Schefter: Jets to hire Saint's WR Coach John Morton as their OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Dom, Jan 29, 2017.

1. bartscott

bartscott Well-Known Member

It's another first time hire. Another unproven guy with a big question mark. Like an earlier poster said, Bowles's lack of offensive prowess, and now this guy with zero play calling experience makes me pretty nervous.

I just really hope that Mac doesn't trade away the 2018 1st round pick. We are still really early in putting together the 2017 team, but there is enough weaknesses and question marks, that a few bad breaks, and 2017 could be historically bad. There is such little talent across the boards on this team. And 2016 showed that the players will quit on Bowles.

hope I'm wrong, but I haven't been this negative about this team in a long time. There just isn't anyone to get excited about.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Your first paragraph is spot on. It's hard to believe that he would have just let the two years go by and not have had someone in mind to take Gailey's place. Then again maybe Bowles didn't think he'd still be here after 2 years, or maybe the top 4-5 guys he was interestested in all told him to get lost.

I'm very curious as to what his offensive philosophy will be. Will he keep Gailey's system? Try to switch to a similar system to the Saints? Adapt a system to fit the talents of the players we have on hand? I would hope it's the latter, but does he know enough to do that, and even if he does, how is he supposed to do that before FA and the draft and knowing who/with what he'll have to work?

As for a playbook, he can probably pick one of those up on Amazon.com ;)

3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

kevin greene will be coaching outside linebackers.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  4. David-The-Meats-Harris

David-The-Meats-Harris Well-Known Member

How many turn overs did they create? Umm not a lot.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

5. David-The-Meats-Harris

Sacks? Not a lot?

6. NCJetsfan

CBS lists the top OC Candidates as follows:

Mike McCoy - hired by Denver

Norv Turner - I seriously doubt if he would have come here for either one year or to work under Bowles, or any HC that is likely to be fired following the season.

Tom Clements - has been a QB Coach in GB for a good while. There must be some sort of personality issue, however, since his leaving GB is said to be mutual. Maybe he'll come here for a year as QB Coach/Assistant OC, but I doubt it.

Greg Olson

Brad Childress

Chip Kelly

Neither George Godsey nor John Morton were listed. Godsey must either be awful, or the Texans poisoned the well in speaking with Mac.

I'm not expecting much of anything, but for our sake, I hope he proves to be at least decent. If not, I guess we can count on getting that QB in the 2018 draft when we have the #1 pick.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. David-The-Meats-Harris

The point of greene is they don't have a QB that can come back from behind all the time, and pretty much never. Maybe sack a guy once in a while? That with Morton being inexperienced where we're weak, you kind of need him to get running holes for Powell. Can he do that, groom 2 QBs etc? Oddly enough his expertise is where they need it least. Whatever, I'm over it.

8. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Or he'll be a Tony Sprano 2.0, can't wait

9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

not sure where you re going with this. it seemed you thought greene was coaching the o line and i was just letting you know what his job will be.

10. David-The-Meats-Harris

Hey they interviewed one other guy..Wasn't on the list either. Did they interview anyone on the list? Mmmnope

11. NCJetsfan

If you were one of the top OC candidates in the NFL, would you have interviewed for the job? I love the Jets, but I wouldn't, not under a lame duck HC, especially one named Bowles.

12. David-The-Meats-Harris

Not sure where you were going. This team has needs everywhere except receivers. If Morton can open a solid running game, he might succeed with our current qb situation. Or he can teach them what good receivers do, and help the passing game. They aren't coming back from many games so help with olbs can't hurt. A secondary fix would be nice too but now we're getting firmly into Bowles arguments

13. David-The-Meats-Harris

Yeah that's definitely been the issue. Who wants to work under a guy that may only be there one more year. It's a crap sandwich

14. David-The-Meats-Harris

Here's the game plan. Sure up the d, and run run run. Add in the wild cat and it feels like Rex is back. I'm out. Combative sobs

Jets69 likes this.
  15. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

This is going to be a very important hire. Currently, the Jets have ZERO identity. Heck, we don't even have a QB. Over the next 2-3 years if all goes as planned, the Jets will 'become somebody'. And with Bowles being a defensive guy and who turns the offense over to his OC, this guy will be the one to give us an identity.

Curtis Martin was the last good identity the Jets have had. Hopefully this guy can come closer to building a Curtis Martin team identity than Butt Fumble.

As this guy goes, so goes the Jets.

I wish him luck!

16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Bald dudes with goatees tend to make good NFL coaches. Sign me up.

In all seriousness though, we were likely hiring someone with limited experience. Why not go with the coach that has worked on an NFL offense that has consistently been in the top 5 in yards and scoring year after year?

He's also coached under some pretty damn good coaches throughout his career including Bill Callahan, Jim Harbaugh, Norv Turner, and Pete Carroll. He seems like a well respected football mind.

I'm wit it.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

You, sir, have an incredibly queer username.

18. SackExchange69

SackExchange69 Well-Known Member

This team is destined for shittyness. Off to cancel the Sunday ticket, again.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  19. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

He doesn't know any other OC choices. He just wants to hate on the pick. I like the choice didn't want Godsey as OC. Not a lot of up and comers would take this job as it could be a 1 year gig if Bowles doesn't get it together. But you have to like his resume and the people he has worked with. Plus he played the game and the Saints always had a prolific passing attack. I know alot of it has to do with Brees but maybe he can help us find Brees lite or develop our own Brees. I'm just glad Gailey has left this staff. Now left see who they bring in as QB coach.

20. David-The-Meats-Harris

And it makes your underwear just a little tighter doesn't it? Hold on, let me fix all of this. Morton is a great hire. I had nobody in mind, other than Morton, for the job. The Jets and I were the only ones (other than everyone) that sees his value. Hey, a decade ago called and said they have a jersey to sell you.