Somewhere Kellen Clemens is Smiling

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Poeman, Mar 1, 2008.

1. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Well, it's been proven because he used to play in front of a really good line. I think we should atleast give Clemens a chance to play in front of a good OL like we'll have this year before we make a final judgement.

2. KRhodesMVP

KRhodesMVP Banned

THeres plenty of reasons to be optimistic about Clemens playing with a much improved suppporting cast as compared to Pennington. Clemens is young and will be entering 08 with some actual experience under his belt. He also has a big arm and can move. Pennington is over the hill and 3 shoulder surgeries (or however many) have left his arm strength at a level that is no longer adequate. In addition, he cannot move.

Heres a question: WOuld you prefer we head into 08 with a unproven quarterback with lots of ability or a quarterback who cant move and has the worst arm in the league?

3. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

I would prefer that we go with the QB that has proven able to take this team to the playoffs with a good support system,instead of spending all this money in FA only to have another rebuilding year and test run at QB. Clemens will get his shot in TC. It's just my honest opinion that he will not be the starter.

4. typeOnegative13NY

Yeah,he'll get his shot again. I just don't see him topping Chad. I just get the feeling it's going to be someone else that takes over for Chad.

5. Tommy22

Tommy22 New Member

It's been proven Pennington is talented, sure. It's also been proven that Pennington doesn't have an arm. You can't dink and dunk your way to a championship offense.

A big arm and deep threat will open up the running game by stretching the safeties and linebackers. With a competent offensive line, you get time to make plays. The problem with Pennington is that extra time doesn't matter after 20 yards, because he's not throwing further than that anyway.

Tom Brady could have quarterbacked the Jets last year, and they would have had a losing record. I don't care how good you are, you need protection. Give Clemens protection and you'll see the talent.

6. typeOnegative13NY

We have seen Chad make some good pretty deep throws. I don't think it's as much that he can't. No,he doesn't have even close to a "strong" arm,but he can throw.

7. ess-dog

ess-dog New Member

If Chad is the starter next year we just took 3 steps back.

It's time to move on and go with Kellen with the upgraded OL.

8. All Star

All Star Active Member

And also letting his favorite WR walk in free agency, only to go ahead and trade his new best receiver back for him. Realize we could have had Santana Moss and Coles lined up on offense for a while instead of Coles or Moss and McCareins. Plus Cotchery..........

Meh.

And who is the third pic in the first post?

9. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

I Think Chads somewhere smilling too

10. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

Please

If Mangini thinks Chad is the better QB, I'll take his word over the armchair analysts here who I'm sure will be going nuts on this board.

In fact, I'd love to see Chad win the QB competition just to see the reaction here :)

11. Going4TheGreen

Going4TheGreen Well-Known Member

The third pic is Leon Washington.

Damn, it pains me to see so many moronic statements made about Chad. I think we should just be fans only when Chad is healthy, because when he is he's good for AT LEAST a playoff appearance behind a top 5 O-Line with a HOF RB :rolleyes:. You can keep saying he's proven but players' production decline. It's what have you done for me lately.

It's not: You can't effectively move through the pocket, you make mistakes now, you don't put zip on the ball which eliminates a lot of routes, you have a slow release, you can't put the ball in the endzone, you have been through 2 shoulder surgeries and you're only 31, going on 32, you are our starter.

12. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I have no objection over who gets the nod; if Mangini thinks Chad can get the job done, then so be it. Maybe he's better than how he looked last season.

If Clemens gets the nod, so be it. Either way, I trust that Mangini will have the best QB on the field.

13. vcoach

vcoach New Member

agree

ding ding we have a winner!

14. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

Exactly, in Mangini We Trust

After this offseason, I see little reason not to trust their judgment. Mangini and Tannenbaum are smart and will do what is best for the team.

15. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

I think the CS is right on this off season. And don't forget, if you like the FA signings, if you like the bankroll we still have to spend, if you appreciate their managing the draft, then the competition between Chad and Kellen is part of the deal too. Whoever wins, that's the best thing for the team.

We don't want some wet-behind-the-ears guy who doesn't know the first thing about BS's offense leading this team, or seconding our one remaining BS seasoned QB.

The CS want to keep Chad and Kellen, regardless of who comes in first, because the competition will make them both a lot better in the system and with their team mates.

Bet on it.

16. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

On SNY. He's smiling and wearing make-up. :up:

17. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

The screen at work was in a bad light. It looked like Clemens was giving the bird. I always see things in the abstract. No help for me there.

18. Klecko10

Klecko10 Member

Sorry but you are wrong. Both QBs were terrible last year, but Pennington outplayed the kid. They had about the same number of pass attempts last year and probably all of Chads numbers were better than Clemens. If you want to chalk that up to inexperience, fine. And I expected more out of Chad too, he made some terrible, terrible throws, but to say Kellen played better is just plain false. Also, all this live arm talk is horsesh--. Our offense looked almost exactly the same with Clemens. Where were all the down-the-field throws? Also his accuracy was terrible. Chads bomb in the Bengals game was a much better deep ball then Kellen's in the Steeler game. Now who do I think will be or should be the QB for the future? I don't know. Chad may not even be here and he's 32, but it's just that I didn't see a whole lot from Clemens that makes me feel excited about the future. If Pennington is still here next season, then I want to see Clemens clearly and decisively beat Chad out in camp, and then I will feel a little better. But if Chad comes in shape and beats him out I think I want to go with the guy that can get us to the playoffs if a good team is around him, until a better player comes our way. I'm tired of waiting, been watching this team for 30 years, and I really wanted Clemens to play well from the beginning so we don't have to wait for 2-3 years to see if he sucks and try something else.

19. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I hope to hell its on a plane to Kansas City.

20. KRhodesMVP

KRhodesMVP Banned

The QB competition will not happen because Chad will be starting for some miserable franchise (Hopefully KC). Clemens will have 08 to prove all the doubters and dopey sportswriters wrong.