Salary Cap Picture

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by James Hasty, Dec 30, 2013.

1. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Your joking right?I don't see any way Holmes comes back.Just because he would knock a million off his contract doesn't make him a bargain type of deal.I don't envision Holmes weaing a Jets uniform next season.Why would Idzik wanna waste the num 1 Wr spot on Holmes?And Holmes will become a distraction if his playing time decreases or we move him down the depth chart.Just don't see it man it doesn't make sense,Idziks legacy is gonna be based on how he fixes the offense ,He's gonna gamble on his future by keeping an unproductive player who's been a cancer in the past by keeping him for cheap?at the no 1 slot?Holmes still thinks he's a num one wr,I could only imagine the cancer he would become if we knocked him down the depth chart ,

#61 LongIslandBlitz, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Our 2 biggest needs are WR and FS. One of these will be filled in the first round of the draft.

If the BPA at 18 is a WR, Idzik will take him and cut Santonio. But this means Idzik will re-sign Ed Reed and probably Cro to hold the fort.

If the BPA at 18 is a FS, Idzik will take him and cut Ed Reed. But this means Idzik will have to re-sign Santonio to hold the fort until 2015.

WR and FS are top skill positions that are generally taken in the 1st round if they are expected to start, and that is what Idzik needs in order to cut either Holmes or Ed Reed.

I really don't know what to do if the next Megatron AND Troy Palamalu are both sitting there at 18. I'd probably lean towards a Troy Palamalu type defender since he would represent the last piece to a top rated Rex Ryan defense where a top WR would be only part of a 2-3 year rebuilding process.

3. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Strongly disagree with offering any money to Chris Johnson. Also, why do you think Rex is capable of getting more out of Chris Johnson than most other coaches? Chris Johnson is NOT gonna be happy as a 3rd down back. He sees himself with only one role -- feature RB. This is the same RB that complained to the press because he wasn't happy Titans offered Greene a contract.

There are some areas which need upgrading much more than RB. WR, OLB, G, Safety would be much more bang for the buck when it comes to using Free Agency to improve this roster.

#63 ajax, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  4. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Is it possible that some of Santonio's horrible reputation is media-driven? Look, he's not a "great" guy to have on a roster, but I wonder what his teammates and his coaches really think of him. Saying something about Carolina's secondary isn't why we lost to them. So much of this crap is so overblown these days. It's so easy to jump on him.

I'm not saying I really want him back, but he has the talent to win a game or two for us at a position we are starving for. He can still make catches and plays others can not. It would not bother me to see him return. Obviously if he's our #1 we're in trouble, but I'd still take him as part of tandem as a #2. He'll be another year removed from that bad injury.

I'd cut him and let him see what else is out there, then see what it'd take to bring him back. We can compare that to other FA's and see if it's worth it. I still like his talent.

5. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

cut the big 3 and bring in needed players across the roster. cro is a tough one but i say cut him...it's his second hip injury and it clearly hurt him this season. cut him a year early rather then a year late.

6. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I don't get all the hate that Holmes gets. Everyone talks about him being this locker room cancer but that's all media bullshit.
    If Holmes wants to come back on the cheap then I'd kill for a guy like him as a third option, with Kearly as a #2 and a proven WR to be our true #1.

I think Nicks can be had without breaking the bank and really increase production down the field.
    Get me a beast TE, even Pettegrew wouldn't break the bank and really bolster this offense.

7. LogeSection2RowJ

I agree.

Is there any reason at all to think about going after Jimmy Graham? it doesn't get any 'beastier" than that...

8. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

I'd love Graham obviously, but I don't see NO letting him hit the open market.
    Pettigrew or Pitta would help us big time along with drafting a top prospect.

9. LogeSection2RowJ

Pettigrew? I don't know… I'm with you about drafting a top prospect though. I guess the Winslow era was just for one year? Cumberland's staying? I still like him. Made a nice catch on the Bilal Powell option pass last week.

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't understand why you or anyone would want him back. He's unreliable physically and mentally. He's older, he drops passes, and isn't a #1 WR anyway. His behavior has not been overblown by the media. It is what it is. He is a selfish, me-first and only type person and player. Why in the world would we want someone like him having a bad influence on the young WRs we draft?

11. TonyIommi

TonyIommi Active Member

How do Geno's numbers give you hope? He too is close to the bottom of every QB
    measurable.

12. edray10

edray10 Well-Known Member

Idzik will go for BPA in the first 2 or 3 rounds (just like he did last year). He will then try to fill needs. The jets will likely have 12 draft picks, with 8 or 9 picks (depending on whether TB cuts Revis) in the 4th round or later. I expect that of those 8 or 9 at least 4-5 will be used on WRs, TEs and safeties (unless they sign 2 big name WR/TE FAs and 1 big name safety FA).