Sanchez considered not good enough by rest of the league?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetfan76, May 9, 2011.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Sure playoff wins are about more than just one player but how many playoff games were we winning before he got here? I realize Rex is a big part of it too but 4 ROAD playoff wins- tied for the most in NFL history is a much more important stat than comp %.

Freeman is a really good young QB and I think he will keep getting better but so far he has never played a real pressure game in the NFL. The closest was that Lions game at home and he lost it.

2. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Which happens to be a Game Winning drive/ 4th quarter comeback game for our Sanchize QB. No defensive help in that one, Sanchez was even calling the plays.

Like I said before, comparing Sanchez and Freeman at this point is like apples and oranges. Until Freeman plays a real meaningful game I won't even consider a comparison.

3. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

The Texans gave up 24 or more points 14 times last year and more than 30 points 8 times. I don't care who you are no team is going to the playoffs with that kind of defense.

ETA - in the 2009 opener the Jets defense played a great game putting pressure on Schaub. It's not really fair to compare each QB from that game because Sanchez was not going up against the Jets defense.

4. GoPats

GoPats Well-Known Member

I like Schaub, but this is a bit of a stretch. Can you name a few for those of us who don't get to see a lot of Texans games?

It seems to me you need to have a "key moment" opportunity before you succeed or fail in that moment.

5. nyjunc

Again, I don't solely blame Schaub but he had chances to win games to make the playoff sin 2009 and against us that was our first game w/ that new D and that was Sanchez's first start and he was badly outplayed by mark.

Last year their D stunk, 2 years ago it was middle of the pack and more than good enough to make the playoffs w/. I am not impressd w/ fantasy #s as you know, it has to be accompnaied by big moments in big games and he has none.

6. MadBacker Prime

Part of that is also sustaiining drives to give your defense a rest.

Schaub had the 25th worst QB rating in the first half, and he's right around 25th for INTs thrown in the first half. Compound that with having the 2nd highest passing attempts in the first half (AFC), and that is not good for the defense.

Basically they are always playing catchup

7. Murrell2878

Sanchez wasn't playing against that Jets defense - which was awesome in the opening game against the Texans. That new D hadn't been seen by any team yet and they thoroughly dominated the Texans.

I'm not saying Schaub is better than Sanchez, but he's a good QB that hasn't had all of the pieces to make a good playoff run. In 2009 they had no running game and last year their defense was terrible.

I agree that he hasn't had the big moments, and I don't think he's among the elite in the NFL. The Texans had no balance to their offense in 2009. They had 10 games where they didn't even rush for 100 yards and only averaged 3.5 YPA. This is an extremely difficult thing to overcome for a good but not great QB.

8. Murrell2878

I hate the QB rating.

9. nyjunc

Schaub has the ability to be a top tier QB but I want to see him play in and perform well in big games before he climbs up my list. I'm not saying I wouldn't want him but he still has a ton to prove in this league despite the good #s.

10. MadBacker Prime

Plus all the Sanchez talk about his surrounding cast. What about Andre Johnson, he could make me look like a good QB.

Andre is like Braylon and Holmes mixed together.

11. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Schaub is so overrated as a player it's ridiculous. He's only considered elite by people who base all their opinions on fantasy football. He consistently comes up small in big games and big spots, but always manages to put up stats because the Texans defense is awful, they're usually playing from behind, and he plays in a really good offensive passing system. If Sanchez were the Texans QB he'd be putting up some real nice stats too. Except if that were the case, the Texans might actually win some of those close games.

12. jonnychan

jonnychan New Member

So you are again agreeing to my point that you "as Jets fan" like Sanchez over Freeman.

Like you think Freeman cannot handle the pressure of big city and spotlight, I think Sanchez cannot handle playing behind a bad O-line with amateur receivers and a defense that will do him no favors.

Seems like the players find the latter quality more impressive, which is why Freeman was even ahead of Flacco.

As far as the Detroit game goes, Freeman brought the Bucs into the lead with 2 mins remaining in the clock. Heck, if not for the BS pass interference call on the previous drive that eliminated a Kellen Winslow Jr TD on 3rd down (to which the referees and the league later apologized), Lions would not even have had a chance for comeback in those 2 mins.

Yes Freeman failed against the Falcons. But never in the whole season was he the one to hold back Bucs from winning against any team, he was the reason they had a chance if anything. But I am sure there were games where Jets were being held back by Sanchez's QB'ing (vs Packers, Dolphins).

13. nyjunc

How bad could the TB OL be when their RB averaged 5 YPC?

Amateur receivers? TB has excellent receivers and an excellent receiving TE. he has as many weapons around him in TB as Sanchez has around him in NY.

We don't know if Freeman can handle the spotlight, I THINK he can but he hasn't played a real pressure game in his career.

Sanchez wasn't holding us back against GB and Miami, if Santonio Holmes makes 2 easy catches we probably win both games. There were games as a rookie where Sanchez held us back but not really as a 2nd year player and he led us to many late comeback wins after the D and/or running game failed.

Both guys have incredibly bright futures, one has proven he can play on the biggest stage in janaury while the other has to prove he can play in the biggest games. I believe he can but he still needs to prove it.

14. sg3

sg3 Banned

sanchez is miles better than freeman and always will be

15. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

i agree, schaub got a ton of garbage time points for me in fantasy last year.

freeman has done alot better against shitty teams, and right now is an overall better quarterback.

that being said, i would not trade sanchez for freeman straight up. sanchez has done a shit ton more in his career so far.

16. MadBacker Prime

What he said-

On top of that, both of those defenses are top 6.

17. MadBacker Prime

To add on a little bit...

Those are exactly the big spots I mean though. 4th quarter, against a division rival, down by 4 with 4 minutes to go and Freeman throws a pick. On top of that Freeman got a 15 yard penalty called against him. Atlanta is no powerhouse defense either, they're a middle of the road D.

Freeman had a impressive stat line in 2010, that's for sure. It's still apples and oranges until he plays a meaningful game, and WINS.

The Bucs strength of schedule was 26th in the league in 2010. The Jets were 15th.

In 2010 the Bucs did not beat one single playoff team (Excuse the 7-9 Seahawks, and the last game of the year with the Saints playing for nothing)

Pittsburgh wiped the floor with you and Joshy threw a pick 6. Lost 2 key games to Atlanta and when NO had something to play for they won 31-6.
    The rest of your schedule was a joke, Panthers twice, Cards, Niners, Detroit (L), and Cleveland.

The previous year, (3-13) the SOC was 5th and the Jets 7th.

Since you love stats so much no matter how you get them.
    Freeman only played in 9.05 games and threw 18 picks. While Sanchez played the full 16 and threw 20.

2nd side-note, Sanchez broke 2 rookie playoff QB records. Sanchez has the highest total playoff rating as well as the highest playoff rating in a single playoff game, you like stats, how bout them stats?

The single game record was broken against a top 3 defensive team that year.

So finally, all I am saying is I won't compare the two until Freeman gets his team to a meaningful game. Since we were a team that was ready to win right away in 2009 we went with out best option, The Sanchize. We didn't wait to start him until week 9.

18. jonnychan

jonnychan New Member

TB's OL is bad, real bad. NFC South fans know how bad it is and I doubt anyone else would really know about it considering no one really gives a shit about Buccaneers football.

If you follow Profootballfocus.com's articles, you will see that Freeman was among the top 3 QBs to face pressure last year (blitzes and plain pass rush). Buccaneers' pass protection was so god awful that the O-line coach was fired after the 2010 season. As far as Blount's rushing stats go, I promise you on this, he is one highly talented mofo could have a LOT better stats behind a better O-line. Blount could have been as successful or more behind any O-line in the league.

Here is what an article on that site said about Bucs O-line:

There is a recent article on all the QBs on Profootballfocus titled "Pressure Reveals" (you will find it right away on their website) where the writer looks at how much pressure some QBs faced and how well did they perform facing that pressure.

You will see that the difference between NYJ and TB O-lines are night and day.

As far as the receivers and the TEs go, yes K-II is a very good receiving option, but the rest were amateurs when the season began. Playing the WR position is not purely based on athletic skill, the QB and the WR need to be on the same page all the time and it is not an easy feat to accomplish when both the QB and WRs were amateurs. Holmes and Edwards are veterans and good ones at it. Mike Williams might turn out to be better than both, but Edwards and Holmes >>> Mike Williams the rookie.

I agree with all the other points you say. I however would like to mention that you forgot to talk about Sanchez. Sanchez has not proven yet that he can play better than his team and get them to places they would not make it if not for him.

19. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

A few bad weeks shouldn't overshadow the fact that he had a lot more good to great weeks of football. And in January his numbers clearly shows he kicks ass, since that's what is making freeman better than Sanchez in these dopey arguments.

I fucking love how Sanchez wins 11 games last season and is heralded as future top QB and then returns to the AFC Championship game and every is convinced he's going to be great, and then a fucking useless top 100 voted on by the players is making everyone bash Sanchez and praise Freeman.

This whole fucking thread is complete garbage.

20. jonnychan

jonnychan New Member

Well, which one among us both started comparing Freeman and Sanchez? I know it is not me. I disagreed with someone that said Sanchez had a much higher ceiling that Freeman and said they cannot be compared due to the varying situations.

I however like the way you keep bringing the topic back what Freeman has not done that Sanchez did, but fail to acknowledge what Freeman has done that Sanchez did not. I like QBs that carry their teams better than the ones that get carried. To each his own I guess...