Sanchez will start

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Dec 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Oops misread you post initially.

If he does that next season, I think he loses the toxic label. We could have Tom Brady at QB and if he threw a pick costing us, people would go crazy. I think he does what you wrote, and is the reason we are winning games, fans will forgive him quickly. He still is the quickest way to going from a mediocre team on the rebuild to a playoff team reloading and adding pieces

#441 displacedfan, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012
  2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

He's been playing scared for weeks.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He's been playing scared since the Philly game last season. Maybe even as far back as the Ravens game.

Nobody knows Sanchez limitations better than Sanchez. He had to be looking around at the team last year and thinking "they want me to do what now?"

4. NotSatoshiNakamoto

5. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

It seems watching McElroy makes him physically hurt. Either that or his is re-living his last meeting with Brady and regrets lack of vaseline during the encounter. :rofl2:

#445 RuJFan, Dec 7, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Mark looks like a total bitch

7. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

Well we floated the idea of mark Sanchez turning into the modern day version of ken obrien a couple years ago and seeing how this year is evolving I would say the comparison has some merit.

It's unfortunate because there is skill there, to a degree. Now Sanchez has not put together real good years like obrien had in the mid eighties but each qb's downfall has taken on a similar path - starting with the talent around them and the offensive line.

Really not sure if we will ever make the playoffs with Sanchez again. We likely have peaked with the current trifecta of Sanchez, Ryan, and tanny.

8. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

Man this would be a caption dream.

9. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

You perhaps need to better understand how you and other Sanchez Fans come across. A single minded focus on "we need to stick with Mark!" at this point, and the people like Ryan and Tanny who are pushing that approach, ignores too much evidence that he is bad for the team.

I understand, and specifically said, that in your mind you think that supporting Sanchez IS supporting the team. But the Sanchez Fan is so wrapped up in defending his shortcomings and

(here's where the real divergence with other Jet fans occurs)

BLAMES EVERYONE ELSE ON THE TEAM FOR HIS SHORTCOMINGS RATHER THAN ACKNOWLEDGING THAT HE SUCKS

then that is what makes the Sanchez Fan so annoying to the rest of us.

The team needs to move on from him. He's been given more than enough chances already. We get that it's a team game, and that other players and the CS are less than perfect. But he makes too many mistakes and does not elevate the team. He is regressing in his fourth year, and is a detriment to the team.

Those not invested in fandom for Mark Sanchez see all of this. Those who are too invested, sadly, do not.

That's what we are talking about here.

10. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

On this point and in response to CD above, I never laid odds on the likelihood of McElroy being the starter next year. In fact I do not even have confidence he should be the #2 qb next year. But I think he's shown enough promise to be looked at, as #2 if not #1 next year. And to your point the chance of Sanchez flipping the switch as you put it at this point is LESS than that McElroy can show he deserves to start, and much less than that he can show he should be solid as the backup.

11. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

If we had a veteran backuo, such as a younger Vinny Testeverde, he would have been starting about 6 games ago...thanks Tanny

12. Massena

Massena New Member

Well, I hate to say it but they have to start somebody and the choices are? Frankly, they could start anyone of these three and I am not sure what difference it would make but hope does spring eternal, doesn't it?

13. Barcs

Barcs Banned

To clarify, I'm a JETS fan. Not just a Sanchez fan. Sanchez succeeding is what's best for the Jets organization right now, so that's what I'd like to see. I don't care about the past. I care about the future. The worst scenerio for this team is having to eat Sanchez' salary and bring in and pay another QB. It will hinder our development in other areas. that's the reason people want him to succeed. It's not blind man love or anything like that. It's salary cap management. If Sanchez stinks up this game against one of the worst D's in the league however, THEN I will agree we should explore McElroy as starter. If the benching doesn't motivate him, I'll be pretty surprised, but you have to at least give it a shot.

14. jetiron

jetiron New Member

at this stage if motivation was a problem then Sanchez is really not the guy. You shouldn't need to be motivated to perform at this level. U get all this money to perform at all times, not to self-motivate yourself from time to time.

15. RuJFan

RuJFan Well-Known Member

Ok, fair enough, but let me ask you though...
    In the past Sanchez's MO was to have 1 good game mixed in with 3-4 stinkers. So where do you draw the line?
    Let's say he plays well against Jac -- how much leash does it by him in your book?

16. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

It's better to eat it now and move on than to wait. We will have to bring in a new QB no matter what and waiting an extra year will only delay the process.

17. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I agree. Going into next year with Sanchez as a clear starter is worst thing this organization could do.

I actually feel it could cost Rex his job, which i do not want to see.
    He's in a bit of a no win situation here, as Sanchez is both cooked and guaranteed, and there is no great alternative. Players know it, and could end up losing motivation if they keep sticking with Sanchez and getting the same negative results.

18. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

Typically I would agree but I don't in this particular instance for two reasons.
    1) we don't have a bonafide guy to replace him anyway so it's not like we're holding someone back. Plus we're not going to draft a surefire starter this year or bring one in via free agency or trade.
    2) according to what I've read the contract extension makes it easier to walk away from Sanchez at the end of next season.

Primary offseason goal should be to improve the offense, that much is obvious. So put a lot of resources into that to improve the offense in general.

I would still challenge Sanchez for the starter position for the start of next year, whether that's Tebow, McElroy, a draft pick or free agent makes no difference to me. However, odds are that Sanchez would be the starter come week one. However that doesn't mean he would be the starter by week 17. It just doesn't make sense to pay him $8+ mil for nothing and then also pay someone else. If nothing else it just gives us less cap flexibility to pursue other free agents or extend guys currently on the roster and ties our hands even further.

If Sanchez can't stick it next year with some improvements on offense over the offseason and we go to McElroy (or whoever) and they can't get it done either then we move on from there. Maybe Sanchez improves enough to the point where he would at least bring something back in a trade. Maybe not.

19. Barcs

Barcs Banned

I think we won't really know until the Chargers game. The Jags and Titans have shit defense, that Mark will probably succeed against. The Chargers have a top 10 D, so they will have it much tougher, especially with their high ranked rushing D. That would be a better test to see if the benching worked and lit a fire under his ass, or if he's beyond repair. Of course it would help a shit ton have Holmes on the field, but we know that's not happening. I say if the Jets win out and Mark plays 4 good games, and maybe makes playoffs, we stick with him next year.

#459 Barcs, Dec 7, 2012
  20. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Not if they draft a QB to be the hopeful eventual starter. Sanchez starts for one final year until the rookie can take over. It will give him a chance to learn the team without being thrown into the fire right of the bat. What's the difference on WHEN you eat the salary. It has to be eaten no matter what, right? So in that case, either Sanchez finally breaks out of his shell in year 5, or we have a young guy in position waiting to take the reigns. I still think the better move is to not bring in another QB because it will severely hurt the team. Sanchez was able to win games in the past with more talent, so I'd rather see the money spent there. Plus there's the Holmes and Keller injuries that have plagued us all year. You can't just pretend those didn't exist or don't factor into the decision and Mark's struggles this year.

#460 Barcs, Dec 7, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.