Simply pathetic officiating

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LAJet, Oct 1, 2023.

1. cval

cval Well-Known Member

PI is tough to review RTP should definitely be reviewed. I think all calls/egregious or game-changing non-calls should be reviewed silently in the background.

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I agree. anything that is a "big penalty" should be reviewed right away from an upstairs independent team and relayed down to the refs . coaches shouldn't have to have limited challenges and throw challenge flags

NCJetsfan, Jets79 and cval like this.
  3. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Responded in the wrong thread so putting it here where it belongs lol.

"It was disgusting, I am on a group text with friends I play football with and we were constantly back and forth watching all the games with "there's another one" and check this game or that game watching call after call that were horrifically bad. Many costing teams W's, changing the game we love for the worst. The refs need some accountability or make them full time, the fact they aren't is an injustice to fans. Colts and Rams fans should be sick today, if they miss the playoffs by a game the backlash should justifiably be deafening."

4. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Careful with that - it may make the game unwatchable. Might keep me away from going to the games. Replay sucks for fans in the seats. You'll never truly experience a "TV Timeout" until you're at a game wondering "why is nothing happening?" (Only loud music) Once or twice I forgot who had possession...

stinkyB likes this.
  5. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I favor a combo of this idea, along with lesser yardage on some calls and the removal of automatic first downs on other calls, as has been suggested here. They did it with the running into the kicker calls years ago and it made a positive difference.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don’t want most of it reviewable. Just personal fouls/roughing the passer or helmet to helmet hits.

And yeah agreed for the in-stadium experience. But college football reviews all of these hits and it doesn’t hurt the length of the game IMO.

Jets79 likes this.
  7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Making those calls reviewable ain't going to help.

8. jixxjr

jixxjr Well-Known Member

All I want is consistency.

How often have we seen a QB slammed upside the head, and there’s no call yet, other times, the slightest brush is called Roughing the passer?

How often have we seen an offensive lineman literally tackle a defender and the is no call, yet, in the same game, see a critical holding called over something debatable at best?

How often do we see defensive backs mugging WR’s 20 yards down field and nothing is called and yet the slightest touch is pass interference at a critical point in the game?

How often does NFL films glorify HUGE hits (just watch all the videos that came out after Dick Butkus passed away) yet they call unsportsmanlike conduct for such horrible things as landing on top of the person you’re tackling?

Aren’t we supposed to be playing with the same set of rules for every game? If so, then why is there such discrepancy in HOW the game is called?

9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Because too many of the rules are left up to the discretion of the refs.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

Yeah you know it sucks when I feel like I'm holding my breath for a flag any time a good play happens. I'm guessing I'm not the only one either.

What other sport consistently calls possession-altering penalties on guys that aren't remotely involved in the play/where the ball is? It's obscene. What possible logic could there be for this? Does this appeal to anyone?

NCJetsfan and Borat like this.
  11. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Non calls I disagree. There are so many fouls you can call. However, the calls should be reviewable, and the flag should be picked up if it is not obvious that the foul occurred regardless of the call on the field. If it is not obvious on the review, there is no way refs should have called it real time.

Jets79 likes this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

They just need to reword it that all penalties must be blatant and even non calls can be reviewable. I sat there and watched a 3rd down pass form miami last night where the eagles DB grabbed the facemask while the ball was in the air and twisted his head around and there was no call. should have been a PI and/or facemask penalty for a 1st down. that should be reviewable IMO

NCJetsfan and cval like this.
  13. red75bronco

red75bronco Well-Known Member

Referees completely control the game through two or three types of calls. Illegal contact, PI, holding. The no call is as bad as the call. Don’t call holding on one team, call it on other, let DBs mug WRs, call touch fouls on the other team. They did this for years with the Pats.

14. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I am not a fan of these "after the fact" fines the NFL has gotten so fond of. As if these actually make up for missed and/or bad calls.

15. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

The problem is - how do you define blatant? I mean a slight grab of jersey followed by a release which has not even impacted a play is a clear foul. OLineman holding a little could be a clear foul. But what is a "blatant" foul. To me there is no definition, and therefore there should not be a rule. There is non obvious holding going on all the time. Can a team challenge any important play and maybe there was a bit of a tag somewhere, which would then overturn a big play? I think the answer is no. The complexity introduced would outweigh the benefit here IMO. It would do more harm than good.

So, to me it makes more sense to only review the flags. Refs throws a flag, coach can challenge (or automatic if within 2 mins, etc) and then a review needs to clearly show that there was an obvious foul. Kinda like innocent until proven guilty. Like the Sauce penalty - it was not obvious even from every angle of the replay. How could the ref possibly call that a pen if he didn't even see an angle when Sauce supposedly held. Or the RTP that was called on us earlier, where the League apologized. These types of fuck ups should be overturned. But you should not review every play within 2 mins for example to see if someone fouled somewhere amongst 11 players.

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'm sure the gambling sites are very forgiving with missed calls admitted after. Like a Shitcall Discount.

Cman68 likes this.
  17. cval

cval Well-Known Member

The notion of challenging calls is stupid in this day and age. There are officialls in NY watching the game. When an egregious call/noncall happens NY calls the head ref to pick up or throw a flag. Should happen almost real time with little disruption to the game.

kevda5n9ne, Jets79 and NY Jets68 like this.
  18. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I'm gonna start calling them: "Vegas Flags".

NCJetsfan, cval and NY Jets68 like this.
  19. NJJets

NJJets Well-Known Member

The problem stems back to 2012 when the refs went on strike. The NFL just blatantly said screw it and put out replacements without an afterthought of importance to the professionalism of the role, and the refs have been trash ever since. An NFL referee should be a full time job with year round training.

20. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I agree but I heard someone say if they did that they would lose their best officials.