Shonn Greene

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by stugots, Sep 27, 2009.

1. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

What the hell are the Jets waiting for? Are they being overly cautious in not rushing Greene back from his rib injury? Jones has looked awful so far. It's time to give Greene some touches and see what he's got.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

This is probably the most troubling thing for me this season. We traded up for Greene, and Ryan had nothing but good things to say about him during camp. He was playing with an ankle for a few games, then the rib thing happened and they put him on the witness protection program. I can only see 3 scenarios playing out right now:

1) The rib injury is more serious than we thought.

2) He's disappointing in practice, big time - which would make no sense, since he's (apparently) been active the past 2 games.

3) They're saving his legs because they feel strong about charging deep into the postseason - which would make no sense, since our running game has sputtered mightily in the early past of all three games.

3. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

That's the hard part to understand..if he doesn't get carries against NO then there is something wrong that we aren't aware of.

4. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

If nothing else, the Jets should be using him the way the Giants used Bradshaw in his first season....to use fresh legs to pound away at the other team's D in the 4th Quarter.

5. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

we need to add shonn greene this week in sprinkles here and there...we need to surprise the Saints

6. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

He's not ready, otherwise he'd be in there.

7. Coach K

Coach K New Member

we just won a great game and this is all that some people can think of?

theres been almost no need for Greene to step in yet. let alone in such a close game in the rain

we played one of the best run defenses in the league and they called run blitzes over half the time. i dunno if some of you even watch the game sometimes.

8. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

You forgot #4.........

Maybe he can't block for shit. I really think that is more of the problem. Thomas Jones is a very good blocker and hence is still getting the reps. No need to tell you the importance of an RB blocking. But I think the need to keep Sanchez upright is greater than replacing Thomas Jones atm. All things being equal (provided the RB doesn't suck) blocking and fumbling are the biggest factors in keeping rookie RB's on the bench. Green doesn't have a fumbling problem.

My guess as the staff feels his blocking is improving he will start to get reps. Of course that is if blocking is the real issue.

9. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

A little bit of an over-reaction don't ya think? A lot of people want to see him play. The running game has been pretty pedestrian thus far, so it's only natural for people to want him in.

What boggles my mind is he was previously inactive due to injuries and a roster spot for the D, but he wasn't inactive yesterday.

I watched the game, and once I saw Sanchez butter fingering it, I might have thought they would run a little more. In fact everyone was having troubles holding the ball..Collins floated one or two as well.

The only thing I can think of is, he's not ready.

10. abyzmul

That would make sense if we were talking about giving him a ton of carries. But so far he hasn't had a single one. We've had runningbacks take carries and they couldn't block to save their lives. Leon Washington from 2006-2008 comes to mind.

11. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Yeah but Washington has really worked on that. Plus with the exception of 7 games in 07, the Jets largely had seasoned Vets as QB's. So they can afford to have Washington back there a little more. It's possible they just want a bit more protection for Sanchez.

Anyway it was just a thought. I thought I read where despite his build Green was having difficulty blocking.

12. abyzmul

I'm not completely dismissing the idea, but there are plenty of backs in this league that get touches without being able to block a waterboy. I'd at least like to see this kid come in for an inside run or two to see how he responds. I mean, they fucking traded up for him. They have to have some kind of plan in mind. Unless he's a boar hunter.

13. DraftaFullBack

DraftaFullBack Active Member

it's only 3 games into the season and he's been injured, chill out guys. He'll play when the coaches think he's ready.

we're 3-0, enjoy it.

14. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Jones is going to have some big games for us. He the type of back that eventually breaks a big one.

15. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Here's my theory about the whole situation. First of, he was injured and may or may not be 100%. Secondly, we have two good RBs that can do an adaquate job. Thirdly, (the main point of the theory) we may be saving him for a very important game where ball control will be a major part of the game (NE?). This keeps him as a secret weapon. If the opponents don't have any NFL video on you and they expect u not to be there in the game, all of a sudden u see Greene lined up behind Sanchez, the D will have no idea of his strengths and we can potentially catch the opponents off guard. Rex seems to be a very smart coach. If this is his idea, and it works out, he will get a lot of props for it. Of course, if Greene lines up this coming Sunday, my whole theory falls apart.

16. ........

........ Trolls

To all of the people who feel we're saving him for the 2nd half of the season...

He hasn't received a single carry. Zip. Zilch. Nada. It would be nice to have a fresh back late in the season, but we don't gain much by throwing a guy out there with no game experience before that point. We're not talking about him failing to be a central part of the early season offense. We're talking about him failing to even get 1 - 5 carries per game. That's not saving him; that's him not being ready.

17. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

There has to be something going on that we don't know about. Either he's fucking up his ball control and the CS just doesn't trust him or he keeps fucking up the playbook and cannot get his blocking assignments/routes/running lanes right (unlikely since he seemed to handle them pretty well in the preseason). I doubt that the problem could be an injury since the Favre fines pretty much assured anyone with a slight case of beer shits making the list graphic detail.

18. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Apparently, there is destined to be a thread each for both Vernon gholston and Shonn Greene after every Jet game for the next 123456789 yeras.

19. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

The way I look at it is Thomas Jones is taking carries away from Leon, give Leon 20 carries and Greene 5 carries and show Jones the door...

20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

1- simply by being 'active' for the game says all that needs to be said about his ribs, his practices, 'is he ready', etc.

2- rex said (see nyjets.com) he really wanted greene to get a few carries in the last game but for 'whatever reasons' shotty didn't get him in the game.

3- several intelligent posters have nailed it: close game, in the rain, 2 pro bowl RB's doing just fine, yada yada yada.

4- my feelings: since greene has been active, rex feels he is ready, and greene will get 90% of the touches in mop up duty. won't be this week though.