Tangini Got Sucker-Punched in RD 3 ~ Merged

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Matty Jets, May 2, 2006.

1. Jabba the Jet

Jabba the Jet New Member

Just caught wind of this ... :sad:

Gil Brandt on Sirius actually said that the Jets Were on the phone with Gocong when the eagles picked him. They were going to take him a few picks later and got burned on the trade.

#21 Jabba the Jet, May 2, 2006
    Last edited: May 2, 2006
  2. Matty Jets

Matty Jets Well-Known Member

its all mind pollution now, as the longer we think of it, as i have, the worse it is..btw, nice post and thinking jabba

3. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

Getting burned on one pick ain't bad for a couple of youngsters like Tannenbaum and Mangini.

4. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

Randy is a very good writer..and a very good guy...but he has to know that the time he reflected was later updated in another visit...they all mentioned it the day of the draft..something like 4.74...a full 2 tenths lower.

No..he isnt fast...yeah..hes a bit of a reach...but I give like to give benefit of the doubt in a first year draft...if they screwed up....we can get them next year.

5. Warrior

Warrior Member

Can this be serious? I'm going to call a candidate 5 picks ahead of me and tell him you're the man so 31 other teams have 25 minutes to drop a call to this guy - eg. "Gocong, this is BB - we think you're a hell of an athlete and would fit nicely with our team, we're looking at early 4th. Any other interests". Oh yes sir, the Jets just called me 10 minutes ago and told me they were going to pick me with their #76 pick which is just 12 minutes away". Click.

There is a trade at #75 - the Pats... I can't see them getting their panties all curled up in excitement to the point they call this guy with 25 minutes to spare. No sense.

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

You know, Randy Lange is a pretty damn good writer, but he's being very presumptuous in this article. What if the Jets saw something they didn't like when Gocong visited? Was Randy Lange in the room when they rated him? I doubt it. A visit doesn't necessarily mean we are interested enough to draft the guy that early in the 3rd.

7. Warrior

Warrior Member

I could see if the Jets got a little greedy and quietly traded down 5 spots with the Eagles and got burned. But to broadcast it with phone calls before the 71st pick and during the 71st pick after you trade down makes no sense if you're trying to steal one. Mr T can make mistakes, but he is far too savvy to make such a blunder unless it had a purpose.

8. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

If this is the worst mistake they have made all off-season, I'll take it.

9. Matty Jets

Matty Jets Well-Known Member

what makes you think mr.t broadcasted his intentions on gocong

10. sanchizeqb

sanchizeqb Active Member

A mistake I'm more then willing to live with a rookie coach and a rookie GM, no?

11. Warrior

Warrior Member

By broadcasting - calling this kid up before they traded down ( so one story infers) and then calling him again after trading down. When you call a candidate up 25 minutes before you pick him it gives other teams the opportunity to find out. Something that I'm pretty sure you don't want to risk. What's the point in telling a player that we are going to pick you at #76 before #71 is even chosen. It makes no sense.

12. phatnols

phatnols Member

The 3rd rnd was by far the FO's worst rnd, BUT it doesnt mean anything. Its the 3rd rnd how many players actually become an impact? What percentage of these players end up starting for their originally drafted team for 5 years? We wont know this for 5 years and by that time we will have forgotten Schlegal and Gocong. And we will say we should have drafted "Joe Blow"....... insert any great 3rd rnd pick. This will be forgotten unless Gocong is that guy who becomes the next great. I will place my chips on the table and gamble he wont be the next great 3rd rnder.

13. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

Make sure you have the same attitude when you we have no pass rush next year. They didn't grab one guy to get to the QB.

14. Warrior

Warrior Member

The Jets defensive scheme will not rely on one player who has the talent to get to the QB. They will have multiple schemes and defensive maneuvering to create mismatches. Some plays it will be Thomas other times it will be Vilma or a safety or an interior lineman. They don't predicate getting to the QB on a Johnny Abraham type.

15. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

We are going to suck this year, and one of the reasons is because they seem to have decided to get the position players in that needed development early.

3-4 OLB and 4-3 DE are areas that we could find instant success with the right kind of rookie in next year's draft. ILBs take seasoning most of the time and I'm not sure what is going on with this safety, but they must really be sold on him, or really want to give Rhodes some youthful competition.

16. phatnols

phatnols Member

I hate saying this but they must be relying on B Thomas as the edge rusher. He is in his contract year so you never know. You can also say they didnt get the true DT also. Those are my 2 positions I am not happy about after this draft, but there is still 4 months til game 1. So they can fill those 2 spots from somewhere by then. last yr I was pissed when they didnt get a tackle to replace Mc Kenzie and they never addressed it. Sometimes with the cap and junky FA's avialable you cant fill your need so you have to go with what you got. Plus not every player drafted starts or plays right away, we all wish that, but it never happens that way.

17. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I agree......I doubt the Jets called Gocong and said we are drafting you at #76.

Hindsight is 20/20, who knows what the Jets were thinking and who they were considering at #71. Trading down is a risk you take in losing the player you want on your board. I do believe Schlegel and E. Smith were reaches in their respective spots, but I do like their potential to be very good players.

Some people critized Tangini for taking Mangold at #29 and said we should have taken him at #35.....it would have been a huge mistake. Mangold probably would have been gone at #35 and Clemens wouldn't have lasted to Rd 3.

18. Warrior

Warrior Member

Some consider Gocong a reach at #71. If the Jets truly wanted him and they played "the value" game, trading down for a #7 pick was a good value move to get Gocong, however, they got burned (if they relly wanted him). So, if you want someone you can get burned because you didn't reach for him.

19. JetInAbsentia

JetInAbsentia New Member

If this is actually what happened - and while I think Lange has it, that line about the Jets having Gocong on the phone can't be true - then at worst it's a learning experience for a talented group of drafter for 2007.

Because, as Abyzmul said - we weren't going to be good anyway in '06.

20. tdoublee

tdoublee Active Member

Yep, they learned their lesson screwing around trading picks. It happens to the best of them, even the big Tuna has made some mistakes.