Should Schottenheimer be fired?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Benny Bing, Sep 14, 2010.

?

Should Brian Schottenheimer be fired as Offensive Coordinator?

1. Yes - it is his fault the Jets offense is putrid.

120 vote(s)
    41.5%
  2. No - it is not his fault, it is Sanchez and the players.

84 vote(s)
    29.1%
  3. Maybe - I would like to give him another couple games at least.

108 vote(s)
    37.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Benny Bing

Benny Bing New Member

No, not everything was his fault. There were plenty of other bad things.

But the Jets offense was so bad tonight it was like a cosmic sinkhole of momentum and morale.

Anything good the Jets defense did, would be immediately erased by a quick 3 and out.

Sorry Brian. I know this poll infuriates you. But you know, you do suck at calling plays.

2. 624

624 Banned

What? Schottenheimer called an awful game, these are terrible excuses.

3. Benny Bing

Benny Bing New Member

That policy, although usually sound, should not always be adhered to. Schottenheimer is terrible, and has no chemistry with Sanchez. That much is apparent.

I say cut him on the field.

4. The Jutty

The Jutty Banned

I think the answer to the topic is. Of course.

5. UKJetFan

UKJetFan New Member

Should have been fired years ago but as this is the Jets, he'll probably be our next head coach.

6. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

how the fuck is it on Sanchez? it is obvious he's been coached into total fucking fear not to take a chance that may lead to a turnover with a risky throw that he is afraid to throw the ball at all. the problem was the gameplan, and that is coaching.

at some point a QB has to throw the ball up or into coverage and let his receivers go make plays, Flacco did it all game and made things happen, but it was obvious Sanchez was told not to. he looked for the check down all game because he was afraid to throw it downfield. that is easily rectified by a coach telling him to throw it downfield. they clearly didn't do that.

how the hell else are you going to stretch the defense and keep them honest. once the Ravens knew he wasn't going downfield, they just played close to the line, and nobody adjusted.

and I don't know what game you watched, but Flacco played pretty well. or perhaps you simply didn't quite understand what was going on on the field. all those long throws and first downs...that's a sign of a QB playing alright.

7. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

They argued on the sideline for one play because there was confusion, not because Sanchez disapproved of a play.

Many times, QB's go into a huddle with 2 or 3 plays. Once they see the defense, they call out which play they're going to run. They can also audible out of plays (when Sanchez yells "Kill"). This has nothing to do with a qb who doesn't like the plays being called.

Throughout the preseason Sanchez was very shaky, even though the plays were very vanilla. He played scared today and overthrew throws just so that there wouldn't be an interception. I think the offense's lack of scoring is more on Sanchez than on Schotty; although it is Schotty's responsibility to get Sanchez prepared.

At this point, you don't fire anyone. Wait until week 3 and on when we begin to play teams with average defenses, and you see how Sanchez plays. I think we'll be ok.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets either needed to run Greene hard at the Ravens or they needed to give Sanchez the green light to throw the ball upfield a bit more. The fact that they did neither of those things suggests to me that the fault was in the coaching.

Yes, Sanchez and Greene failed to perform acceptably, how is it that this is not a fault of the coaching staff that has been prepping them to be ready to play?

The Jets are going nowhere this year unless they establish an offensive personality that works. They finally did this late last season with the heavy ground and pound. I hope we don't have to wait until midseason for them to figure something out this year.

The problem with the gameplan last night was it was completely tactical from play to play and there was no point during the game where I could figure out what exactly the Jets were trying to do. This is a Brian Schottenheimer specialty: keep things so confused that nobody could possibly outguess you. The problem is his QB is also confused by all the tricksy, cutesy stuff he's being asked to do. Fix this by giving Sanchez a consistent role to play, not by doing more motion garbage that just causes extra penalties.

9. Bill Belichdouche

Bill Belichdouche Well-Known Member

they should let westhoff do the honors

10. egelband

egelband Well-Known Member

for the first time ever, i blame the coach here. Schottenheimer. Pathetic. He deserves a few more games, but holy jizz. that was the most pathetic display of offense i have ever seen. i am embarrassed to be a jet fan. only the 'd' saves this.
    thanks, cunt!

11. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

First off, we've been running a conservative offense for a while now, as mandated by Rex. Second, when we tried to stretch the field, Sanchez over threw his wide receiver even though they were open (Edwards in end zone, Cotchery streak). He managed to hit Keller on a play, but it was called back. He also checked down to his running backs a lot and too quickly to boot.

Anyways, with how conservative our offense is, I don't understand what you're looking for. Last year, everyone on this board wanted to run a conservative offense. Against a team like the Ravens, we're gonna have bad nights like tonight if the QB plays scared. When the QB plays with confidence, we will score a decent amount of points (see 2nd half of Jets 2009 season, and the playoffs that followed).

Again, Flacco played pretty bad. He had no touchdowns, a fumble and an interception. The Ravens only scored 10 points even with time of possession in their favor.

12. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

it is possible for the QB to play well and the Jets D play great. the two aren't mutually exclusive.

the Ravens couldn't run the ball at all, yet they had I think only 2 three and outs. how is that possible if the QB played terribly as well? because Flacco either completed first downs or forced penalties by making good throws to receivers who were in position to make the catch. not sure how you missed all of those. they may not have scored, but he kept the D on the field and the O on the sideline. I didn't say he played a great game, I said he played well, but your attempt to compare his game to Sanchez's and claim they are comparable, and thus the offensive coordinators for both teams need to be judged comparably as well, is simply asinine.

13. Benny Bing

Benny Bing New Member

I repeat: 6 first downs.

If Schottenheimer isn't released today, then something is seriously wrong.

14. ToonWalker

ToonWalker New Member

ha, this cracked me up.

Hey, you should start a thread about it! :rofl:

15. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I agree with these sentiments more than the anti BS ones.

For those down on Schott, ask yourself, do you think he showed up with a game plan that was somehow very different than the one the rest of the CS, including Ryan, thought he was going to use?

Or did the CS know what the game plan was?

If it was the first, then BS should be fired for that alone. But of course we know that is not what happened. What happened is that Ryan and the rest of the CS were on board for exactly the kind of game plan that BS showed up with. They prepared all week. They practiced the game plan we saw.

At a minimum you have to bring Ryan into this if you want to blame coaching. As others have pointed out, Ryan WANTS THIS KIND OF GAME PLAN for the O. It fits with his orientation to Defense, and a sophomore Qb who is not playing that well.

So, what happened? Blame the overall CS all you want, but don't limit it to BS. I think what happened, though, was more failure of execution. I seriously doubt the CS told MS to not throw to open receivers down the field.

And they didn't tell Greene to fumble the ball off his lineman's ass, either.

16. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

You can't just cut bait with your offensive coordinator after week one. You have to give him a chance to fix the problem.

17. VinnyT

VinnyT New Member

Based on the performance last night and the overall performance over the last few years, I voted "yes" in the poll. That move would be made much easier by the fact that Bill Callahan is on the coaching staff, and should be able to move rather seamlessly into the OC role and improve the playcalling considerably. Would that improve the play on the field? Maybe, maybe not, but the playcalling from the sideline would put the players in a much better position to win with Callahan making the play calls.

18. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

Even if we wanted to cut him, what's going to happen? I don't think Bill Calahan will be able to take over the entire offensive duties. If anything we'd be worse without him. Cut him at the end of the season when we have enough time to work with it.

19. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

This.

Really? Are you actually serious?

This thread is just one big steaming pile of shit. OF COURSE the playcalling was conservative.

Shonn Greene fumbled TWICE.
    Cotchery dropped a ball that was in his hands with no contact.
    Slauson was a revolving door.
    The Ravens are just as elite on D as we are.
    D'Brick couldn't block without holding.
    Tomlinson and Mangold were the only two players on offense last night who didn't make any mistakes.

Even given all of the above, if Keller uses his brain and gets the first down, we still have a shot to win.

Anyone who thinks Schottenheimer should be fired over the ineptitude of the players responsible for being utter failures at their jobs last night should turn in their Jets official fan card.

I'd love to know how people think Sanchez should have thrown dowfield more. Did anyone see the pass rush by the Ravens? They were on top of Sanchez every play. Just like we did to Flacco. The differences?

Flacco got a few freebie first downs on third down thanks to yellow flags.
    Flacco has a whole additional year of NFL experience.
    Flacco was throwing to ANQUAN BOLDIN who was being covered by KYLE WILSON.

If you're going to fire any coach over yesterday, you should fire Petttine for not putting Revis on Boldin. And even that would be stupid.

20. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Absolutely not, he's a good OC. he called a bad game last night w/o question but overall he's a good OC.