So how long do Rex and Tanny have

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by maynardsmyhero-uk, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Mr. Green Pants

I feel for Rex. I honestly believe he's a good coach who's been undone by poor management and his faith in a soft-in-the-head, wannabe celebrity quarterback.

2. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

So funny. Nicely done...

3. jetstopgun

jetstopgun Well-Known Member

i`m hoping we don`t win another game!!!!! and fans stop showing up .... this will get woody`s attention, that a change has to be made!!!!!!!

4. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

I would keep Rex and get rid of Tanny.

5. fltflo

fltflo Active Member

Everyone from the owner on down will have to see how the rest of the season plays out. Hard to believe this is the same team that just played the Pats to a stand still last week. The same Pats who put up 45 on the Rams today.
    The whole team is starting to reflect its QB with this jekyll &hyde crap we are seeing week to week. Really think Rex could make a good long term head coach, yet, he may be running out of time here. B

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You have to get rid of most of the roster if you do this. Rex has blown his credibility with most of the players on this roster right now. The first people to know a team is poorly coached are the ones on the team.

7. DanR

DanR Active Member

Get rid of Tanny, Rex gotta go too.

8. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

tanny has until end of reg season.

rex has until 2013 end of year.

9. Rex's Sweater Vest

Rex's Sweater Vest Active Member

I don't want to get rid of Rex, I think he is a good coach, better than whatever else is on the market. I don't want to go into rebuilding mode with an unproven rookie HC who used to coach in college or was a coordinator, I think people vastly overestimate Cowher and Gruden even though they are good coaches, and I doubt Cowher wants to come here, he is a control freak and Woody wouldn't allow him to be both coach and gm like he wants to be.

Rex has had a disservice done to him by Tanny, he has consistently been given a team that does not have enough talent to win it all. This falls on Tannenbaum. I think our 09 and 10 teams were not as talented as the opponents we faced in the playoffs and that is a testament to Rex's coaching in going 4-2.

We need to get rid of Sanchez, get a real starting caliber QB, get rid of Tannenbaum and hire Bill Polian. Let Rex finish out his contract, and if he doesn't coach well enough, simply let it expire and don't bring him back, if the team improves in the second half of this season and next season then give him an extension.

10. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

What do you think of keeping Sanchez next year but drafting a QB to sit behind him. Let Sanchez finish out his contract next year with that QB waiting in the wings. The QB steps in for injury or we go 1-7 under Sanchez. Or we wait to the end of the season. Then Sanchez leaves, we are on our second draft, build up some remaining weak position, and give that new young QB a solid team around him and build off of that? While keeping Rex. That seems like the most reasonable way to keep Rex and make Tanny and Sanchez the fall guys while keeping Rex

11. SackExchange69

SackExchange69 Well-Known Member

With the defense a hot mess, blowhard has become a liability so its time for him to go. Its Gruden time!

12. wildaces

wildaces Banned

I don't believe Rex has a lot of say in the personal. Tanny put the Jets in the position for 3 straight years without a viable back up quarterback. This board (not all) constantly tries to defend Sanchez with excuses such as the line, WR's, running game. The Jets are not the only team with these woes, and I also don't agree with the excuses. On any other team, Sanchez is not starting.

As far as Rex supporting Sanchez publicly, What is he suppose to say?

That being said, Rex needs to make the tough decisions, and he hasn't done that in 4 years.

13. MiamiDolphin

MiamiDolphin Active Member

This is probably the best road to travel. Rookie QB gets to sit for 1 year while Sanchez plays out his contract.

That's what I would do, anyway.

14. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Rex I still have faith in. Tanny is a bum.

15. Backup QB

Backup QB Active Member

John Gruden or Bill Cowher would be 10x better than Rex.

16. Rex's Sweater Vest

Rex's Sweater Vest Active Member

The way I see it, this organizations needs to evaluate who forms the core of this franchise. As I see it, Revis, Harris, Wilkerson, Coples, Cromartie, Davis, Mangold, Brick, Hill, and Kerley are the only guys I really care about being here long term. Everyone is else expendable as far as I'm concerned. But tbh I'm really not sold on drafting another rookie qb and starting this whole process over. It seems these days that drafting QBs is a hit or miss proposition with far more misses than hits. I think this team could be a serious contender with someone like a Kyle Orton at QB, a reliable game manager who doesn't make mistakes could take this team very far. All of this assumes we fix our other issues though. I think Kerley and S. Hill are going to become Jet favorites in the long term, the Jets need to decide if they want to re sign Keller, I'd be all for it. On offense if we could just acquire an elite running back, and another good wide receiver, coupled with a good QB I think we'd be set. On defense I think we are only going to get better, if we keep adding to the youth movement we started with drafting Wilkerson.

I'd rather invest money in the skill players and on defense than invest it in another unproven rookie QB. I think we can all agree Sanchez isn't worth the cap hit we take for having him, we could improve so much more if he wasn't taking up so much space, and an improvement over him at QB wouldn't be hard to find.

17. lakersmetsjets49ers

unless the switch at coaching would be a for sure upgrade, bill cowher maybe, i think it's in the jets best interest to ride it out with rex and keep him around and let him coach the team as they rebuild. succesful teams have a level of consistency and stability at the coaching position goes a long way. you don't see the upper level teams in the league changing coaches every 3-4 years.

now regarding tanny, his decision making or lack thereof is a big reason why their in the shitty position their in. rex ryan is a good coach and would be a very good coach on a team with talent. bottom line, keep rex, fire tanny.

18. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Interesting. My thinking is, at some point you have to draft a QB. Orton or an older game manager can work if we have someone behind them learning. Otherwise if we miss with the game manager we are where you don't want to be. I disagree on more misses than hits. You have a lot of younger QBs that have shown some great potential but obviously years away from telling where they are or will end up. I think you have to eventually draft another guy. That's where I want to move Tanny into a numbers role and try to get a new scouting department or talent evaluation.

The other benefit is with rookie wage scales, if we get a high pick, it isn't expensive for the team. I was thinking a 2nd/3rd rounder at QB. Someone we think could be great but someone that needs some learning. We aren't bad enough to draft high enough to get a day 1 starter.

At some point, we have to get that new, "franchise" QB. We could win with a game manager, but I think it's easier to win by setting up a consistent winning team than catching lightning in the bottle with a game manager. While the game manager approach gives us a better shot next year, I think correcrtly drafting a QB gives us a better shot the next 4-6 years.

It's an interesting discussion because we are at a crossroads as a franchise it seems. I do like getting a game manager like Hasselback and still drafting someone. We have the QB for 1-2 years, but have a QB for 5-6 years hopefully.

19. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

I endorse this enthusiastically and unreservedly!

20. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Ryan Nassib could be the player, IMO.