Taking off the green glasses...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

If we can establish a slightly better run game against a Patriots defense that lacks some significant former starters, we might have a chance. If BB can't force us into those 3rd and 8, 3rd and 9 situations we have a chance of kicking their ass.

On the other side of the ball, I can't wait to see our confident DEF knock Brady's little butt all over the field.

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Great game to watch yesterday as the Jet Defense dictated exactly what was going to happen and where. Sanchez played a great game and even though he did have his rookie moments, still was much much better than his opposite number.

Jones is a grinder and it was good to see him break loose twice for big gains. He's not AP so lets be clear here. He's gonna get quiet yards that will count in the big picture. The run first mentality might need tweaking until Sanchez starts to make defenses pay for stacking the box. And he will make them pay no doubt.

On to Week 2 and perhaps Sanchez's biggest test so far in his QB life. He'll be going up against BB and we'll see how the kid does against the elite of the AFC if not the league. He did alright against Baltimore so the Pats shouldn't scare him out of his game..

3. Section 227. Row 5

Hahahahahahaa...... the end of the BB Era! Brady and Belichick are going to have their hands full. I wonder how many times Brady picks on Lito Sheppard this week. That's about our only real Achilles Heel.

4. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Don't underestimate the impact that film has on week 2 in the NFL.

5. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Yes, you saw what I did. Very impressive. A complete antithesis of some of our prior opening days over the last 5 years.

The team played their tails off for Rex yesterday. Sanchez has what it takes to be good in this league. I was skeptical at first, but not now. I think Sanchez is definitely ahead of the curve for where I would have expected him to be. Sanchez has some phenominal foot-work (that was what probably stood out for me over everythig else because you really can't teach that to the degree Sanchez has it). I am looking forward to watching the kid develop.

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

This is how I feel. The defense surprised the hell out of me with their effectiveness minus Ellis and Pace. Jenkins was the monster that I have come to know and love, and the blitzes were what I have been hoping for. The D was physical and aggressive and bitch-slapped the Houston O from the word GO.

The running game... it was terrible in the first half. You have to give it to Schotty how he made adjustments in the second half and capitalized, but for a team that is supposedly going to rely heavily on the run, I was shaking my head a lot on the rushing downs.

Sanchez and our reviled receiving corps were the reason we got it going on O in the first half. He made some rookie mistakes, but I still can't belive this is a rookie with only a season worth of college starts. I am high on this kid already.

The Jets still have a ton of work to do, but that was a dominant game from the defensive standpoint and I can only hope that side of it continues.

7. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

The Pats are clearly not going to fear us at all, but they better respect us.

8. Section 227. Row 5

You nailed my impressions of Sanchez perfectly. Any doubts about starting Sanchez over Clemens are long gone for me this morning. We made the right choice, no question about it. I'm just overwhelmed now at how glaring are the comparisons between the two!

9. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I hope they aren't foolish enough to think that even with Brady they are even close to that '07 team. They aren't.

10. Section 227. Row 5

I agree, but then there's still Weasely Welker and Randy Moss to contend with. Somebody needs to deliver a hit on Welker that knocks him into the Twilight Zone.

Defensively, they are not the '07 team. Bottom line is, we have a shot, especially since they'll have a short week. I like the fact that our guys get to sit back tonight and watch their game in its entirety too. Every guy needs to examine his position and look for weaknesses to exploit.

Week Two is going to be interesting as hell in the AFC East.

11. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

i don't know what everyone else saw, but i saw the jets physically dominate the texans for 4 quarters. the defense was great, i mean the texans made into to scoring range once all day and they forced a fumble before the offense could get any points.

on offense the lack of a steady running game was concerning, but in his first start sanchez showed that putting the game on him won't be a problem. anyone who isn't excited about his ability to make plays on third down is blind to just how difficult converting those third and longs is for any qb.

as far as im concerned the jets put every team on the schedule on notice that this offense will not be handcuffed by a rookie qb. anyone who though they could just sell out against the run and force sanchez to beat them is now going to be rethinking that strategy. every year i'm happy to note that i must just be too young to be as miserable about this team as some of you. that was one of the best games i have seen the jets play and we are still trying to make it seem like some kind of lucky fluke win.

12. mj2sexay

mj2sexay Active Member

I don't think the op should be entirely disregarded with the point that the Jets caught a number of breaks, some they manufactured on their own and some just with the luck of falling on a fumble. Leon breaking up what would've been a costly INT immediately comes to mind. That play was HUGE, if Leon doesn't essentially play defensive back that's an early pick in our own territory.

13. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Yeah, if one has to look for negatives, the flip side of converting all those third downs was how often they had to.

Still a great performance, though.

14. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

to me hardly any of that is luck. leon making that play was great awareness of the situation and just a great individual play. falling on fumbles also takes great awareness. sure if the ball bounces in a weird way things might have been different, but the texans offense only threatened to score once the whole day. the defense probably could of held up even if another turnover or two happens.

anyone who wants to see a lucky play/win should go watch the last few minutes of the broncos bengals game.

15. tpjets62

tpjets62 Member

Alot of the sports analyst were making comments later in the day about how good he looked and he is way ahead of where they would expect him to be for his first game, myself included. I know there will be bumps in the road, but this kid looks like he has a lot of upside.

16. Kaiser

Kaiser Member

This team will only get better as the season goes on. I think it was important to setup the passing game last night to show teams that we can win that way, so they don't think we're going to put it all on TJ's back. This way, teams won't be able to stack the box and will have to respect the pass.

17. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

One thing I'm really looking forward to see is how Belichick aka Captain Asshole does without his "soldiers." No Vrabel, no Seymour, no Harrison, no Bruschi. I know BB has a lot of studs back there still (Wilfork, Mayo, etc.) but this is the first crack we get at a BB team without some big time mainstays. Should be veeeeeeery interesting.

18. EAF29

EAF29 Member

The Jets D looked phenominal, not giving up a single point. The offense looked good, though TJ had a tough time in the beginning. You couldn't ask for anything more out of a rookie qb starting his first game. I am excited about his future. The only negative I could find was that we were called for several false starts and a delay of game. Starting first and 15 instead of first and 10 against the Pats or one of the better D's in the league will make it a lot tougher to get first downs. However, that kind of thing can get drilled on in practice.
    Overall yesterday was a good day to be Jet fan. And to stick it to ESPN who had like 13-14 analysts picking the Texans.

19. DMSMaven

DMSMaven Member

Absolutely .... Luck ? .... You don't lose EVERY fumble, and EVERY wounded duck doesn't get intercepted .... Their offense couldn't muster a Field Goal against our D ....

And agree again .... That interception ... fumble return was as lucky as it gets ... at best he should have been down where he was tackled, instead the ball bounces thier way and into thier guys arms and he takes it to the house ....

20. southsidejet

southsidejet Member

Another fantastic point from Winston. I was thinking this after the game last night about how the looks from the D side will have to evolve to prevent other teams getting too much of a clue once more film gets available. This worried me for a short while until I remembered that Ryan's previous defences have been able to be dominant.

I belive it's going to come down to the players maintaining the correct attitude and aggresion as the season goes on. I think we'll find out how good this d is personnel wise in around 7 games or so