Sanchez: 32 TD's and 18 Interceptions...Regression?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by soxxx, Jan 3, 2012.

1. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

Easier to blame the QB who you are bringing back then indict the OL or WR's that you f***** up.

"Hey, I know what to do: let's give our 3rd-year QB, in a lockout-shortened off-season, 3 new WR's !!!

2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Sanchez needs to learn a lot of things, one of them being when to give up on a play and throw it into the stands. He also needs to stop feeling pressure that isn't there and leaving a clean pocket. The guys throwing motion is all out of whack from this season and he needs an off season with GOOD coaching to get back to where he was in that regard.

I think the poor o-line play is a major factor in all of these problems. I think he has too short a clock in his head and thinks he's going to get hit quickly every play.

When he makes foolish decisions like throwing the ball to a DE on first down to avoid a sack way too late in the process, that's on him. He made far too many mental mistakes in regards to game situation this year. He needs to grow up.

3. avrus

avrus New Member

On this we're agreed. I think he started out the season fine but no pass protection just got in his head and he wasn't the same for the reason of the season.

If we can get an Oline that can protect him most of the time and a solid coach in place he'll be fine.

4. Struckanerve9

Struckanerve9 New Member

Sooo...what are you trying to say? That Sanchez isn't as good as Brady, Rodgers, or Brees? OK. Is he much worse? I mean, I'm looking at the same stats and I don't see that. I see a guy who has the third most yards (out of the 4), the third most TDs. The most picks, but also the most sacks. You also completely disregard the fact that of those 4, Sanchez is the ONLY one who started his rookie year. Brees started one game his rookie year and has had some stinkers himself. See 2003-04, which was his third year total.

5. Struckanerve9

Struckanerve9 New Member

Absolutely agree. Then we'll really see what kind of QB he can be.

6. avrus

avrus New Member

That's exactly what I'm trying to say.

I'm also seeing a QB who, if under the right OC and Oline, would have had 8-10 less interceptions, more yards per attempt and less pass attempts (presumably for a higher completion number).

All of this against 3 of the most elite QBs in the league.

This was in reaction to all of the people saying how awful Sanchez is.

7. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

You are assuming things with no basis in fact. There is no reason to think his completion percentage would go up. His INTs might go down on volume, but so would his TDs. And 8-10 INTs is a huge drop to randomly assume.
    Sanchez is ranked in the bottom third of the league in almost every category for QBs, he does not have anywhere near the worst team around him, and as such we have to assume his ability is marginal. Sure on a great team he might become an above average QB by the stats, but there is no reason as of yet to think of him as anything other than replacement level.
    Additionally this was the best year for QBs in league history, so of course his yards are fairly high, despite this also being an excellent year league wide in the rate stats, Sanchez's trail well behind the players you compared him to.

8. avrus

avrus New Member

Can we please stop perpetuating completely incorrect information? He's in the middle of the league on almost every category.

* 15th in completions
    * 9th in attempts
    * 14th in Att/G
    * 15th in yardage
    * 9th in TDs
    * 13th in first downs
    * 20th in first down conversions
    * 27th in completion percentage
    * 5th worst in interceptions

In addition you're out of touch with reality if you think he didn't have one of the worst Olines in the league this year.

He had 7 INTs in the last 3 games, 2 games of which were so badly coordinated that it's a wonder he didn't have more. It's easy to see an 8-10 INT improvement. We should have been running the ball on the Giants and we should have been running the ball and throwing deep on the Eagles.

His completion percentage would go up because we'd have an offensive coordinator who can actually come up with good routes. Who wouldn't have Sanchez throw 60 times against the Giants.

9. Jets42long

Jets42long Member

Ok now this is as ridiculous as I've heard. It is now his OC's fault that Sanchez threw over half of his picks this year.

10. NotSatoshiNakamoto

The Jets were 13th in sacks allowed with a QB who was helping to allow some of those sacks.

11. avrus

avrus New Member

A combination of offensive pressure because the Oline wasn't providing protection, bad route designs and a QB who was thoroughly rattled for at least 12 of 16 games.

Edit: If you don't believe offensive pressure causes QB errors go back and watch our games last year with Brady. Brady is a prime example of a QB who starts to make bad decisions when he's under pressure. Now play 16 games like that.

#231 avrus, Jan 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  12. Jets42long

Jets42long Member

The only stats he is above average are related to attempts, and that is what you are claiming is the problem.

Plus why don't we take your baseless assumption to the other extreme. Sanchez would gave had 10 more Ints with a different OC. One that would have allowed him to throw more downfield, where is poor accuracy would have led to more Ints and a lower completion percentage. Not to mention less attempts=less yardage.

13. avrus

avrus New Member

You said he was in the bottom 3rd, I never claimed he was above average.

14. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Considering the league has completely changed the rules to favor the passing game you would think we would throw down the field more rather than jamming everyone up including the D in a very narrow band.

QB's are throwing for more yards and more YPC because the advantage is so great for recievers in space you would have to be insane to not get them in space.

Throwing up long balls in the NFL 4 things can happen, a big play a pass interference for a big play an incompletion or an INT. INT's down the field are much less costly than INT's across the field. We continually throw across the field into tight windows. I don't get it?

15. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

You padded that with completely useless categories like attempts, completions, yardage etc which are volume stats and useless in comparing players.

He was in the bottom third of the league in completion percentage, YPA, 1st down % and QB rating. Any stat that could not be obtained by sheer volume throwing.

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

He also did a pretty damn good job avoiding those sacks for the majority of the season.

17. avrus

avrus New Member

QBR rating is a meaningless stat.

If you want to talk padded stats, YPA has more to do with the OC than the QB. Our problem all year is we never went deep. Ever.

Completions and yardage are meaningless stats? :lol:

18. Pereiro16

Pereiro16 Member

Yea its their fault he throws it at their feet or too high up

Its their fault he throws the ball into the lineman's hands

Its their fault he doesnt get rid of the ball when being chased

Its their fault he doesnt see wide open players

19. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

It's already been reported that Plax will be gone. Who knows if they bring back Holmes after the recent debacle?

So basically, Sanchez will have 1, possibly 2 new receivers again this year.

20. Struckanerve9

Struckanerve9 New Member

Oh ok...right on then. I'm with you.