Should Schottenheimer be fired?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Benny Bing, Sep 14, 2010.

?

Should Brian Schottenheimer be fired as Offensive Coordinator?

1. Yes - it is his fault the Jets offense is putrid.

120 vote(s)
    41.5%
  2. No - it is not his fault, it is Sanchez and the players.

84 vote(s)
    29.1%
  3. Maybe - I would like to give him another couple games at least.

108 vote(s)
    37.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I would love to perma-ban the next donk who decides to create a "schotty sucks" thread.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I've been screaming about firing Schotty since the midpoint of the 2007 season. I'd argue that what you saw last night makes my shout back then extra-valid now.

This isn't a one game over-reaction to Brian Schottenheimer. It's the 41st game (approximately) after I first made my oft-repeated request to get rid of Brian Schottenheimer.

Does Kellen Clemens really suck? Or can he just not run that offense? Hopefully we're not asking the same question about Mark Sanchez in two years.

3. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

This.

Everyone's Overreacting Filler.

4. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I'm not a huge fan of his, but the worst thing you you can do to this team and our young QB is a knee jerk reaction one week into a a season where you have big hopes. People love playing for Rex and company, but that attitude would change in a hearbeat if you can a coach one week into the season. For us to have anyhope this season he needs to stay for now.

5. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

why do you hate freedom?

It is sad that this is what obama's america has turned us into.

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Sanchez started as a rookie with a ton of confidence and has devolved into shellshock and impulse dump offs when you have 2 pretty talented wideouts to go to.

I knew they were going to take Keller out of the game for the majority of the time and they were daring the Jets to dump it to LT whenever possible for a pretty short gain. Sanchez was dinking and dunking like it was his religion.

It's impossible to quantify what percentage of that is his development by Brian Schottenheimer, but he would no doubt not be the first QB whose development was stunted by a bad coordinator.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If what we saw last night was representative of the place that Sanchez (who openly snapped at Schotty during a 4th quarter drive) and Schotty are right now then we have no hope this year anyway.

I think if Schotty were canned or relegated to a consultant position and Callahan was elevated to offensive coordinator that the reaction in the locker-room especially on the defensive side of the ball would be positive.

You think those guys liked the amount of time they spent on the field last night? You think any of them think things would be better with Mark Brunell or Kellen Clemens trying to run that offense? Brunell looked terrible trying to make things work in the preseason. Clemens has always looked like a deer in the headlights while trying to make it work.

The only variable that you can change here and hope to have a positive result is Schotty. There's no Steve Young hanging out in that locker-room waiting to emerge to save the day.

8. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

please fire Schottenheimer. Please.

9. WhiteShoeWillis

I hate Schottenheimer but I think it would be counter productive to fire him after week one. That decision should have been made after the Colts game if it were going to be made.

At this point he has a very correctable (IMO) problem on his hands and needs to fix it. If he doesn't show signs of getting it fixed by week four, then I'd consider ditching him during the season.

10. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Sorry man but we just can't defend Schottenheimer anymore, he just hasn't delivered. Give him a few games to come to Jesus but if we go on like this the NFL's greatest defence will have been pissed away. I don't think people are seriously saying fire him right now, people are just pissed and feel let down. But if things don't change, I think people would want him removed him as OC

____

#110 GordonGecko, Sep 14, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  11. jetsaholic1094

jetsaholic1094 New Member

We have this conversation every f-ing year. How many second chances is this guy gonna get? No matter who we have on offense, he always seems to find a way to not get the ball downfield. It's like he's allergic to it.

12. WhiteShoeWillis

I was referring to all the people who continue to create this same thread that we have to merge into it.

13. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Can you guys be any more clueless? The gameplan going in was to limit Sanchez mistakes, win the turnover battle and win the game. We aren't going to face a D like Baltimores the rest of the year.

The gameplan would have worked to perfection if not for some beyond stupid penalties at the worst possible times. The blame for this game falls squarely on the wide shoulders of Rex Ryan who clearly wanted this gameplan and brought in a woefully undisciplined team into the season opener.

14. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

it has apparently turned us into a society too stupid to understand that message board actions have nothing to do with any freedoms.

15. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

I've been bitching for a long time now to get rid of this guy, but I think we are beyond that now, and I'm just tired of bitching about it. We can win with Schotty, but I think the HC needs to keep a boot in his ass over his game calling. I can't take his cutesy play calling/misdirection bullshit, like we were the Indy Colts or something.

We go through this every year with him. He starts his shit on Offense and eventually the plan is scaled back and simplified and we start running smash mouth football again. Once we do we will be better off.

16. cval

cval Well-Known Member

What is this guys track record for developing quarterbacks? KC and now ruining Sanchez we need a big time proven OC to help bring along Sanchez.

Shotty has no feel for how to call a game maybe the JETS should just let Callahan call the game from the booth.

17. VegasMav

VegasMav Well-Known Member

You're serious?

Schotty is holding the reins on Sanchez. If he actually let the kid throw downfield in the last two minutes of the game, we might have been able to see what he really can do.

1-3rd down completion and 6 first downs is not because of Sanchez...it's the playcalling.

18. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

KC was ruined by a bad o-line and the big wigs' decision to bring in Favre. At least they let him throw downfield and win some games. Seems like Schotty gets worse every year.

19. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Do we really think it's just shotty, or that Shotty and Rex decided ahead of time that they were going to be ultra-conservative on offense?

Rex is the one who preaches ground and pound, Shotty the younger unlike his father has always seemed to favor the passing game.

20. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

I can't believe that Sanchez didn't have downfield options in the last two minutes of the game. I'm sure he told Sanchez to throw downfield if he saw it.