Shooting at Connecticut Elementary School

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by TheCoolerGlennFoley, Dec 14, 2012.

1. 21stAmendment

21stAmendment Member

The same misinformation from the media occurred on 9-11. They are far too concerned about getting it first than getting it right.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The reporting was just horrible. If this had been a major catastrophe with a real on-going impact on the nation the media would have been making the situation much worse with their early reporting and still greatly contributing to the FUD as the day wore on.

I too experienced real anger at the bullshit that was flying all around us as it became apparent how far off the mark everybody was in their reporting.

In a real national emergency of 9/11 significance I would have considered the administration justified in imposing a total news blackout and taking all the commercial networks off the air in favor of one voice in the emergency broadcasting system.

I'm not even talking a nationwide threat, just anything that could have presented that appearance for several hours. The media was making things worse instead of just reporting the news.

3. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

its sad to know that when something terrible happens,those people are smiling with opportunity

4. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Yea, it's amazing how much stuff they "Reported" that ended up not being true...

5. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

I love it how 20 little kids get butchered with armor piercing bullets from a semi automatic rifle, not even buried yet and the only thing some people can do post like crazy for gun rights.

Congratulations, you're a fucking asshole

6. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

some pretty mind-boggling numbers here:

[​IMG]

7. Royal Tee

They aren't going "post crazy for gun rights."
    They're speaking up because their gun rights are under attack by people who wait for shit like this to happen then all of a sudden give a shit about guns.

8. Royal Tee

That's crazy..
    Laws need to be tightened but they have to seriously find a way to get illegal guns from getting in the streets.
    THEN, you can start cracking down heavily on gun ownership laws.

9. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Not even buried yet. Like I said, fucking assholes.

10. Royal Tee

Where are these people you speak of?

11. jacketpotatoe

jacketpotatoe New Member

Good read on "politicizing" this: lazenby.tumblr.com/post/37938618806/yeah-listen-so-so-close-it-is-not-possible-to

12. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

It's actually kind of funny, they're apparently a bunch of inbreds (which explains EVERYTHING):
    --- Abigail Phelps

--- Barak Phelps-Davis

--- Benaiah Phelps

--- Benjamin C. Phelps

--- Betty Joan Schurle-Phelps

--- Brent D. Roper-Phelps
    Human Resources Lawyer for NAIC
    Employee at Foot Locker

--- Carmen A Phelps

--- Caleb Phelps

--- Charles F. Hockenbarger
    Husband of Rachel I. Phelps-Hockenbarger

--- Charles William "Bill" Hockenbarger

--- Chris Davis-Phelps

--- Daniel F. Phelps

--- Danielle Phelps

--- David Hockenbarger

--- Davis R. Phelps

--- Deborah Kay Hockenbarger

--- Deborah Phelps-Davis

--- Elisha Phelps

--- Elizabeth "Libby" Phelps

--- Elizabeth Marie Phelps

--- Fred W. Phelps, Jr

--- Fred Waldron Phelps, Sr

--- Gabriel Phelps-Roper

--- George Stutzman

--- Gideon Hockenbarger

--- Grace Phelps-Roper

--- Hezekiah Phelps

--- Isaiah Phelps-Roper

--- Jack Wu

--- Jacob M. Phelps

--- Jacob Z. Phelps

--- Jael Phelps

--- James Hockenbarger

--- Jennifer Hockenbarger
    Wife of Samuel Phelps-Roper

--- Jonah Phelps-Roper

--- Jonathan Baxter Phelps

--- Joseph Phelps

--- Joshua F. Phelps-Roper

--- Joshua M. Phelps

--- Josaiah Hockenbarger

--- Karl D. Hockenbarger

--- Katherine Hockenbarger

--- Lauren Drain

--- LeAnn Phelps-Brown

--- Luci Drain

--- Luke Phelps-Roper

--- Lydia Phelps-Davis

--- Malachai Phelps

--- Mara Jones-Phelps

--- Margerie "Margie" Marie Simms-Phelps

--- Margie Jean Phelps

--- Margy "Margie"/"Megan" Phelps-Roper

--- Mary Hockenbarger

--- Micaiah Phelps-Davis

--- Noah Phelps-Roper

--- Paulette Phelps-Ossiander

--- Rachel Hockenbarger

--- Rachel I. Phelps-Hockenbarger

--- Rebekah Phelps-Davis

--- Rebekah Phelps-Roper

--- Samuel Phelps-Roper

--- Sara Phelps

--- Seth Phelps

--- Sharon M. Phelps

--- Shirley Phelps

--- Shirley Lynn Phelps-Roper

--- Stephen "Steve" Drain

--- Stephen Hockenbarger

--- Taylor Drain

--- Theresa Davis

--- Timothy "Tim"/"Timmy" B. Phelps

--- Timothy Phelps Jr

--- Victoria Phelps

--- Zacharias Phelps-Roper

13. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Based on the increasing frequency of these attacks we won't have to wait very long will we?

The idea that we have unlimited gun rights but limited civil rights is laughable. The gun debate has been silenced by the concept that gun rights are unlimited but civil rights are limited.

My rights to get drunk and run over people for fun has been under attack for years as it should be. How about people having a right to live in a civil society?

#313 Biggs, Dec 17, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  14. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

whatever the result of the gun control debate, something needs to bedone. It cantbepolitical ,it cant be money-driven. Something has to change. Business as usual is not an option

15. akibud

akibud Active Member

I've always said that I have never held a gun in my life, but I respect everyone's right to own guns. That being said, I would not be opposed to a politician putting up a poster with a picture of these 20 kids on the floor of congress while debating the next steps of gun control. I've read some very intelligent and thoughtful suggestions in this thread, and I do believe that their is enough motivation here to make a lasting change. Ironically, my kids have never been exposed to shooting video games, in my home at least. I suppose they might have seem it at play date. There is something cultural about our society and our lack of empathy towards the innocent. In any other country, this kind of action would be considered as terrorism, but I guess since we consider ourselves better than and above those people, we make up excuses for these sick, cold blooded killers. That is also part of what feeds the next lunatic to not just suck on the barrel of his gun in the privacy of his room, but he needs to make a name for himself first.

16. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with some sort of gun control .but as a parent if the only solution on the table is one that would take a decade or so to show results,we dont have that kind of time. I am so disappointed that ugly American politics even made its way into this in just a few hours

17. tcrock

tcrock Well-Known Member

Still sick over this, like everyone else, and nervously hugged and kissed my 6 year old son this morning as i headed off to the office.

My wife also works as a hall monitor in a middle school that routinely has unlocked doors and she is essentially the first line of defense. I told her to demand they at least get a locked door buzzer system in there.

of course the politics comes in as was inevitable.

I'm no gun owner, but I do believe in the contstitution and the right to bear arms....however why assault type weapons are avaialble to the public is still beyond me. There's got to be a common sense solution to at leat the gun issue.

to me there are many othe more complex issues here as well. Mental illness diagnosis, treatement, meds and side effects if applicable in this case. Poor decision making by the mother of this lunatic who apparently contributed to his isolation and withdrawn life style and saw no reason to worry about owning guns and having them in her home....paid for that decision with her life and contributed to the loss of all of those children and adults at the school. I'm really interested to find out what the brother and father had to say to police about the family dynamic in general.

Finally mental illness issue aside, it sounds corny i guess, but there are evil people in this world, mentally ill or not........that plus our society trivializing violence plus access to fully automatic assault weapons = the all too frequent massacres.

18. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

what bothers me is the media gets a pass when they report misleading and inaccurate information when the subject is political/govt but when its a tragic event like this - everyone wants to criticize the inaccuracies.

19. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

agree and what do we expect - the govt elite always use opportunities like this to promote the agenda - and the public falls for it.

but there is no question there needs to be swift and decisive action regarding these weapons. dont talk about it just do it. we all have the right to bear arms but even the old gray rifle bearing conservative posse needs to realize the need for defining and refining this topic.

20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The media is getting criticized right now because the inaccuracies were obvious, irrefutable and kept being replaced by more inaccuracies as they were debunked.

It was like an error machine at work spitting out nothing but errors.

Now I recognize that depending on your point of view, left, center or right, you may well believe the opposition's media assets to be similarly flawed but it is a rare event to have the kind of easily provable errors happen right in sequence and then lead to more errors as they were corrected.

My primary issue with the entire media debacle around this horrible tragedy is that all of it was spun for maximum revenue the entire time that it was happening. All of the outlets were interested in two words above all else: "Breaking News" and accuracy was not even in the conversation for any of them.

It's not like this was politicized for or against gun control while it was happening. It was milked for every dime they could get and in the process they failed completely to do the basic job of news gathering, which is to gather information, sort through it, throw out the garbage and then accurately report the facts that people need to know.

That's just inexcusable on their part. I really would launch an FCC investigation and find out who was pulling the switches at those networks and outlets. I'd do what I could to make sure they weren't allowed to do that kind of thing again.

I mean the Jets had to color-code Mark Sanchez wriststrap as a rookie to let him know when it was appropriate or inappropriate to do certain things. Has it really gotten to the point that we need to give the media a color-coded wriststrap to let them know that it was not ok to terrify New Jersey about a shooter possibly in their midst when the horrors were occurring a state away?

I mean this is just such a stupid sequence of events. Freedom of speech is important but using it correctly should be a significant entry bar to gaining access to things like the national cable networks and satellites.