Schefter: Jets to hire Saint's WR Coach John Morton as their OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Dom, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

It's not the system that matters. Quite obviously, Tebow's first offensive system at NFL is Erhardt/Perkins. That didn't help him much, as it's obvious.

As long as he's good at conveying the key info for the plays, I have no grudge.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. Unless I'm mistaken, QBs have certain systems in which their skills are better fits and where their strengths are focused on and weaknesses minimized. IMO, neither Hack's nor Petty's skill sets are good fits for a WCO. Thus, if I'm right and we use the WCO, then even if Petty and/or Hack develop into quality QBs, it won't be here. IMO we need to use an offensive system that is built around their strengths and what they do best.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

John Morton heralded as a Gruden grinder style of coach. Gracious words from a good NFL coach and offensive mind.

http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-j...ys-jets-hired-a-gruden-grinder-in-john-morton

Jets_Grinch likes this.
  4. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Like I always say - the tool is only as good as the hand that operates it.

Do you honestly think the offensive system that Phil Simms was using is in any way different from the one Tom Brady is using? [They are same Erhardt/Perkins offense system, identical to the letter.]

So - in that regard, I can understan where your concerns come from. But - believe me. If Joe Montana or Virgil Carter had any more arm than what they had back then, WCO as we have seen surely would have looked different - radically if so.

The goal here is to construct the system that the players can maximize their ability, not to force them into the system that they don't fit. WCO is surely malleable enough to allow such modification. Hell - if Michael Vick, out of all morons out there, could thrive in it, then I see no reason why Petty can't fit in.

5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I totally agree with the goal as you state it. My concern is that we don't know enough about Morton to know whether he will construct his system so as to maximize the abilities of Petty and Hack, or if he will try to force them into the system he wants to run.

6. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

At least we know there will be a TE involved in the scheme.

The truth is that the WCO of today is very different than the original Air Coryel and Bill Walsh versions.

McCarthy, Shanahans, Hacket, Andy Reid, John Gruden, all used or use their version of it, you can make it a run heavy system, or intermediate pass heavy version.

I'm not against him using a WCO, it really comes down to how he chooses to use it.

As long as it does not mirror the BS version I'm willing to give the guy a chance. When Morningwood was the jets OC, they had a top 10 rushing offense under his version of the WCO, what they were missing was the QB and the receivers to complement the running game.

#226 Red Menace, Feb 4, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  7. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

Well we do have RB Powell as a pass catcher. Now we just need a TE. The pick of this guy as OC tells me the jets are going TE early in the draft.

8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be so sure of that.

Capable OL is the cornerstone of any good offense, but the requirement is different for different systems.

As for the WCO, they don't need to be all that bulky - as Coryell offense and Erhardt/Perkins under Parcells would dictate. What they lack in size, they must compensate with agility and quickness. So - they would be more fit for stretch runs, pulls and traps. Do the Jets have enough OL talent to call all these plays? I don't think so. As good as Mangold has been, he didn't play a single Jet Sweep. I don't think he is a WCO center. Same with Brian Winters, James Carpenter and et al.

So - either Jets can start building up OL, or they could custom-tailor the offense to fit the personnel on the roster. One of which [can] be drafting TE early on - but then that's not the only way.

9. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

If this guy flops he'll forever be known as the CPAP coach.

10. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

I think the choice of QB coach is going to be just as important as the Morton decision, thankfully an offensive guy in Morton is a big part of that decision rather than Bowles. Right now the 3 biggest names available, according to Cimini, are Greg Knapp, Chris Weinke and Marc Trestman. Of those I would take Weinke off the list 1st and then of the other 2 I like Trestman a little over Knapp but not that I have a huge amount of insight into the 2, I just think he has done a little more with a little less skilled players.

11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

If the Jets draft a frigging TE or RB early in the draft, I hope they lose every game, because they deserve to for being a dumb ass team.

12. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

I think Powell and ASJ are talented enough to be paired with a mid round RB and TE and we can have two solid duos at both spots.

O-Line, Pass Rush and Secondary are my core concerns right now.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Queue in at 35 seconds.

Just for you, byz.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

We have a ton of players to add to this, starting with Vernon Gholston. Smh, cmon youtubers. We need an update!!!

twown likes this.
  15. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

My question about Morton is why was he fired after 1 year in Seattle? What did he do wrong? Besides that I like the hire.

16. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Maybe CPAP machine got too noisy

17. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

He told Carroll to feed Beast Mode if they ever had a situation with 1st and goal from inside the 5 with the SB on the line. Carroll disagreed and said he would outsmart the other team by throwing it, which led to their irreconcilable differences.

donkey likes this.
  18. 2insane

2insane Well-Known Member

Is this going to be one of those "hey, you got a promotion and then you're fired" deals?