Rex overrated... defense has been worse every year he was here

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsFan, Dec 20, 2013.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

you have me confused w/ someone else about stats but teams tried to run on us and failed.

Our D has the makings of a truly dominant unit w/ this DL, if can add talent to the back end we can be a big time D.

2. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

sort of like my previous post. the points you score and give up will determine how many games you win or lose. the rest of the stats ( top, yards, downs, etc. ) just bull.

3. mr nyjet

we are not the only team in the draft. so, if add to the back end, what about adding to the offense? depth?

the teams we play also get to add players. you can't afford to miss. we miss too much compared to ravens, steelers, pats, etc.

re-watch last thanksgiving game on national tv and tell me we just need to add to the secondary. we have a $12 million cap hit playing ilb ( harris). is that a good move? he was out to lunch on the screen pass that panthers took to the house, along with milner and reed. at least milner had the rookie excuse. the other two do not.

on offense, even brick and mangold , as well as colon, have sucked at times on pass protection. smith/McElroy/simms may have excuse as inexperienced. but those three do not.

bottom line, you are optimist.

#63 mr nyjet, Dec 20, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  4. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Dude, our rushing D went from like 24th to 2nd this year. If that's not a huge improvement, I don't know what is. You are looking at things too black and white, rather than analyzing the circumstances individually. Can you really blame Rex for the secondary issues? We lost 2 pro bowlers from the secondary in the last off season. The D is overachieving this year with holes at safety, LB AND CB. We're also in a transitional period from old to young in many key positions. You really think Rex is the one who decided to trade Revis? He would have never in a million years agreed to that if he was in charge. Without Rex on this team, we have at least 2 additional losses, maybe more. I also do not see us making the playoffs once in the past 5 years, nor the AFC title games without him. He's been making the team over achieve for years, with no depth and very few offensive playmakers. Anyone who can get Mark Sanchez, a bottom of the league QB, to back to back AFC title games deserves a medal of honor. The Jets just need to find a franchise QB. Those guys make every coach look like a genius.

#64 Barcs, Dec 20, 2013
  5. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Revis played in 1.5 games last year. With a better HC the team might have 2 more wins. With a worse HC they might have 2 more losses. The real argument for keeping Rex is what is the likelihood of Jets upper management actually executing a successful HC hire.

My own opinion is while Rex is highly over rated the Jets aren't capable of getting anyone better. In a word it doesn't matter if they keep him or fire him. The real question is not how good or how bad Rex is, it's how good or bad Idzik is. If he's really good Rex should be fired. If he isn't might as well keep him.

#65 Biggs, Dec 20, 2013
  6. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

No it definitely isn't. Our D-line is better but overall this is a fairly mediocre unit.

We are one of the worse teams against the pass in the NFL and we don't have any ability to cause turnovers. Our D-Line is definitely better but that secondary makes us average overall.

7. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

We have seven new starters, you expect them to just gel and play great from the start?

8. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Who are the 7 new starters and who did they replace?

9. mr nyjet

coming off a bye, they got torched by the bills. that was much later in the season than the first time we played them. fins took them apart at home in first game, so did the steelers earlier at home.

i watched McElroy torch the defense in cortland scrimmage, and saw a repeat against the bengals later after he was cut , in favor of Brady Quinn? you know, the guy who sat behind tebow in Denver!

front four are good, but the other 7 are mediocre at best. not exactly a sign of defensive genius.

10. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

Rex just gotta learn that theres no such thing as "Cromartie Island" ... remember this his first year back to callin the plays on defense since revis left.. Rex played part in Cro's downfall.. expected way too much and last year he wasnt used that way.. He really needs to put those safeties on top of the corners a little more i know he likes to man up and blitz heavy but he cant and its killing our passing yard allowed per game..

11. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

With the development of the Sons, Coples at OLB, Demario Davis at ILB, plus the return of Antwan Barnes our front 7 will be good enough next season so Rex won't have to blitz Safties and Dbs to get pressure and/or stop the run.

We need new players in the secondary, but when we get them they can focus on covering receivers and not supporting the LOS.

12. JetLifeLo

Yess cant wait to see Barnes back out there even though Calvin Pace ballin right now! I say bring in someone for Landry, keep AA in there and a solid CB and were set as far as defense.. and a few young guys for OLB depth in the draft

13. Richardson(Devito)
    Harrison(Pouha)
    Davis(Scott)
    Milliner(Revis)
    Coples/Barnes/Mcintyre(Thomas)
    Landry(Landry)
    Allen/Reed(Bell)

14. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

A true powerhouse defense takes over games and makes plays when it's crunch time. I've never seen this out of our defense

We break down towards the end of games and also down the stretch of the season.
    This is the problem that worries me the most about REX,his defenses don't dominate, im sorry.

15. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

I agree.. there a piece away from being a powerhouse... but you can't discount how awful the offense is and how many plays there on the field. every defense is going to break down when 9/10 there jets are 3 and out or have a turnover immediately. Not possible for them to remain fresh

16. JetLifeLo

In many years under Rex ive seen it.. and this year ive seen it against the Saints

17. Mitch_Dumstein

Great posts

The Jets made some nice positive strides in a season that all of us knew was a rebuild

1 Won six, probably seven, maybe even eight with all the experts predicting three at best

2 John Idzik cleaned up the salary cap mess and treated draft picks as precious assets...40+ mill under the cap and 11-12 draft picks going into the offseason

3 The first four draft picks all became full time starters

4 We got Sanchez off the field and probably off the team in 14

5 Mornhenwig, Thurman and Kotwica all did a nice job as new coordinators and with Rex and all of them back, a strong foundation for success will continue

Of course a lot of work and improvement remains to be done. But with coaching and management continuity, the pieces are in place to build on 2013 and get the Jets back to strong postseason competition

18. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Wake up and get your lips off Rex's ass. Three of your comments are hard to read without laughing. Forget that statement, I am laughing at you.

1. Half you people were saying we were playoff bound in week one, and the pros were picking us to win 6-7 games. What is this 3 game crap your are talking about? You have no clue about football.

3. If you call three of the four picks great and all of whom had been benched this year on multiple times and are only starters because Rex has assembled such a shitty team and so many of his previous picks sucked even worse a success, then you must be a moron.

4. Sanchez was looking pretty good in the new offense, and way better than Geno will ever be, not to mention paying a guy $8M to sit on his ASS when he would have won us more games a plus, just proves the prior two comments I made about you.

19. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

The same people that worship Sanchez even though he is garbage will be the same ones that worship Rex. Rex could go 0-16 next year and the same fans would want him back most likely. Its sad that a certain group of fans are just scared of change....

#79 94Abraham, Dec 20, 2013
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

This is a very good point, and one I hadn't seen or thought of myself. If Idzik isn't very good and not likely to make a good hire, then it would just return the Jets to the status quo from much of their history. I don't think anyone wants that.