Rumor: Jets want to start Zach but Zach doesn’t want to play

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by CTJet22, Dec 4, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I do agree Mike is decent, but you only remember the good times. Mike ended each of his two years with the Jets with more INTs than TDs and 75 passer rating. I do agree he can be very good, but we don't have protection, which he absolutely needs. Did you forget how he turned into a pumpkin at the end after eating these hits? I was there at the Bears game. There was finally some hope. And then what happened? Oline could not protect Mike and his body gave out. Even when back he was look over his shoulder and he always will once he gets a few hits again. There are only few QBs in the League that could have functioned well with this line. Mike White is not one of them. And btw, neither is Flacco. He actually did OK for Browns on Sunday, but recall the Miami game for us: he couldn't do shit when pressured.

So, when people keep pointing at other QBs, remember: after a couple of games hits will accumulate. We have seen this play out again and again with White who was effectively out of the season, Rodgers, who was out of the season. Flacco, who couldn't do shit at the end of last year. It's a tough situation for any QB, particularly not a great one. And even a great one too not lasting too long.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Yes
    What’s your point Jets needed to magically pluck a franchise QB out of the sky?

Or we should have kept Mike White and rebuilt our OL?

Or ARod should play with a torn achilles?

I don’t get your solve here…

3. SOXXX2

SOXXX2 Well-Known Member

I don't really blame Wilson here. The offensive line sucks. The coordinator sucks. The lack of receivers sucks.

He sucks too but this situation isn't going to help his case. I don't think any team will really look down on him for essentially quitting here because it's probably the worst offensive situation in the league.

It's over for him in NY. He should be cut immediately if he refuses to play anyways, at least show that you have a backbone as an organization. It's a win-win for both sides tbh.

4. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

The Oline is the biggest point. With half decent line Rodgers may not even get hurt. And if he did, even Zach would do better, and if not Zach then Wentz, White, or whoever. People keep bringing up White or Flacco and saying how things would have been better if we just had them. I don't think so. Unless our GM can improve the OLine, we are not going anywhere. And JD for whatever reason just can't get it done.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Rossini is now saying they asked Zach to start last week on Wednesday? This just seems a little odd as they benched him just a few days earlier. Originally I thought the whole thing happened Sunday/Monday, since they clearly needed a change at QB again. That made sense. But last Wednesday just doesn't make sense. Honestly, I think perhaps there is something to the report, where Zach showed some attitude, but then he cleared the air with Saleh and asked to start. Not a great look, but doesn't seem like a huge deal. Bigger problem is the leak, and I believe the report made a small thing sound a lot worse than it is.

Rodgers did say Zach will speak soon. Would be good to know his side of the story.

6. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

We're definitely doing better with Mike White or Wentz... Are you kidding me?

Rodgers got hurt a typical sack and he already had calf issues all threw off season training and camp. His Achilles was going to rupture no matter what. And he was the oldest player in the NFL on Week 1.

I hear what you're saying about the OL. JD should be fired. I don't think you can blame Saleh for this. He lost his QB and starting OL by midway through the season.

But all the QBs including Zach missed too many plays. The OL is bad - but there were plays left on the field by QBs and the playmakers.

#306 BrooklynJetsFan, Dec 6, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2023
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I just dug it up and read it. It looks like Rodgers reportedly wanted Cobb, Lazard and Odell here. The Jets signed Cobb, Lazard and heavily pursued Odell (who also met with Rodgers personally in the offseason).

So I’m not seeing where this is some big lie. Hopefully there’s something else. I mean not for anything but she’s reportedly one of the highest paid reporters in the history of the NYT’s organization.

8. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

I think it was just the way it was reported and worded. Having a suggestion list is different than having a demand list which is what was initial report was iirc

9. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Russini went on WFAN this morning and said for the Athletic to report this, they need at least 3 sources they have to name to the editor before it goes out and it can’t be someone like a janitor. It’s 100% true and Zach was probably telling many people this after he was benched not thinking he would ever get another chance but here we are. Just an awful look for Zach and he should have been careful of what he says.

10. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

It also speaks to how much his teammates may not like him. You say this in confidence to a group of people/friends and then they go tell it to a reporter.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

That could be fair. I don’t remember the headlines but this is the rebuttal to Rodgers trashing her back then.

https://x.com/sportsvids991/status/1636064563912122369?s=20

This isn’t the first time that has reportedly happened with Rodgers either.

https://nypost.com/2021/07/28/packers-cave-into-aaron-rodgers-demand-with-randall-cobb-trade/

ouchy and dawinner127 like this.
  12. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

I think both of these points are completely accurate, and speaks volumes about how much Zach actually won back the locker room.

When your teammates wear shirts with the back up name on them as they did last year, you don't ever get them back just with words and maturity. I think they all played nice this year because they didn't have much choice, they knew the Jets went and got someone else and it didn't work out, and I'll give credit to the Jets front office for teaching them how to be a good teammates and keep their mouth shut. But that only lasts so long. If he did indeed express such sentiments to anyone in that locker room, it's not the least it's surprising that this made its way to the press once there was a possibility (or even likelihood) that he could play again.

The fact that it's all coming out now is an absolutely terrible sign of what the morale in that locker room is like, and even if I didn't have evidence of this happening with the Jets previously, this is likely going to force Woody's hand in the off-season. I'm not sure Aaron Rodgers can't even save this regime at this point.

#312 The_Darksider, Dec 6, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2023
    RevisIsland18 likes this.
  13. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

if this was a big deal, why is only rousini reporting it? aren't there any other jet beat reporter that confirms this? i dont see anything from cimini as much as i dislike him.

i think she's irrelevant and throwing some shit that may stick ot the wall. athletic is a joke....

14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Agreed.

Last year it was the "Mike F'n White" t-shirt bullshit that wasn't nipped in the bud, and this year it's "Zach doesn't want to play". Isn't it clear that this team has no discipline? Isn't it clear why they fold like cheap lawn chairs when the pressure is on? "Team character" comes from the top down, but this team's "character" is so light weight it floats up like a gassy turd.

And even if Zach said he didn't want to play after how he's been treated, how is that any different from the players who forced their way out because they wanted more money (respect)? I'm not condoning him for doing what he did (assuming he did), but plenty of players have done the same thing, but because it's Zach Wilson, it's now a capital offense. He's become the lightning rod for this team, and attracts all the negative attention away from the targets that should be hit. Just remember: the Titanic didn't sink because it hit the tip of the iceberg.

LAJet likes this.
  15. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

There's one thing we haven't heard yet: not even a peep from Wilson.

If you were him and this report was false, wouldn't you be screaming from the housetops that this story was a load of crap? I would, and I bet you would, too. .

16. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm sure he was told to keep his mouth shut at this point, for good reason.

And not that it would change any minds at all, but if he did come out and say something like: "Yes, in the heat of the moment, and in reaction to being benched again, I did say I didn't want to play. I was angry and frustrated. I'm human. With the passing a few days I've been able to get some perspective, and I spoke with Coach Saleh and told him I'm ready to play whenever he needs me".

Would that help? As I said, those who want no part of Wilson on this team wouldn't change their minds at all about him. He's best served by keeping his mouth shut and doing whatever is asked of him as long as he's here and let his play speak for him, good or bad.

Borat likes this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

it's human to have concerns. players voice these concerns all the time among each other. unless his number is called and he refuses to play then it's a big deal. until then he said he wants to play. who cares if he was worried or not?
    the media didn't even make this big of a deal when daniel jones refused to throw a pass after being pressured a bunch in a game, audibled out to a run play, then ignored his coach yelling at him for it when he went to the sidelines. and he just signed a 40m/year contract

18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Nah, see Aaron Rodgers is clouding your mind a little bit. Rodgers comments on every fucking thing, the guy is an attention whore.

But in general, you don't want your team's QB responding to every, or any, headline during the week. Wilson is doing what he should be doing and what 99.999% of other QBs do, ignore the newspaper clippings and focus on the game

19. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Nobody "denied" it in the sense that it's impossible. the denial was basically I don't know every conversation everyone has but I've never heard it. it's like if I said browning said X and you say well i never heard him say it but I can't say he never said it to anyone else. Rodgers did say that she has no idea of anything that him and zach ever talked about because he hasn't told her shit and also earlier this year called her out along with that other reporter with the "lose my number" and said "he's his own source and if he has something to say he'll do it himself and not go to reporters"

the problem is it's something that can't be proven either way. it's all heresay until someone confirms it but nobody can say for sure zach 100% never said it. all they can say is he never said it to me. rodgers hs been pissed at her since the "wish list" where he said it never happened and she made it sound like he demanded and walked in with a list of people and said sign these guys or i'm not playing here. and he said flat out that never happened.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DynastyFF/...a_russini_im_not_sure_if_dalvin_cook_and_the/ here is one of her saying dalvin doesn't know his role yet from all his interviews after that proved she was blowing smoke

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news...boys-at-giants-week-1-contract-schedule-rumor here is one of barkley calling her a liar. as we all know he signed is tag and played week 1

https://www.reddit.com/r/Commanders/comments/3j0ud4/three_different_sources_refute_dianna_russinis/ old but one where she made up shit about RG3

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/21xo6i/dianna_russini_reporting_that_browns_and_49ers/ old aagin from 10 years ago but you can see in the comments how her credibility is

https://thesportsrush.com/nfl-news-...dgers-who-called-her-out-on-wishlist-debacle/ here is where she backtracked the original rodgers report and said "we never reported that" even though she did. same as she's doing now. spark a controversy by twisting words, but word it in a way to give you deniability. thats why she won't outright report things

https://awfulannouncing.com/nfl/aaron-rodgers-crushes-adam-schefter-diana-russini.html here is the lose my number i'll speak for myself form march if you didn't believe me

there are much more out there if you want to google it. we live in the day and age of "clickbait" take any report with a grain of salt and people just want to stir shit up for clicks. i mean shit look how many people here put words in my mouth or twist what I say. the difference is i'm just a random dude on a forum, not a millionaire athlete who's every word will stir up millions of people

same thing with that joe B nonsense with the "are you kidding me" and using that to say saleh doesn't like zach. he went and apologized yesterday and said that he took it out of context and saleh meant it towards him because he's been asking for zach to be benched all year. which most of us here guessed was the context

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I dont think Zach Wilson loves the game of football like a NFL player should (or needs to) to be successful.

If the game is not for him, that's fine he's young and can find success elsewhere but 2 years in a row now there has been a meltdown and we've had people questioning his desire. This half-assed stuff needs to end, go all in or leave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.