Slaying the Hype Monster OR The Haters Thread

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Green Hurricane, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I thought I was the only one thinking Fairley is ABSOLUTELY not worth the 1st overall pick... good player? sure! Top 5 talent? most probably (depends on work ethic, on potential alone sure)

But thank you Warren Sapp:

Fairly ... we're going to see. I think he's going to go through the gaunlet and be left wanting. I don't see anything extra special with Fairly that I want to see. He doesn't have a great get-off, I don't see great technique, great work ethic. I see him as bigger and faster than the guys he was playing against. He won't get that on this level. He'll have to prove he can go. He might have some trouble.

Taken from a chat on NFL.com... question was what he thinks of Fairley (obviously)...

BTW another thank you goes to him because I hate how during the draft process very few analysts openly criticize a prospect. If you listen to them it always sounds like everyone drafted from rd 1 to rd 7 will have success and stay in the league 10 yrs... have the balls to say what your true opinion is!!! Sapp is one of the few that doesn't sugar coat his analysis...

#61 Mambo9, Feb 14, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  2. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

^ can he spell his name correctly?

And Mayock is another guy who criticizes guys. He called out BJ Raji on something, but I can't remember what it was.

Jon Gruden will not criticize a guy. He likes everyone. But I love Gruden.

3. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Warren Sapp is a dumbass. I could care less what he says about any player, and when he says Fairley is bigger than SEC offensive linemen, that just shows how stupid he is.

Nick Fairley absolutely dominated in the best conference in college football. I don't give a fuck what Sapp sees in his game - like your opinion on the kid, Sapp's opinion on Fairley doesn't matter at all.

#63 Mr Electric, Feb 14, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
  4. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I think he's trying to pull off a word-play... that he likes him fairly... if that makes sense...

That said while I might not necessarily respect Sapp's opinion on say a WR I think he knows what he's talking about when discussing DLs and specifically DTs...

As for criticizng players I don't think Mayock really criticizes much... sure he points out some negatives but to him everyone is a good pick and a pick he loves... C'mon Mike, you're an excellent analyst... speak the truth! I can't believe you think every single prospect will make it...

5. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Mayock has too much integrity to outright call out a player and say he's going to fail in the NFL. That's not his job.

He however will point out the negatives and character issues. He's a true scout. Scouts don't publicly say "I think he's going to fail."

He never put a 1st round grade on Jamarcus Russell, and he basically said that the Cam Newton media workout was a fucking waste of time without actually saying that. He alluded to the fact that shorts and choreographed workouts mean absolute zero. He criticizes without criticizing, which is why he's so good at what he does.

6. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

+1

What Mayock does say.." I have to go back to the tape and study this player".

McShay will openly criticize a player. Even Kiper has toned down his critcism over the years.

7. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Everytime McShay pops up on a TV (that I don't own), I begin to laugh over his analysis so I don't hear what he has to say.

I remember Mayock saying he didn't get to much tape on a couple of linemen and had no opinion on them other than a small summary on what they've done.

He also raises his hand and says "I had a second round grade on CJ2K" and explains why. I wish everyone was like Mike Mayock.