Rex Ryan mandates changes to Jets offense

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FinNasty, Sep 14, 2010.

1. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Probably, but I'll say it again, let nacho call his own plays

2. Pete Carroll

Pete Carroll New Member

Did Sarkisian let him do so @ SC?

3. dstewstar

dstewstar Member

Thank You. Someone not panicking because of one loss. You do not dial back you expand this offense. Sanchez was a top ten pick. He needs to be utilized and spread the ball to the weapons we have on this team. Right now the excessive check downs will not work. Defenses will shrink the field and smother the offense.

Every good quarterback will throw interceptions when attempting to make plays. If you have Sanchez too scared to make a turnover you stunt his growth as our signal caller.
    It would be a big mistake if you buy into this simplify the offense game; this will lead to being inefficient on offense. Stretch the field and get the opposing defenses playing honest and they will have to cover the whole field.

What would Joe Willie Namath think? I bet he was not scared to throw the ball. Who were the quarterbacks for the last few Superbowl winners...were they hesitant to make plays down the field. If we say we want our beloved Jets to make it to the Superbowl then we should use Monday nights game as a blueprint on how not to win a championship. Please Rex take chances on winning!

4. The Sanchise

The Sanchise Active Member

Why would a regime draft a guy 5 overall and then emphasize "Ground and pound"?

It is senseless. They're ruining Sanchez just like Cleveland ruined Brady Quinn.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's not senseless at all. It's the compromise between developing a young QB and trying to get to the playoffs. If the Jets just let Sanchez do what young QB's do they'd have gone 7-9 last season and they'd be headed for 8-8 this year. They're trying to do both things at once, develop Sanchez and maybe luck into a trophy.

I'll admit it kind of feels like having your cake and eating it too but I'm willing to sit there and watch them try it because I think there's a chance it works out.

The Giants just let Eli loose when they finally installed him and he went 20-19 in his first 39 starts. Then they got to a Super Bowl and found out they had a pretty clutch guy there with 4 years under his belt. If the Jets go 20-19 in Sanchez first 39 starts the media and fans will be trying to run him out of town. That just the screwed up expectations game at work.

The Giants, BTW, went 0-6 in Eli's first 6 starts. Can you imagine what would have happened to Sanchez and the Jets if that happened to us?

#105 Br4d, Sep 15, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  6. dstewstar

dstewstar Member

Eli's team was not near as good as the Jets were in Sanchez's first year. So I would not agree with that analogy.

7. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

That's exactly his point.

8. Br4d

Are you kidding? They had a dominant pass rush and they won 5 of their first 7 games that year with Kurt Warner at QB. Then Strahan got hurt and they pulled the plug on the season and put Eli in.

If Warner starts the whole season and Strahan doesn't get hurt the Giants probably win 10 games that year. They punted on the season at 5-4, or a game better than the Jets were at the same point last year. The Jets answer at 4-5 was to simplify and go ground and pound and it worked. The Giants answer was to throw up their hands and put the guy everybody knew was going to be their 10 year QB in the mix even though it was going to destroy the season.

Everybody talks about that season as though Tom Coughlin just totally blew it and the Giants collapsed. The fact is that Strahan got hurt and Coughlin fell on the sword and put his young QB in to take his lumps, knowing that it was going to cost the Giants a few games at least in the process.

If it comes down to that developing Sanchez successfully is just as important to the Jets as making the playoffs this year. They're trying to cut the middle and do both things.

#108 Br4d, Sep 15, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  9. The Uniform Bomber

I don't think the Giants were built to contend the way the Jets are. In fact, the whole reason they've shackled Sanchez is because we're built to make a SB run; so they want to avoid all of the mishaps that inexperienced QBs make -- if they allowed Sanchez to piss games away, then he'd get crucified because the team is ready to win now.

10. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Great stategy - do not let the QB piss games away, Let the coaching staff piss the games instead.

11. dstewstar

dstewstar Member

Continue the ground and pound and hamper Sanchez with check downs and we will keep games close and finish 8-8 or 9-7. I just hope we did not make all these moves on the offense to be mediocre. Let the quarterback takes some chances down the field. The Mannings are both Superbowl winning quarterbacks because they were allowed to take their lumps and interceptions early in their career and learn. So we will see what happens. We were lucky to get into the playoffs with a 9-7 record last year.

12. Br4d

I'd rather see the Jets let Sanchez loose and go 8-8 than keep things close to the vest and go 9-7. I have the feeling it's more like 7-9 vs 10-6 though unless something dramatic changes in the way they are developing him.

I've had this feeling since midway last season that Schotty' offense is just too complicated for a young QB to run. Chad figured it out but was clearly hampered in the process, given his low competion percentage (for him) and QB rating.

I think Kellen Clemens may literally have been blown out of the water by the system before he ever really got his feet on the ground. His one really promising game, against the Ravens of all people, in early 2007 happened because the Jets were in trouble in the game, down 17-3 at half time and they let him really air it out in the second half and he almost brought them back. He went 26-13-192-1-0. In a single half of football. Then Mangini put Chad back in and by the time Clemens got back into a game the season was basically over and he was running Schotty's system and he sucked.

13. The Uniform Bomber

It's not my strategy.

14. VinnyT

VinnyT New Member

Agreed with just about everything.

What I'd like to see them do is take the mentality that the team has on defense, which is that they're just going to line up across from you and hit you with everything they've got and apply that to the offense. It doesn't necessarily have to be in the form of "ground and pound" (not that I don't mind that type of football, because I love it), but maybe instill that kind of confidence in Sanchez and let him go out and try to make some plays. This defense already proved on Monday Night it can keep the team in the game right to the very end when the offense does absolutely nothing, so it's not a stretch to think that they could keep the team in the game if Sanchez makes a mistake here and there while trying to stretch the field.

The Jets and Ravens are two teams that are very uniquely built, and we've seen the Ravens take advantage of that so far this season while the Jets have not. The Ravens can be very much a ground and pound team if they want to be, and they can just ram Ray Rice, Willis McGahee, and McLain up the gut every play if they chose to do so and probably win that way. But they're also built to be a team that can air it out when they want/need to. The Jets offense, at least in the personnel department, is built very much the same way, and the team should be taking advantage of it. If the running game isn't working (which it wasn't on Monday Night, with the exception of a couple of runs by Tomlinson), then let Sanchez air it out to the weapons they've given him this season. Granted, that will be more possible when Holmes returns after his suspension, but they should still be able to stretch the field against a suspect secondary like the Ravens' much moreso than they did on Monday Night.

15. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Schottenheimer looks like a less retarded Josh McDaniels.

16. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Considering how much swagger/bravado comes from Ryan & the defense ... this offense is just so timid. There's such a huge disconnect from Ryan's attitude personality & how this offense is run.

Even if the Jets offense is ground & pound, you've got to throw it enough to prevent defense from stacking the box & just sitting on your runs. Even if the long passes aren't caught, it'll help make sure that opposing defenses will play more honestly.

17. Br4d

At this point it would be nice to have somebody who has actually run a successful NFL offense calling the plays as we try to develop a young QB. I don't think Schotty has proven anything at all yet and I think we're getting really screwed by the combination of a young QB and an unaccomplished offensive coordinator.

You bring a guy in who has a different mindset about how to run an offense and we might even find that we have two good young QB's on the roster already.

18. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Good Point. I would also like to see an experienced OC that has achieved some success somewhere else. Doesn't have to be an offensive genius like Mike Martz but anyone who has shown the ability to put together an offense which can succeed.

I'd think there would be offensive minds lining up to be Jets OC. If the Jets OC turns the offense into something good, you know the coordinator will reserve major credit & surely have head coaching opportunities in the future.

19. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

We had a chance for Mike Martz.

I don't care how much Ego he has, the way Rex is Hands off on the Offense he woulda fit fine!

I've watched the game a few more times and each time I get angrier at the sheer idiocy of Shotty's game mgmt.

20. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

Rex Ryan should tell his players that we were a half away from the Super Bowl last January, but we won't be getting back their by sleepwalking.