Shooting at Connecticut Elementary School

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by TheCoolerGlennFoley, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Mantana Soss

Mantana Soss Active Member

Freedom from coercion and gun ownership having nothing to do with each other in 2012. Nothing.

2. 21stAmendment

21stAmendment Member

Second Amendment:

United States Supreme Court has ruled that gun ownership is subject to reasonable restrictions.

#382 21stAmendment, Dec 18, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2012
  3. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Well, we are walking the kids to the bus in 5minutes. Id be lying if I said I wasnt nervous but I have faith in the admin, teachers, public officials around here as well. I never thought in a million years Id be going through this.

4. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

I bet you're going to find out the kids are eventually going to be less traumatized by this than the adults. They are eventually going to get back to the important things in their lives, like what to wear to school, where to sit in the cafeteria and with who, what toys to get for Christmas, etc. Kids are remarkably strong and adaptable. they'll be fine.

Good luck anyway, buddy.

5. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

My 9 year old was talking about what she can buy for our dog for his stocking for Christmas :).....meanwhile, Im fighting back tears.Ha. Ithink you are very right

6. wexy

wexy Member

7. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

As long as you are ok,they will be ok. They look to see the adults stability . Hang in there man,I cant imagine how it is to be so close.

8. Dierking

So there's no difference in the number of rounds you can squeeze off with the first gun vs. the second? I find that surprising.

Also, I don't know, but would surmise that the pistol grip and extendable stock make it much easier to fire. Meaning you would need less skill and training to hit your intended target than you would with the first one. Which may be appropriate for the military or law enforcement, but not the general poplulation. Again, I have no idea if that's the case, it just seems likely to me.

9. gopats88

gopats88 Member

The first one is shown without a magazine. You could pull that magazine out of the second gun, load it into the first, and they would have the same exact capacity. They are literally the same gun (i.e. same receiver & internals) with different wood/plastic parts bolted on to change the looks and ergonomics.

The government doesn't even keep track of the number of shootings that involve "assault rifles" because the numbers are nearly insignificant. I believe it's about 80% of shootings involve handguns, 15% involve rifles, 5% shotguns, and assault rifles only make up some small fraction of a percent. Assault rifles are just targeted by so many gun activists because it is so easy to throw pictures of AK-47s and AR-15s on the front of newspapers and magazines and evoke reactions from the general public.

#389 gopats88, Dec 18, 2012
  10. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Or just maybe assault riffles can result in killing 20 1st graders in a matter of a few minutes despite people lunging at the shooter to stop him

11. gopats88

gopats88 Member

The Virginia Tech shooter killed 32 people and wounded 17 others with just two handguns.

I'm not going to bend over backwards defending the sale or purchase of assault rifles. I don't own any firearms, and I don't think assault rifles are necessary (at least according to the current legal definition of assault rifles used by Massachusetts and California). So long as people realize that they are focusing their efforts on something that will not make any statistical difference on the number of shootings, the number of homicides, or the overall level of violence in this country, I couldn't care less whether assault rifles remain legal or not.

#391 gopats88, Dec 18, 2012
  12. Dierking

okay, thanks. Didn't realize the first could handle a magazine. Is there any good reason why you need to shoot these with large capacity magazines?

As for the change in ergonomics, does the "tacti-cool" package make it easier to fire with less training and skill? It certainly looks like it should, but I'm not up on this.

13. GordonGecko

14. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

The large capacity one? No, except to reload less often. Then again carrying several small clips is just as easy and they are quick to change out, more so if your not interested in retaining the old one.

15. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

16. gopats88

gopats88 Member

More = Better? You can shoot more without spending as much time reloading (gun ranges usually charge per hour). In a self-defense situation, you don't have to worry about having extra magazines handy, and reloading while someone is trying to kill you. I'm sure there is a point where the extra capacity becomes unnecessary, but I'm not in any position to make that judgement. Realistically, you aren't going to limit someone's ability to kill by regulating magazine capacity. Anyone can swap magazines in a fraction of a second.

I don't know. I'm sure those features wouldn't exist if people didn't see some value in them (some people probably find it a more natural grip, or feel that they can aim quicker), but I doubt you would find any consensus on that topic.

17. NotSatoshiNakamoto

If those people had been armed I'm sure they would have been much more successful in their attempt at stopping the lunatic than "lunging" was. They were ready and willing to protect those children, just unable.

18. GordonGecko

Ignoring the notion of arming kindergarten teachers for a moment - Had every school been armed, this 1 in say 5 year incident of 26 fatalities could potentially have resulted in over a dozen lives saved as you suggest. But I would argue that in those 5 years you would have lost more lives in other occurrences of accidental discharge, disgruntled employees, stolen/lost handguns, etc...

Angry people with access to guns = dead victims
    Angry people with no access to guns = injured victims

19. BIG COUNTRY

BIG COUNTRY Well-Known Member

I still dont understand how people can view homicide rates in other civilized countries, then view it in our country and still believe that we dont have any problem with gun control.

20. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

And what happens when a disgruntled employee or sociopath student steals that weapon? You are putting more lives at risk with that notion of arming teachers/administrators.

Everytime somebody makes the argument that we need more people carrying I like to bring up the shooting of Gabby Giffords... Arizona has one of the loosest gun laws in the country and yet nobody stopped the lunatic that shot her or the poor 9 year old girl who happened to be in that grocery store parking lot.