Season Expectations

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by gustoonarmy, Sep 5, 2007.

?

What are your expectations for the Jets this year?

1. High , (playoffs)

57 vote(s)
    49.6%
  2. Medium (good effort , but no POs)

47 vote(s)
    40.9%
  3. Low (some worrying moments)

7 vote(s)
    6.1%
  4. Terrible (We have some serious problems)

4 vote(s)
    3.5%
  1. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I think our wins are: Miami, @ Buf, @ NYG, Was, Pit, Cle, @ Ten, KC

Losses: NE, @ Bal, Phi, @ Cin, Buf, @ Dal, @ Miami, @ NE

NE will destroy us twice we are no longer a secret, Baltimore will shred our porous oline, we've NEVER beaten Philly, Cincy for obvious reasons, ALWAYS split with Buffalo, Miami will play as tough as usual and I don't think a missed FG will save us this time around, Dallas is pretty good. I think we upset Pittsburgh, the rest of our wins can be expected. I think NYG and Washington are weak.

2. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

Love that quote. It's going in my sig. I like to keep my expectations low as well. I'm expecting 6-9 wins this season.

TBTF

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I just don't see a team without strengths on either line playing better than 8-8 against the schedule we have this year. Throw in the fact that the Jets have had untimely key injuries frequently over the last decade at positions of little or no depth and I'm very pessimistic for 2007.

I still don't understand how we managed to avoid drafting a lineman, either defensive or offensive, on day one of the draft. To say that there was no talent either side of the ball on the line at the Jets draft positions is a copout. I feel like we went down to the dealership to get a station wagon for the family and got talked into buying the sexy little convertible.

4. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Put me in the 7-9 to 9-7 group. While it is impossible to know exactly how tough the schedule will turn out to be this year, there's no question that it was easy last year, and you can't expect that again. The weakness on the lines is well-documented, and history says that some players who perform well as rookies fall back in their second year, which could be bad news for Ferguson, Mangold, Smith, or Washington.

5. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

I went with the second choice. Good effort, no playoffs, make transition from Pennington to Clemens, try again in 2008.

Patriots, Jaguars, Chargers (even with Norv Turner), Bengals, Ravens, Colts, and maybe the Broncos are all better than the Jets.

6. KyleBradyoverSapp

KyleBradyoverSapp New Member

7. ESCRONDON

ESCRONDON Member

8-10 wins,

Maybe scrape into the playoff's.....................I hope.

8. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

LOL, Hey we will always have the bunker and lots of beer.

9. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

like a lot of you said, middle of the road. oline and dline are not up to par with the talent in the tough afc. qb is not up to par with the tough afc(16 td's and 17 interceptions is exactly middle of the pack material).
    add a few key injuries we didn't have last year and thats the straw that breaks the back for a playoff slot at seasons end!!
    even the best coaching talent can't over come a lack there of. i say 9-7 or 8-8. not all bad. still rebuilding!!!

10. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

The facts don't bear you out on that one. If you look at strength of schedule from last season we're pretty much in the middle of the pack, and of the playoff teams we had a tougher schedule than most.

11. MAJORPAYNE

MAJORPAYNE New Member

I know if I say undefeated and a super bowl I might sound like a porpiss:finssuck: :drunk: But I have never felt stronger about the limits of the Jet organization. I cant help but feel we can break the record and be special.

#31 MAJORPAYNE, Sep 6, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  12. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

There are a lot of ways to calculate this, but here's what I mean. A "balanced" schedule would have the same number of opponents with winning records and losing records, and an overall record around .500 (note that I am talking about records in all games not involving the Jets). By the latter definition the Jets schedule was easier than average, but not shockingly so (112-122, or .479 winning percentage for their opponents). By the former measure, however, the Jets schedule was easy, since only 6 of their 16 opponents had records against the rest of the league that were above .500. Further, they feasted on the really bad teams they faced (7-2 against teams that were at least two games under .500 against the rest of the league; they only had 4 games against teams at least two games over .500 against the rest of the league, and were 1-3).

13. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

7-9. Anything better would be a miracle. People can say they ignore strength of schedule and that's fine. It doesn't change the teams you have to beat in that schedule though. I'll also be surprised if Pennington is still starting by week 3. If NE or Baltimore doesn't kill him then Mangini will realize they need somebody more mobile to avoid the rush that the teams we play this year are capable of bringing. If he does make a change then the season will only go from bad to worse.

#33 Don, Sep 6, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  14. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Our "tough schedule" doesn't mean anything since this team was built to defete NE, one of the toughest teams in the league. We beat NE last year with essentially the same team we have now. Yup, they added receivers, but we added DB. They added LB, and we added RB. We replaced Kendal with Bender but we also replaced Kimo with Coleman. Thier RB is in his 2nd year, but we added a tough new IMLB.

If you can see NE going 12-4 against the "same schedule", then it is NOT a stretch so see the JETS going 10-6 or even 11-5.

Bruschi said their playoff win against us was the toughest game he has EVER played in. His words, not mine.

And when we beat NE in NE, "The Brady" himself said the Jets were better coached, better prepared, and NE simply did not have an answer for the Jets on that day.

Nor will they have and answer for the Jets on Sept 9th.

Jets 24 (1-0)
    Pats 23 (0-1)

15. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

I predict a 10-6 season for the Jets again. Their OL last year was average at best last year and I doubt that it will be significantly worse this year - unless their are significant OL injuries. I believe that the DL will be improved with the loss of KVO.

I believe that if given time Pennington will have a little more success than last year and that the running game might be marginally better with the addition of Jones and the replacement of Kendall with Bender.

I don't think that the Jets record last year was "lucky" and they lost just as many close games as they won. The schedule itself might be a little tougher than last year, but it's not that much more difficult as a lot of people are claiming. Yes the Jets have question marks, but so does every other team in the league. Therefore 10-6 (+/- one game).

16. baamf

baamf Active Member

At this point of the year, I am always thinking playoffs. It sucks being realistic the week of the opener. Poll me again next week and I may change my mind... :smile:

17. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

As a totally impartial Jets FAN, I think we are going to make a run and get to the playoffs.

As a realistic football follower, I think that the allegiance to Chad will finally bring this team down, and the texture and flow of our schedule is such that the season could spiral out of control. We could lose as many as 12 games this season.