Sanchez: 32 TD's and 18 Interceptions...Regression?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by soxxx, Jan 3, 2012.

1. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Yeah, there's no factual basis in assuming his completion % will go up. Other than the fact that his completion % has gone up every year. That's it. Don't let that fact get in your way.

2. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Please how many times did it look like Mark was done and somehow scrambled away. Blaming him for all the sacks is just silly after watching D lines destroy our O line.

3. Struckanerve9

Struckanerve9 New Member

THANK YOU!!! I swear I'll never understand how people don't get this. We had an OLine that went from giving up 28 sacks to giving up 40! The Jets run game went from 4th to 22nd!!!! Wake up people, this line is a mess and it effects everything we do on offense. It's a small miracle that Sanchez's stats actually IMPROVED year to year.

4. avrus

avrus New Member

Given the number of illegal hits on Sanchez I'm shocked he wasn't severely injured and taken out for the year.

5. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

His completion went from:
    2009: 53.8%
    2010: 54.8%
    2011: 56.7%

Sure, it went up, but it's still horrible for a starting QB. Plus, his yards per attempt has gone down each year.
    2009: 6.7
    2010: 6.5
    2011: 6.4

It might be fair to assume if his yards per attempt goes up, his completion percentage may go down.

6. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I never blamed him for all the sacks. He certainly contributed to some though.

7. PatsFanTX

PatsFanTX Banned

That is totally ridiculous, YPA has absolutely nothing to do with the OC.

It has everything to do with a QB's completion percentage and ability to consistently hit the intermediate pass routes.

8. Struckanerve9

Struckanerve9 New Member

That's called IMPROVEMENT. No one's saying he doesn't need more. YPA is actually more a factor of play-calling, route running, and protection. Put it this way, how many deep throws did you see this year? How much time did Sanchez have to actually attempt a deep throw? And, given both the right play call (deep pass) and good protection, how often was there a receiver open deep?

Probably not too often.

9. avrus

avrus New Member

That's my point. We don't have intermediate pass routes. We have slant routes. That's it.

Sanchez can't throw to an intermediate or long target because there aren't any.

10. Struckanerve9

Struckanerve9 New Member

Or he doesn't have time for those routes to develop (due to poor protection), or the receivers are covered (due to lack of credible run game, teams can hang back). Yeah, accuracy is a concern, but that's covered by completion %, not YPA.

11. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Yeah, look how many times we went down the field with Braylon last year and compare it now. I only remember one throw over 30 yards I think. We got a PI on it, besides that we rarely if ever went down the field. We don't know if that is due to the lack of down the field routes, poor protection, or Sanchez missing the guy. I figure it is mostly the first two since Sanchez went down the field last year.

12. Struckanerve9

Struckanerve9 New Member

I'll say it again. OLine went from 28 sacks to 40 and went from 4th ranked in rushing to 22nd. How is that Sanchez's fault again?

13. Struckanerve9

Struckanerve9 New Member

Yeah. I agree. Plus, it's pretty tough to throw a deep ball when your flat on your back.

14. KWJetsFan

Like going from an D to a C-.

For a QB with 3 years in the league, plus 6 playoff games, that's just not enough.

I understand the variables that factor into it, but it's just not enough improvement.

Even Tanny said he didn't play well this year. If the GM says it live, on a big NYC radio show, not sure how fans can still stick up for him.

Not saying he can't get to where he needs to go (I hope he does), but he isn't where he needs to be now. I certainly have my doubts, and now it's clear the organization higher ups do as well.

15. Struckanerve9

Struckanerve9 New Member

sigh...

Look man, I'm not going to bust out the stats yet again, for the umpteenth time, but take a second...go look it up. Sanchez's numbers are on par with a lot of very successful QBs when they were in their third year. It's by no means a perfect comparison, but it's what we have to go on as far as empirical analysis is concerned. If you want to go on your gut feeling, you go ahead. I just hope the Jets FO doesn't because I'm already concerned with their decision making skills.

16. perfectpackage99

yes regression, Stat's done mean anything, why don't you pull up his stats against above 500 teams.

Sanchez has an IQ below 100, he is a moron, a dumb QB aint going to win you a SB, unless you have the 85 bears defense and Barry Sanders at RB.

17. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

This is something that a lot of people fail to realize. Sanchez did a great job avoiding a TON of sacks this year. Thank you for bringing this up. :beer:

18. Struckanerve9

Struckanerve9 New Member

Yeah...stats don't mean anything. Right. How about this...I'm tired of pulling up stats to support or counter other people's arguments. Why don't YOU pull up his stats against plus 500 teams and maybe include them in your response. Oh right, you just said they don't mean anything. Here's something else you should look up...the definition of "hypocrisy."

19. KWJetsFan

Fair enough. I just think because other QB's had comparable stats and then busted out, doesn't mean he will as well. Of course, it also can be used as a fair indicator that you don't give up on him. Hopefully Sanchez will bust out with an improved O-line and WR's that can get separation. I'm also hoping for an OC that plays to his strengths. Sadly, the more I hear Tanny speak, the more I think Shotty returns if he doesn't get a HC job.

20. Struckanerve9

Struckanerve9 New Member

I actually really wish there was a way to measure this. Like an escapability index or something. Would be really helpful right about now.