Rhodes a better tackler than Leonard !?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dcm1602, Mar 21, 2010.

1. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Rhodes has always been a superior talent to Leonhard. His got more physical ability. I didnt like seeing Rhodes get traded but it seems like it was what was best for the team.

2. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

I like that site quite a bit. It has some merit and anyone saying it is retarded is about the same as saying that the site is gospel They attempt to put into numbers plays and players that are not easily quantifiable. Everything I read that site or the people that run it work their asses off to try and get stuff correct. Sometimes they do sometimes they do not. This isn't the fucking bleacher report.

A couple of things, one the Jets defense got better statistically without Jenkins. No one can tell me that Pouha is better than Jenkins. However, the defense did get better and that is reflected in Pouha's numbers.

Second, the Harris thing is nuts. However, maybe their reviewer saw something they didn't like, Harris's numbers are strictly based off of poor run stopping in their eyes. I have no explanation.

That site is very useful as far as using as a quick guide/tool to gauge a player. It should not be used as gospel. However, it does help spot trends at least in my opinion.

3. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

How can you trust that the site is right about anything if it has so many glaring stupidities? It took me about 3 minutes to find the list I posted. I'm sure I could find a boat load more if I cared to. But I don't, as far as I'm concerned the site is garbage.

4. WhiteShoeWillis

And how does that explain Richardson being the 29th ranked FB in the league or Rhodes being the #2 safety in the league?

5. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Wasn't supposed to explain everything. If this bothers you that much you could just write them a curt email.

6. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

sherri hits like a sissy/thread

7. WhiteShoeWillis

Why should I? I just ignore there site and point out to anyone who cares to use it as a reference that it's garbage.

8. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

The players you listed are listed by a lot of people and well known. It is the same as people using the Probowl as some sort of guide as to who is a good player or not. You don't like it fine but it is never the less a decent site.

9. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

leonard had a broken thumb for half a season

10. vinnumber13

vinnumber13 New Member

i call bullshit, that is all

11. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Im pretty sure you are misinterpreting the stats. They dont say Asomugha is the 17th best CB in the nfl. They list statistics that you can sort by any variety of categories. For instance 75% of passes thrown to the WR that Asomugha was covering were completed. Wow thats a staggeringly high number and one of the worst in the nfl. However if you next look @ yards allowed by CBs, Asomugah only allowed 200 something which is one of the best.

The site just gives you data and what you take from it is entirely up to you. If you looked at it and somehow got that Asomugha is the 17th best CB ini the league, then the sites probably not for you.

12. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

+1. You really need to look at all of the stats. Their formula is a little skewed as far as the ranking goes but the component stats are worth considering.

13. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Although some of the stats are really screwy.

They have TRich as one of the worst blocking FBs in the nfl somehow.

14. WhiteShoeWillis

I am looking at the default order which PFF describes as the "overall" or cumulative rating for each position. So yea, I would take an overall ranking as who they see as the best at each position.

Consider the fact that you started this thread based on the fact that PFF thinks Kerry Rhodes is a better tackler than Jim Leonhard, and get back to me on how accurate they are.

Garbage.

15. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

But they dont rank players. They simply give statistics. These are data guys, effectively accountants. They compile data and you can analyze it any which way. And as far as "stats" are concerned, defensive players will usually get screwed because their impact is significantly harder to quantify. Same goes with blockers.

16. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

White DBs ftw!!!

17. WhiteShoeWillis

What is the purpose of the "cumulative rating" that is the default sort order?

18. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

The only thing that Rhodes did really really well was TWITTER! I am sooooooo glad he is gone-------I will take a guy with less talent but heart, a guy who gives it his all every play over a guy who "when he wants to " blah blah blah--anyone who is still on the fence about Rhodes go watch Mercedes Lewis game winning TD catch over his blown coverage--or how about the Colts TD in the playoffs just before halftime? Maybe someone can post either of those videos so I can puke again!!---goodbye Kerry best of luck with the Cards!

19. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Theyre ranked on accumulated stats, not skill. Guys with the best overall stats go the highest.

20. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Stats lie. If you look at Jeter's stats and A-Rod stats Jeets is not in the same league but anyone who watches the Yanks everyday knows who's better. My point is, stats don't tell the whole story. We improved tremondously against the run when Smith replaced Rhodes, I don't need know numbers to back that up. Problem is, Smith is a step slow and can't cover the fast TE's. Teams like the Colts will eat us up, that's why need to find a safety who can cover.