Speculation: Jets can't keep both Holmes & Edwards-NY Post

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jersey Joe 67, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

Tanny doesn't even know right now which he wants to keep, but I think he'll have a pretty damn good idea once the sides start talking money. If just one of those guys asks for the moon, I'd consider ourselves lucky and sign the other.

2. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

It's the NY Post. They aren't known for great editing.

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I think they know which one they would keep over the other if it came down to it and all things were equal. My guess is Santonio would be #1.

4. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

Its hard not to think that way.

But if you hear him.......... or well read his tweets he seems like he wants to be here, and win. So make it happen Braylon. Take less money!

5. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

I am sorry but the little that Wilson played he looked lost for the most part, yes he was a rookie but if he isnt with Thurman everyday this offseason then something is wrong. I would say we need a DB then nomatter where Wilson was drafted. I dont think Cro is always the answer, he is suspect in coverage at times. I think we are spoiled with watching Revis play and are looking for the next Revis to come along. The only one is ASO, I am not saying we should sign him but look at it this way, if what we would pay Edwards/Cro could get us ASO/T.O. or Moss would you do it? I am sorry but T.O. being 38 means nothing he is in perfect shape its his attitude you have to worry about. The man had the same type of year that Edwards had on paper.

6. ........

........ Trolls

If those market numbers are accurate (5 to 6 for Braylon, 7 to 8 for Holmes), we'd absolutely better sign both of them. Should be able to convince Sanchez to rework that nearly $18 million cap number and can get their cap value around $11 million next year if they're combining for a $13 million average.

7. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

In a perfect world we'd re-sign cro and the 2 WRs but I think we'll probably have to settle for 2 of the 3 and I would put Cro at #3 on that list.

8. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

TO has the same team value as a bad fart in a crowded room of people.

9. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

Of Cro/Braylon/Holmes, two will get signed, the other franchised and traded to the first suitor (out of division) to get a pick back. I'm more than willing to bet that it's Cromartie.

10. ........

........ Trolls

Provided there is such a thing as the franchise tag any more. The nice part is I doubt FA gets started early enough for the pick to come this year. I'd rather have it for next season when there will all but certainly be a rookie scale.

11. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

That's where my head's at as well.

I think they will not be resigned before the Jets take care of their own cap issues first. Get Sanchez's base salary down, fix Gholston's disgusting cap number, do you cut Bryan Thomas because he's at this point useless in the pass rush game and costs nothing against the cap?

There are a lot of questions this offseason and will truly put Tanny's number crunching to the test. I think they survive this mess of FA and CBA and continue the success they've been having.

If Holmes and Edwards can wait, the Jets will have the money for them. I think they'll be willing to wait if the Jets pay them fair market price.

12. ........

........ Trolls

I don't think there's anything that can be done about Gholston's cap number. Those advances count as signing bonuses and all tag the cap. The only thing left to do would be to reallocate his roster bonus to a signing bonus, but then you make it almost impossible to cut him next year.

And if you sign an OLB and draft another, you absolutely take BT's $3.7 million and say goodbye.

13. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

Ugh, it is only speculation, but I can't imagine the top priority is signing Cro.

14. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

That's not really plausible this year is it?

15. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

Yeah, I doubt Sanchez would be unwilling to restructure to sign his two favourite weapons.

16. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

I'm not a cap expert: are these things possible?

1.) Sanchez's salary is high but how much lower than 14.8 do you think you could get him to go? I guess if you extended him a few years you could smooth it out to 11 million a year or something but he's a QB and he's going to make a lot of money.

2.) Is there any way to fix Gholston's cap number? The big problem is all of the bonuses he's been paid in past. How would you fix it?

3.) If we cut Thomas and his 3.7 million salary who do we get that's better in the pass rush game?

17. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

yeah I just looked at his 2012 numbers. His contract is a virtual ass fuck.

If I'm Tanny I'm making that phone call anyway and insult the agent's client. He insulted the organization by stealing top 6 money and doing nothing. Fuck his paycut, he should be cut. period.

I really do wonder if its worth it to take the dead money hit and find somone who isn't afraid to attack the QB and can set the edge just as well as he can. Gholston gets outplayed by UDFAs. He might as well be sent on his way to a 43 NFC team and the Jets can find someone with an actual ceiling to take his place. I can find a kid in the 6th round who loves football and can make the same impact. I'm sick of Vernon Gholston.

18. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

I'd be shocked if they could not get them to 4/6. (Especially if you go more than single years....)

Holmes is one step away to a year off. No matter how solid he is, what team is going to want to go 7/8 on a guy who is 2 Jack and Cokes and a random stop away from a year off ?

And this is the first year Braylon has stepped up to what he should be.

Look at last years numbers at the position.

http://content.usatoday.com/sportsdata/football/nfl/salaries/position/WR/2009

Edit..4 is a little low.

5/6...tops

#38 Hobbes3259, Jan 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  19. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

1) I'm pretty sure you can decrease that cap number just by guaranteeing that money (since he's not in any danger of being cut)

2) Someone answered it above.

3) Bryan Thomas is terrible in pass rush.

20. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

If I'm the Jets I'm asking how Sanchez can make more than Peyton and Brady. That has to be reduced. I think they can get him down to 13.7. 14 is what Manning is being paid now. Sanchez has to get under 14.

Gholston's number can't be fixed. I'm willing to take the cap hit and find a 34 DE who does what he does but for a few 100k and can play special teams. An actual football player who loves the game and doesn't have cement hips.

BT is a JAG and had a crappy year. He doesn't get consistent pressure anymore. I'd love to draft a kid in his place and start him right away. There are a handful of kids they can get in the draft that can give the same production.