Revis vs. Colston

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nyjcanada, Sep 27, 2009.

1. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

This matchup is Rex's defense vs. Sean Payton's offense. Plain and simple two of the best in the league at what they do matched up against each other. This one is bigger than Revis v. Colston. This should be fun, and I'm sure a game the rest of the league (especially the coaching nerds) is licking its chops to see. Should be a fuckin' blast to see (especially live:up:)

2. Heavy Metal Thunder

The reason why the Saints are problematic is that even if Revis shuts down Colston... Brees has no problem spreading the ball around to virtually every other player on the Saints offense. This isn't the Texans where if you shut down Andre Johnson, you are in essence shutting down the passing game.

What we should we worrying about is... if Revis shuts down Colston, how will the rest of the secondary handle Devery Henderson, Lance Moore, Robert Meachem, Heath Evans, Jeremy Shockey, and Reggie Bush lining up in the slot.

3. Killeri9590

Killeri9590 Banned

Meachem doesn't scare me at all and Bush is nothing special. Evans is a good fullback but not a guy who will scare a defense by any means.

However, Colston, Henderson, Moore and Shockey are the ones to watch out. Colston will most likely be guarded by Revis but we desperately need Lito and Strickland back for this game.

4. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

How did Colston not get signed by the Jets right in their backyard.

5. MisterBouncyBounce

MisterBouncyBounce New Member

brees has so many targets, they can actually use Colston to take Revis out of the game. in other words use Colston as a decoy all game long to draw revis away from the play. i wouldn't expect much one on one coverage from revis for that very reason, although he's going to have to play him straight up some times regardless.

6. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

I agree, I think that the Jets will try to move Revis all around the field depending on New Orleans' formation to try and shut down the hot read. The Saints have too many weapons and the Jets are too thin at cornerback (especially if Sheppard doesn't return.)

7. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Moore is hurt, hasn't played since week 1.

8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

After covering Johnson and Moss this will seem like a walk in the park for Revis. This matchup is the least of my concerns for this game.

9. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

anyone notice Revis getting beat multiple times in the frist half? Admittedly, they were playing soft AND Collins was really ripping it and Revis was still mere millimeters away, BUT he was still beat - and by a rookie, too.

10. 611LWC

611LWC New Member

I heard that Wayne Chrebet actually told the Jets about this kid and the braintrust passed....

11. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I was shocked Tennessee attacked Revis most of the day and successfully too.

12. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

i didnt know that...

but that said, wasn't Colston selected in the 7th a few picks prior to our selection?

13. brad01

brad01 New Member

I'm not sure if he'll cover Colston. A lot of players say Devery Henderson is the Saints' best WR. Colston is a different animal than Andre Johnson and Randy Moss. He does most of his work between the twenties in the slot and going across the middle. It's not really until the redzone that most of his work is on the outside.

Saints run a lot of WRs in and out though and run a lot of 1 WR packages, so he'll have to watch a lot of film on Colston, Meahem, and Henderson. They're all completely different styles. Big, physical, slot WR. Big, fast, downfield threat that has great YAC. Short, quick, very fast downfield threat.

As far as I can tell, Colston fell in the draft because a lot of scouts had him as a TE because of his size and lack of straight line speed. I think his head coach at Hofstra also talked bad about him. It didn't help that he also played at a small school and missed his entire junior season. He's also not a WR diva, so no one ever hears about him.

14. Breesus

Breesus New Member

To be honest I'm not worried if Colston doesn't even get a catch. That's the great thing about Brees is that any receiver can have a great game any week. And that motivates all the receivers because they know if they are open they will get the ball right on there hands. I wouldn't be surprised if Meachem leads the team in yards this week. Brees is silly accurate and puts the ball in the perfect spot almost every time. In the Dome without having to worry about wind, etc he is like a surgeon when it comes to picking apart defenses. The Jets seem to have one hell of a D, but we also thought that about the Eagles before we hung 48 on them. I think we win this game 31-20 due to dome field advantage. But the one thing I know for certain is that it's going to be a playoff atmosphere in the dome and it's going to fun to watch. May the Jets go 15-1 and meet us in Miami...

BTW how much do Jets fans love Rex Ryan? Great hire!

15. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

It's a tough matchup no matter how you look at it. I appreciate just the fact that it's Monday and I'm already looking forward to this game so much. Really a testament to what Rex Ryan had done to this team.

16. aychichi

aychichi Member

Is it Sunday yet?

17. Tolan

Tolan New Member

Andre Johnson >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Colston

nuff said

18. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

by not giving him time to go thru the progression

19. bigalxc

bigalxc Active Member

pretty much ya. Andre is the best WR on the planet and if Revis can hold him down Colston has no chance

20. mc4saints

mc4saints New Member

"anyone notice Revis getting beat multiple times in the first half? Admittedly, they were playing soft AND Collins was really ripping it and Revis was still mere millimeters away, BUT he was still beat - and by a rookie, too."

^^^This. I realize Revis is great and he scares me but if K. Collins to K. Britt and N. Washington worked some, I feel good about Colston getting a few good chances from Brees.

Also, you guys may get pressure on Brees, but quite a few team for the last 3 years has tried sending 6+ including the Eagles this year and Brees somehow still gets it done.

The teams that have done well in the past against us drop more in coverage and only send 4 and that is just not Rex's style.

I Hope the Saints can squeak it out at home and we all come out of the game Injury free.

Geaux Saints!
    MC