Rookie Clemens emerges in Jets' QB battle

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by hydro51, Jun 18, 2006.

1. BIG COUNTRY

BIG COUNTRY Well-Known Member

I am amazed by it, Ive called a few players busts and Ive failed, when I fail I own up to it, its no big deal. Vilma was good he should be happy he was wrong when he said Vilma was a bust instead of blasting him for being ROY and a pro-bowler this past year. I called Eli a bust and I think I could be wrong, if I am then no big deal. Face it champ, Vilma=Our best draft choice in a very long time

2. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Hell you'd think if you thought a player the Jets took would be a bust you'd be thrilled to be proven wrong.

As far as Vilma goes, he's the last thing I'm worried about. He'll be a playmaker in whatever system he's put into. Tedy Bruschi's only 6'1 and 245. But he's had big dudes like Ted Johnson in the middle with him taking on some of the blocks. With Kassell and Schlegal and all the other LB's we have I think it'll be a similar situation. At least I hope.

3. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

Don't get all worked up about this, nobody is gaining or losing a starting job in "non-contact" offseason minicamps.

I would be pissed if Clemens starts this season. We can paint him with sunshine and rainbows all we want but the fact of the matter is that he wasn't that great in the PAC 10. I highly doubt that he can make that jump to being an NFL starter in one season, and trying to force that jump upon him when we have two competent QBs on the roster would be a grave mistake and could preclude Clemens from any future success.

4. Bill Parcells

Bill Parcells New Member

if you remember 1997 and 1998..the jets brought in pepper johnson and bryan cox..to take on lineman so marvin jones could run to the ball..I dont know who is going to be the new cox and johnson..but I wouldn't worry about vilma..I think he will be even better..

5. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

[​IMG]
    BILL PARCELLS?! Holy Cr*p, time to rev up the Dump Truck and plow him over. Whoops! I don't think my warning beepers are working. Forward, reverse, forward, reverse - I do believe I've forgotten my fudge. Hehehe.

6. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

Prepare to be pissed then...he will start this year. And he WAS great in college.

7. Chrebet86

Chrebet86 Active Member

im glad that clemens has even been mentioned as being a starter, that says somethin about him, but chill out, go ahead and make predictions if you want to, clemens will not start his rookie year, maybe after a few games if were really bad he could see playing time, but its just destructive to a career, most of the time. if it happens fine, but put away the story books we all know who will be leading the charge out of the tunnel. #10

8. Vic

Vic Member

I think Clemens will be our starter eventually. But even if he outperforms everyone in TC, I highly doubt the coaching staff will start him.

9. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

The sands of time will prove you incorrect. Just wait & see. Also. JV WAS NOT elected to the pro bowl this year he was a replacement for Zach when Zach backed out

10. championjets69

I have not changed the quote from Coker nor taken it back. Just cause you did not hear it does not make it true. Write Coker a letter & see if he confirms the remark he made on WQAM. My suggestion to you is reach out beyond NY to see what is going on the world. You to get classified with my SLW rating so congrats on making it. From now on I will use the US Army KISS program on you.

11. championjets69

Just plain rationalization on your part to wash away JV failure to be elected to the pro bowl.

Tough question about players playing for the NYJs after the 60s but just look we have not won a championship since then which means we have NOT have the players that they had in the 60s. Common sense tells you that

12. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

do you guys think he will start at all for the Jets this year?

13. jetman8094

jetman8094 New Member

Good read and I would take Brooks over Ramsey

14. DaBallhawk

DaBallhawk Well-Known Member

Pennington isnt healthy yet and Ramsey just plain sucks. So yeah, i think Clemens could be our starting QB in week 1. He probably wouldnt start under a coach like Herm Edwards but those times are gone for good. Thank god.

15. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

If we are not a playoff team yet and if he is clearly the best option at QB and if he is the future at QB then he will get starts.
    Might as well get him some real NFL game experience.
    Besides, he may just surprise some people and actually play well and win some games.

16. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

No, I think that Ramsey will be sharper by training camp and win the starting job.

He's not going to start over two NFL veterans, even if he out performs them in camp. I can potentially see him on the field in the last few weeks of the season if we have another dismal year, but he will not start out of the gate.

And I guess that we have a different definition of the word "great." Matt Leinart was great in college. Vince Young was great in college. Clemens never passed for more than 2,500 yards. Leinart averaged 3,564 yards in his 3 years. Plus, Clemens didn't exactly lead the Ducks to a lot of wins on the field.

I hope that he pans out as much as everybody else and he does have the tools to be a successful player (though he didn't really show his supposed arm strength in college) but to try to paint him as a college superstar is absurd.

17. Coach K

Coach K New Member

no way a rookie qb starts on a team with the youngest staff and FO. that would spell disaster, especially for someone who isnt open to the media.(mangini) he would just be blasted and ripped apart until woody believed he made a mistake.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Vilma's 6'0", 230. That's a big difference than 6'1", 245.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The only way that Clemens starts out of camp is if he just blows away the Jets and nobody else looks like they're worth playing.

During the season he could get a chance to start if Ramsey turns into a failed gamble and Chad is not ready to go or reinjured.

Other than that I see no way that Clemens winds up starting this year. He's not going to narrowly win a QB competition and get thrown to the wolves. As others have pointed out the quickest way for Mangini to get in trouble is for him to go with Clemens early and have Clemens fail.

20. ButtleMan

ButtleMan New Member

Thats exactly a reason to start a rookie QB. He has no preconceived notions on how a pro offense should be run or bad habits tought to him by previous coaching staffs.
    Mangini can mold him to be the succesful QB that he wants and teach him what he needs and grow with him as well.
    The more starts/play time that Clemens gets this year will only help him and the Jets for the future.