Shooting at Connecticut Elementary School

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by TheCoolerGlennFoley, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

It sounds like the President has had enough and is ready to take on the issue.

"The president said that he has become all too familiar with making statements of grief following mass shooting incidents, referencing recent events at a mall this week in Oregon, at a Sikh temple in Wisconsin in August, and at a movie theater in Aurora, Colo., in August.

Those events -- along with a January 2011 attack in Arizona that severely injured then-Rep. Gabrielle Giffords and left six others dead -- have done little to provoke political action to rein in gun violence.
    "As a country, we have been through this too many times," he said.
    In his remarks Friday, the president suggested that the time might have come for some sort of work to prevent similar tragedies.
    "We're going to have to come together to take meaningful action to prevent more tragedies like this, regardless of the politics," he said."

I hope he follows through. He certainly has the opportunity as a second term president.

2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

this is as great a national tragedy as 9/11. sure, the scale is smaller but the scope is equally as horrible. there is no silver lining for the parents who lost children today, but as a society there can be a silver lining if it instigates the social change our society needs.

3. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

Latest (via ABC News): Nancy Lanza, mother of gunman Adam Lanza, was found dead in her Connecticut home. The 20-year-old man, shot her in the face, authorities told ABC News. Following the murder of his mother, Lanza, carrying at least two semi-automatic pistols and an automatic rifle, drove to Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., where his mother worked. There he killed 20 children and six adults. Lanza was found dead in the school with a self-inflicted gunshot wound. The rifle was found in his car, authorities said.

4. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

was thinking about this after i first heard about the news today. After 9/11 i remember what bothered me most was that we had just saw a new capabiltiy of evil in man. This is the same thing. I can't get out of my head how as bad as things ever are that we see in the world,there are certain things that are just humanly off limits,that we should never have to have happen. this is #1.

5. NFL

NFL Active Member

Wtf. This is damn crazy. This goes beyond mental sickness. This fagget wanted the attention. I don't understand what has to go through your head to do something like this. Prayers to all those families, and everyone around.

6. typeOnegative13NY

im sorry man. i cant even imagine. im horrified and sad and im hundreds of miles away.

7. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

This is very interesting stuff.

I have this theory that we as a socioty contribute to these types of behaviors and rationals by telling every single kid they are special, or having leagues with just ties and no winners and losers. We try to convince children that the world is Utopia and everybody is important but when they get into the real world these kids who have fragile psyches to begin with can not handle the reality that the world is not fair, people are not nice and not everybody is going to like or care about you. I'm not saying this is why this happened today but when you teach children at a young age that everybody wins or there are no losers they can not handle it when they become adults and find out the cruel reality that they are losers.

8. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Children. Children.

this one was a game changer. even the President needed to compose himself during his address.

Also what about the massive amount of damage done to the children and teachers who witnessed children being murdered?

You think they will ever function again?

If the father and brother are deemed innocent from involvement do you think they will be able to get on with their lives?

#108 GQMartin, Dec 14, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  9. Joe Willie White Shoes

How about refraining from gay slurs. This has absolutely nothing to do with anybody's sexual orientation. I find the use of the word you used to describe this person offensive and light of this tragedy it is even more disgraceful to use it. Show some enlightenment and respect for other people.

10. Joe Willie White Shoes

How about the theory that this generation is the "look at me" generation who constantly crave their 15 minutes of fame. Add it the 24 hour news shows that drum these stories into our heads and these ill people feel the need to end their lives (which is itself a tragedy and an epidemic) in this way rather than quietly and alone.

11. typeOnegative13NY

you are right.im for the right to own a gun. but there are some guns that people just dont need. i am of the mind that if someone wants to do something,they will do it with a gun or not,but a gun being a concealable and quickly damaging as it is,may sway a decisiion to do something stupid. other things take much more planning etc. were the guns used registered to lanza does anyone know yet?

12. Joe Willie White Shoes

How did a mentally ill 20 year old have possession of weapons like this. We need extensive background checks on the purchase of weapons. And if this weapon was stolen or taken from someone else, that person should be criminally liable for these deaths in some way. If you don't lock your guns, you pay the price for the crimes that are committed with the guns.

13. Joe Willie White Shoes

If Belcher did not have a gun, he and his girlfriend would likely be alive. Studies show a gun owned at home is more likely to result in an accidental shooting than prevent a crime.

14. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

They said teh guns were registered to his mother

15. Joe Willie White Shoes

The guns belonged to Lanza's mother, who Lanza killed at home, not at the school. So why does a kindergarten teacher in a small town in CT need two semi automatic pistols??????

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's just completely senseless.

Those two pistols and the hunting rifle were enough to take down anybody he pointed them at. Why would we let somebody own things like that?

17. Joe Willie White Shoes

There was a similar incident in China today where a man attacked children in a school with a knife. Nobody died. There goes the argument that guns don't kill, people do.

18. Cappy

Cappy Well-Known Member

This makes me sick to my stomach.

Whenever I hear about stuff like this, all I can think about is Daniel Quinn's essay on the boiling frog as told in The Story of B.

Link to excerpt

19. roboz08

roboz08 Well-Known Member

BINGO. Social media, although positive in many aspects, has ruined social life and society as we know it. Nothing is face to face anymore. If you scroll through a typical high school or college kids newsfeed on facebook or instagram, all it is in essence is people looking to get validation from their external environment, meaning, their peers, their colleagues, their "generalized other" translation, everything now has become: "LOOK AT ME! LOOK WHAT I DO! LOOK WHAT I GOT! LOOK WHERE I LIVE AND GO TO SCHOOL! LOOK WHO I'M DATING! DON'T I LOOK GOOD?! LOOK AT ME AND MY ASS! I'M SKINNY RIGHT? RIGHT??"

As a person who is graduating college tomorrow, i honestly wish at times that social media didn't exist. life was so much simpler with just cell hpones and without facebook and twitter and all this superficial fucking shit. my parents lived without it, and my parents turned out fine, and are well integrated into modern society. This is the kind of shit that makes other countries laugh at the United States. Because we are raising fucktards who have no self-esteem, no self-confidence, and are reliant on external validation in order to feel good about themselves.

20. Passepartout

Passepartout Active Member

First CO, then WI, later OR, and now CT! What is this world coming too! As really we need to focus on the victims. And the families of those victims. As they will be having a rough holiday not just this year but for all years to come. :(