Schefter: Jets to hire Saint's WR Coach John Morton as their OC

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Dom, Jan 29, 2017.

1. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Marshall has taken shots at Cutler every chance he has . I doubt you could find a single player from Denver,Miami or Chicago who like Marshall and if he sticks around another year with the Jets, I'm sure he will aleinate the few players who have any respect remaining for him here too

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

My preference is to hire guys with experience and having success, but each situation has to be judged on its merits. I just think it's stupid to have a rookie GM, a rookie HC, and a rookie OC - it's "the blind leading the blind".

3. ColoradoContrails

You're right, he MIGHT have learned some things under those guys, but the fact is that he hasn't had to coordinate as many things as he's going to have to in this role, and so no matter what he's going to have a learning curve. Can the Jets really afford more OJT for their coaches?

4. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Wish him nothing but success. I just hope he gets a real chance and not just one year. I've said it plenty of times on this forum my priority these days is franchise stability. I'm willing to watch some garbage teams if it lets us build a strong foundation.

FJF likes this.
  5. SouthBayJetsfan4life

SouthBayJetsfan4life Well-Known Member

This has Tony Sparano written all over it.
    They bring in a guy who has no NFL coordinator experience., who may have to work with inexperienced signal callers. I'm not liking this hire at all.
    The move does seem consistent with Bowles' hiring of Kasey Rodgers. A position who has had no previous experience. But look how that's worked out.
    If my job is on the line, I'd turn the offense to a more experienced guy.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. David-The-Meats-Harris

David-The-Meats-Harris Well-Known Member

Hey man don't pin that hope shit on me, i spent a season actively enjoying the fucking misery, because it doesn't matter if you have Testaverde to Favre to neil slipping on a banana peel all the way up through the mirers and the carters and Vicks and Tebow on and fucking on. No matter how they do, it's just a let down waiting to happen. I can assure you, there's no tears spilled here. On the other hand, knowing the 2017 season is over, kinda like Rex and his last year or two, does suck. Not to mention I live in new England and have to hear how bad they suck on an almost daily basis.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

7. David-The-Meats-Harris

Also, I'm not gonna lie, I laughed out loud at this line. It's funny because truuue!

"I want to talk to him. I want to try to talk some sense to him, tell him the way things are. But I can't. That kid's long gone, and this old man is all that's left. I got to live with that."

abyzmul likes this.
  8. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

So should we tell the Woody or his brother to stop wasting our time?!

9. David-The-Meats-Harris

I've been asking for a few years actually lol

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

They can't, but odds are no OC with experience would even talk to Bowles. What's he gonna do?

11. NCJetsfan

We all would, but I'd be willing to bet that no experienced OC would even take Bowles' call.

12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

We are assuming way too much shit about the new OC, mostly driven by media gossip and frustrated fans.
    1- He ain't bringing Kap, that is pure BS at this point
    2- We don't know shit about what type of offense he will institute. West coast or pound the rock
    3- So he never called plays in the NFL. BFD. We had plenty that did and were not worth a fuck
    4- Top HC And OC are not out there available and waiting for a job. Nor are mega star QBs. You got to go with hi potential. We might have found a winner in the making
    5- I'll give the guy a chance over some rethreads any day
    6- He will only be as good as the personnel we give him. So let's fix the OL first
    It's apparent that people will bitch no matter what we select
    Just another day in the life of a Jet fan

13. NCJetsfan

Good post. #3 is an excellent point, as is #4 & #6.

14. Passepartout

Passepartout Active Member

Yeah as really Jets need to hire a QB that could be a franchise one.

15. Joey Jett

Joey Jett Member

Yep I was right. Your comeback was lame. *pats myself on the back* Now I'll answer your question. Why McCoy? Well it's a moot point now but I like his production, his experience as a head coach and play caller, and his ability to get the best out of his QB's. Granted he coached franchise guys in Peyton and Rivers, but you have to give him some credit. Offense was never the problem in his 3 years at SD. I also would've liked Norv Turner or Tom Clements. Morton is an unknown, so right now we have no idea how we will do.

16. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Having Drew Brees helps - a LOT.

Just like Josh McD was a utter and complete garbage without Tommy Brady.

17. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Here's a few reasons why I PERSONALLY like the hire, now my reasons may not amount to shit in the grand scheme of things because of the personnel but here's what I think.

1- He's worked under coaches that have went to the SB in Harbaugh and Payton.
    2- He has a bit of the best of both worlds. He's been under a run first pound em out type offense under Harbs and a west coast, spread type passing attack with the Saints. Who knows what exactly he may bring to the Jets but I'm excited to see more trips type formations and ones that play tight as opposed to true spreads (This is just some of the Saint concepts he has been under)
    3- He's done a good job with those Saint WR's. Cooks, Snead, Coleman and others have become legit WR's. Again it helps to have a Brees but he's coached up his unit well enough to be a very good unit. Him and the Jets WR coach maybe able to work a bit of magic and turn Anderson/Peake/Marshall/Enuwma into a top flight WR unit.
    4- He's coached under one of the brightest offensive minds in Payton. Some Jet fans wanted Payton to come here but that was a pipe dream. You get someone that LIKELY has picked up a few tidbits or a few being that he's worked under Payton for years.

NCJetsfan and FJF like this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

The life of a Jets fan, always having to put lipstick on a pig.

Yeah, it's a done deal, so we can now only hope that your "likes" pan out, but this is clearly "The franchise nobody - except the desperate - wants to work for".

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

I get that the Saints always had a great Offense and all... but what does their WR coach have to do with that? Doesn't he just teach and mentor his group of guys? Why are you guys so sure that it will translate into an explosive Saint-like offense in NY? Has he ever called any plays? What's his personnel? Did Brees even know who this guy was? I'm not bashing at all... I'd just really like to understand the hype? Sounds like another rookie on the coaching staff that's here to learn on the job.

20. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I'm just going to anticipate it will be Paul Hacket part deux.

Run, Run and pass to the TE. It's what TB wants from an offense, he wants the TE involved, he wants more balance on offense, Bowles does not want the QB in shotgun formation 90% of the time.

That's why the jets started running the ball more, Bowles asked Gailey to run the ball more and it's probably why Gailey retired. It's not his scheme and he simply did not want to do it.

At least that's what I think happened.

#200 Red Menace, Jan 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2017