Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Brook!, Feb 18, 2023.

1. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

My friends said USA looked awful in Copa America.

Whatever that means.

2. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

USA has a coaching problem. The roster is talented enough to win. They lost against an abysmal Panama team and basically played a die or survive game against Uruguay which is a very good team. Of course they lost that game with a controversial offside goal.

USA's priority should be finding a decent coach from Europe. Throw money at the coach and let him get this team ready for World Cup in 2 years.

3. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

I'm one that generally thinks coaches get too much blame, and too much credit, for teams' performances (in most sports), but in this case, yes, it's time for Berhalter to go. The team is underperforming and regressing, not progressing. And they have literally never beaten a good team in a meaningful game, in the 6 years of Berhalter.

However I also think the players may be a little overrated, by us fans, and by themselves. Other than Pulisic, and maybe Tyler Adams and Antonee Robiinson, who is a consistent, top quality player?

It's embarrassing, and ultimately it has do with the whole pay-to-play development system in this country.

Brook! likes this.
  4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I dont understand though, we have hundreds of D1 college soccer programs. I get it that its not like Europe over here but still seems like a lot of talent to draw from

5. Brook!

I like Weston McKennie as well as some others who play in Europe. Honestly a good coach is the one who elevates their team. Look at this year's Austria team. Their talent level was probably lower than USA team and Turkiye team. But they are a better team due to their coach Ralf Ragnick. A team is more than the sum of players sometimes. My dream coach for USA is Tuchel. If not him throw money at Klopp. Bring a marquee game and make World Cup in USA memorable. :)

6. Brook!

A very good point BN. USA youth is athletically talented. With so many college programs I am also surprised USA doesn't generate as many talents. Maybe it is the soccer culture in this country. No soccer game is shown on TV's as much as it is in Europe, Africa, Latin America. Soccer doesn't domunate the culture as much it does in other countries. Maybe not enough qualified coaches. Don't laugh at me please but my son was playing for New Jersey Youth Team. During their games I was about to kill myself due to incompetence of the coaches not reading the game properly and make adjustments. So maybe not enough qualified coaches to bring up the talent in this country.

How is your soccer adventure going? Which team did you adopt finally? I know you started with Palace if I am not mistaken and I recommended Newcastle United. :)

7. BrowningNagle

I saw the documentary series Welcome to Wrexham and I have now fully adopted them as my team. They are in League 1 now

Brook! likes this.
  8. Brook!

Please also adopt my beloved Galatasaray:)

9. Satan

Satan Well-Known Member

10. BrowningNagle

if I can’t pronounce the team name I can’t root for them :)

11. Brook!

Turkish nationalism on the rise. That salute represents the Grey Wolf that is believed to guide Turkish tribes out of Far East into Near East. A lot of Nazi type fascists in Turkey are using it as sign of Turkish fascism and there is a big cry in Turkey over this investigation.

12. Brook!

Fair enough but know that we are also called Gala by Europeans for ease. :)

13. Satan

Satan Well-Known Member

Thanks almost like soccer teams from yugoslavia and their salutes

Brook! likes this.
  14. Brook!

Anthony Taylor is a terrible ref. How did UEFA assign him to Spain-Germany game is beyond me.

15. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

He always makes it about himself.

Brook! likes this.
  16. Brook!

Yep. He always seeks attention and makes himself bigger than the game itself. Fuck him.

17. BrowningNagle

See I didn’t think that was a handball but I’m new to this game, looked like he was trying to get out of the way. I like Germany’s style though with all the passing, fun to watch but Spain won fair and square

can’t believe Canada is in the semifinals and we’re not

18. Brook!

England squad is way too talented to play such a boring football really. Come on Southgate.

19. Brook!

Canadian team has some world class talent. Alphonso Davies will move from Bayern Munchen to Real Madrid. Jonathan David plays for Lille in France and very well known globally. They also have other players in some good European soccer teams. Not surprising to see them do well.