Rex Ryan allegedly says he would welcome firing if Woody doesnt invest in changes.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NFL, Dec 28, 2012.

1. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

So why not a quite simple cut/paste of whatever U posted? :sad:

2. ArmandJ

ArmandJ Well-Known Member

I may have said it in another thread, but to me, it was more of Rex Ryan venting . I'm sure when you were in college/working/whatever, and you had a tough time, you just think 'fuck this shit. I just want to leave'. Odds are, you probably stayed right where you were. That's what I think happened with Rex Ryan, and I think the media overblown it to the nth degree.

That being said, he really needs to adopt a 'loose lips, sink ships' philosophy.

3. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

Breaking down press conferences is one of the unique features here on Hyde Sports. With a background in criminal justice, interview & interrogation, and body language/ micro-expression analysis, I have dealt first hand with nearly every type of liar. While in the past this has been done with criminal suspects and politicians (go figure), I feel the same skill set is valuable in reviewing ‘Sports Speak’. Coaches, owners, general managers, agents, and players all work the media. Often times, what they say ends up not being the truth. So here at Hyde Sports, I will break down press conference/ statement videos and offer my analysis. It is important to note, all my analysis is opinion and is for entertainment purposes only.

In this review, I am analyzing the Rex Ryan’s, ‘This is My Team’ video from his 12/28/12 press conference. A report came out shortly prior to this conference that Ryan stated he wanted out if Jets ownership was not prepared to spend freely to help fix the teams weaknesses. This was his reply:

http://www.newyorkjets.com/photos-a...-My-Team/b13e25c8-dcfb-44c8-8d96-bca816ce26f2

Timeline Analysis:

0.13 – Ryan looks down and to his right after his opening. He does this sometimes to segue into a new topic or to review his [mental] notes. In this specific instance, it appears he is attending to internal emotions [likely in regard to the subject of the press conference], and offers a half smile showing signs of contempt. When he mentions the report specifically, he opens his arms while mentioning he ‘doesn’t always agree’. This is true, and it seems he is uncomfortable with the fact that this became a story and he has to now address it.

0.26 – ‘Untrue’ – when he regards this specifically, he releases a small, quick shrug of his shoulders showing uncertainty. He then rubs his nose (the only time he does this), signaling a direct lie. He then sniffs (again, not a common trend during the conference eliminating sickness or temperature as a cause), reflecting his disgust with the topic. He clearly did not want this released, but now has to deal with it.

0.40 – He now is making eye contact and places his hand over his chest for emphasis. This is the ‘Honest Abe’, and is meant to instill confidence and truth to his words.

0.46 – His blink rate is now increased, unlike any other time during the conference. He is feeling stressed while directly talking about the Jets being the only team he wants to coach.

1.04 – He shifts to referencing a state of implausible grandeur in regard to other players. He gaze shifts up and to the side as he is creating the imaginative construct. This part is true.

1.50 – He shifts his speech style to emphasize the word, ‘everyday’, in regard to wearing Jet’s stuff. This is to connect himself to the audience.

2:03 – He now is in his comfort zone and becomes relaxed.

Results: Rex Ryan is a skilled communicator. He knows how to work a group, and attempts to solidify points of emphasis with inviting body language that covertly instills truth, confidence, and likeability. He does want to continue to coach the New York Jets. However, I think it is more the fact he just wants to coach [period], and the Jets are the team he is currently with. The report the conference is referencing is absolutely true. Ryan did say those things, though likely out of frustration. So, this conference is about damage control. It does more harm to his brand if he forces his way out of New York. Ownership will do what they want, so for the moment, Rex is playing along. The feelings are definitely there, however, so this is a storyline worth monitoring.

4. RobertTheJr

RobertTheJr Member

Any chance his nose simply itched?

5. The_Darksider

lol Of course. But I posted it as a request. A skilled interrogator seems to feel it wasn't said in seriousness but that it was said. What more do you want?

I don't care whether he said it or not, my point is that he's got a loose mouth and doesn't know when to shut up. Never has during his career with the Jets.

6. AlToon

AlToon Member

A Ryan shame: Everybody is wondering whether the Jets will keep Rex Ryan. Let's look at it from the other perspective: Does Ryan want the Jets? Being the head of the Jets won't get easier, it will get tougher. Consider:

Ryan has no quarterback. His best player, Darrelle Revis, is coming off a major injury and will be seeking a monster contract. The salary-cap situation is tight. He may have a new GM. His right-hand man on defense, Mike Pettine, is a free agent and could walk. He probably will be in the market for a new offensive coordinator, but it'll be tough to attract a top candidate because of his own contract situation.

Ryan has two years left on his deal, meaning next year is make or break. If they don't make the playoffs next year, he's gone. It's a difficult situation, which, of course, he helped create. Some people who know Ryan think he'd be better off getting fired, taking home his $6 million, getting a TV job for a year and resurfacing in 2014.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/19288/sunday-notes-rexs-bleak-future

Sums it up.

7. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Thank U for posting that & I am firm believer in body language & direct eye contact as well as crossing your hands in front of U which means U R tuning out the person speaking. I appreciate U taking the time to post what U posted :sad:

8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Only liars have itchy noses! Never seen Pinocchio?

Has Manish responded to Ryan's denial?

9. Jon_Snow

Jon_Snow New Member

It only confirms what I already thought. When public figures vehemently deny something it's almost always is a lie. The alleged comment sounds exactly what Rex would say. When it first broke no one here found it implausible we merely debated the merits of the commits.

Rex is a buffoon who constantly retreating to deny or do damage control.

10. Ben Had

Ben Had Active Member

WOW...you just cant make this shit up...only on TGG:up:

11. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Kind of reminds me about the Herm Edwards stuff, how there were always the odd rumors he wanted out for years but it got glossed over till he had a bad season and the Jets were willing to accomodate him.

12. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

13. HydeSports

HydeSports New Member

I'll be doing these for a multitude of interviews/ pressers going forward. If you all need one in particular, just drop me a line and let me know. I'll post the results here.

14. HydeSports

HydeSports New Member

It wasn't just the nose scratch. It was in conjunction with other tells - posture, nasal drainage, downtick of the mouth, the change in speech. Individually, yes, it could be anything. Combined, it offers a more detailed picture.

15. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

I'm sure some Tebow interviews would offer some good body language interpretations. The guy definitely is not saying how he truly feels

16. Barcs

Barcs Banned

People are still buying into this crap as if it has any merit. According to sources. Sure thing. Either somebody's purposely feeding him false info or he's making it up. Anything for a story these days.

17. The_Darksider

It's got a lot of merit. You are just a complete Rex apologist and can't see anything bad in the guy.

18. 74

74 Well-Known Member

You sound like an idiot.

Very cool. Thanks again guy.

#258 74, Dec 29, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  19. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

Rex clearly lied during the press conference. However, what he did say in private is the truth. He really has no chance at being successful in 2013 because of the cap situation and too many holes to fill on offense. It's best for him to get canned now while he still has a decent resume. It could get real ugly for him next season, especially if Woody doesn't want to eat the Sanchez contract. A lot of our fans are denial about next season. We have no money to spend. Hello? We have no money to spend. Hello??