Revis wants 20+ mills per season (M. Lombardi)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, May 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

That's bullshit.

EVERY play (well, 95%) goes through Sanchez's hands.

In how many plays (even the ones when teams aren't throing to his side because of him) is he involved?

Put Clemens or Ainge in place of Sanchez... we're fucked.

Make Wilson and Cromartie start instead of Revis and Cromartie. Are we less talented? Hell yea! But does that mean we'll concede 20 more points per game? Don't think so...

2. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Thats not really a good comparison... at all (revis is FAR more important to the defense than Sanchez is to a run first team)

But nevertheless 20 million a year average blows any contract in nfl history away.

Peyton Manning IS the colts offense, and his contracts never looked remotely close to averaging 20 million a year. Other elite defensive players are making half or less than half what revis would make.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_sports_contracts

Look at the largest sports contract in sports history. Revis is asking for amounts that would completely eclipse anyone in the nfl by a long long shot.

Im seeing the highest nfl contracts coming out to like 14 million a year tops avg.

3. ShAuN JoHN 9294

ShAuN JoHN 9294 New Member

If we give Revis a crazy contract because he is the best at what he does, then I'd expect Mangold and everyone else to follow suit. Its not about just Revis, its about whats best for the team and the franchise. This will have huge impact on the team as a whole. I'm not saying do not give him a extension but Mr.T has to put on his salesman hat and sell the shit out of his agent and Revis why $20M+ is crazy.

4. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Saying you won't go higher than 15 mill is penny pinching to you? Wow, you might have a hell of a job :p.

I'm not saying you have to TELL him that... I know this is the beginning of a negotiation and $$$ are a bit out of the actual range. What I'm hoping is that Tanny has drawn a line of how high he is willing to go and that line isn't above 15 mill. But he doesn't need to communicate that, he could (And should and will) keep it to himself.

PS I think for that kind of money you could find someone a little better than Poteat... ;)

5. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I agree... sure the fact he is the best at his position has to be counted in the negotiation... but you also have to consider what his position is!!!

CBs shouldn't get that kind of money because they can't do it all by themselves... not even Revis!

Sure he gives us the option to rush the passer with one extra man but if he gets that kind of money who do we rush the passer with?

6. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Revis takes out the opponent's biggest threat.....not once in awhile......EVERY WEEK. What other CB in the league does that? Aso only plays one side of the field...and Revis moves around.

Sanchez is vital to the offense....as Revis is to Rex's scheme. He was shutting down elite wideouts (one on one) with basically NO pass rush.

But let's let him walk...or better..let's trade him to the Skins for Portis... :rolleyes:

7. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

So you want to pay him 3 times as much as the guys he shuts down ?

8. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

I hate to add to this shitstorm of a thread, but have you guys seen baseball salaries?? I know this is 53 guys as opposed to 25, but without a salary cap football is going in the same direction as baseball. If Asomugha makes 15 million per, is what Revis is seeking that unreasonable? I know it sounds nuts, but he may be worth high teens, if not 20. Especially without a cap. It's damn near impossible to find a CB that's as good as him. We're just spoiled bastards.lol

9. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

C'mon I'm not saying let him walk!!! I'm saying, "sure he takes down 1 threat, the biggest one" but, as the Colts proved, there are 3 or 4 more threats... how do we block those if we don't have the money to pay other talented players?

And of course no way you let him walk... you trade him for at least 2 1st rounders... but again I REALLY hope we don't come to that because I love him as a player...

10. The Lord

The Lord Active Member

Trade him for a young All-Pro D-Lineman and a young All-Pro O-Lineman who we wouldn't have to pay for a little while.

/sarcasm

11. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I find it hard to believe the Cap is gone completely.

If there is no cap, then fine. But I just hope it is not a contract that hamstrings any other moves in the future.

I can see him getting the money, if Haynesworth can get 100mil. then Revis gets at least that.

12. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Asomugha makes that kind of money because he is the only elite player in that team and the only reason to stay in oakland is money.

13. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

hahaha..you guys are fuckin' hilarious. You're worried about money that's not even yours to begin with.

Unless there's a cap that could cause problems for other player's who need contracts...what the fuck do you care what Revis is paid? Just be glad he's wearing Green/White.

I want that guy shutting down wideouts in NY for the duration of his career.....Woody can afford it....and I"m sure Tanny can work his cap magic to make sure it gets done.

Some of you need to pop a couple Frescas and take a break.

14. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

He's going to get his money.....whether you like it or not.

My opinion is....he's worth every dime...and has EARNED every dime.

He's not going to get a contract where the Jets will have to ostracize the rest of their roster......that would be stupid business....plus, I don't believe Revis will put the team in a position where they would have to release other elite players. So quit trying to paint that picture.

15. ShAuN JoHN 9294

ShAuN JoHN 9294 New Member

Its not about money that isn't ours, its about being able to resign our own players. If there is no cap ever again, fuck it he can get paid $30M a year for all i care. But there most likely will be and I would like to keep the TEAM TOGETHER versus Revis and Joe Schmoe. Revis getting $20M+ instead of $15M a year cost us an extra core player or possibly 2 depending on the future cap. Revis may be the best Jet ever and we should definitely keep him but NO PLAYER is bigger then the TEAM. We will keep him I'm not worried but at what cost is the question

16. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

see post #34

17. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

I'm just saying...this is Sports world we're talking about here, not real life. You think there's going to be pay cuts across the board in this sport?? Hell, no, especially now there's no cap.
    And, I got news for you guys, once there's no cap, there's never going to be a cap again. Sorry MB, this isn't hockey, this is football and this is the United States, there's too much money made amongst the league and teams and a watching public frothing at the mouth for any kind of NFL football.

18. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

This... all I'm worried about is that giving him that kind of money means we'll have to let a guy like Harris go (not specifically him, it's to make an example)... when "Harris + a top 5 CB" to me is 100 times better than just "Revis".

19. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I would shoot Harris in the face before i'd ever let Revis walk.

And I love Harris as a player.

20. GreenMachine

Says the guy with a soccer avatar...Isn't soccer the sport with the most ridiculous salaries in the world of sports?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.