Revis trade thread (Update: Revis to Bucs for '13 1st and cond. '14 4th)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Br4d, Mar 10, 2013.

1. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

So we traded possibly the best CB of all time for a mid 1st round pick (we would've gotten a 3rd in 2014 anyway if he played out this year and walked next year), sounds like highway robbery to me. Idzik better make the best of that #13 overall.

2. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

There's no such thing as fair compensation for a guy who was going to be a free agent next year that could walk with us getting absolutely nothing in return.

3. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

In 2011....

4. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

This sucks ass.
    We lost the best defensive player in the NFL for a 1st and a 4th..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

5. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

No I'm not, I'm evaluating it based on what he got for the best player in franchise history. AGAIN, Idzik still has the future in his hands. w/ or w/o Revis he has a job to turn us into a contender, his job is harder now but he can still do it and do it quickly. I am rooting for him and hoping for the best but his first big move was a failure.

6. Dirty6Sanchez

Dirty6Sanchez Well-Known Member

I understand, but we had little leverage. The Bucs could have just as easily drafted a corner instead. 1st and cond. 4th is NOT a bad haul considering the injury, our inability to re-sign him and CB being a support position instead of a backbone position.

7. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

lol i was totally against the revis trade, but after seeing his deal, this is fucking spectacular

he would of held this franchise hostage for the next 6 years and now hes going to do that with the bucs. and don't you guys remember near january when most of you said we'd be lucky to get a 2nd? yeah well we got a first for a guy that was leaving next year anyways.

and more important than the picks is the fact we dont have to pay him FUCKING 16 MIL PER YEAR

8. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

pretty much no-one is hating on revis - everyone agrees he is a great player but he is a great player that was about to walk in 12 months time - so its either have him for this year (where pretty much no-one expects us to be competitive give our joke of an offense) and then lose him for nothing, or get a 1st & 3rd rounder for him (and it is 99% likely a 3rd rounder unless Revis has a season ending injury - in which case the Bucs got screwed a hundred time worse than we did).

9. nyjunc

2009,. 2010, 2011 and as soon as he his healthy he'll be the best again.

True but we needed to do better than a 1 and 4 or 1 and 3.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The 3rd was in 2015 not 2014 and it was a sandwich pick and it only happened if the Jets lost as many or more net impact free agents than they signed.

Looking at the Jets roster this year it seems like they're not going to lose a lot of impact free agents next year. Most of the old starters were cut or departed this year.

The odds were pretty good the Jets got no compensation for Revis if he walked after 2013 unless they chose also to sign no impact free agents.

11. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

I need to change my fucking name!

12. nyjunc

The Bucs didn't have leverage either, they were DESPERATE to acquire him. Their entire offseason was based on whether they got him or not.

13. Going4TheGreen

Going4TheGreen Well-Known Member

If John Idzik called me and I'm some GM on another team saying 'hey I just got the 13th pick, let's talk about it.' I would say, "call me back when the deal is done, I'm not gonna speculate with you and shoot the breeze, the draft is in 4 days I am formulating my plan."

It's besides the point that he may get more picks. He should have gotten more out of THIS deal because Revis is the asset he ACTUALLY had, trading down is speculative and is not ACTUAL value.

Just like the difference between 25 and 13 is smaller this year than in other years, Br4d.

At a certain point in this first round, and it's early on, you are deciding which player fits your team the best, and which weaknesses can you work with. Not "this guy and this guy are absolute studs, which one do we have ranked higher for our team?"

14. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Tell that to Deion sanders.

Just wait until draft day before crying about this. He's gone and his departure opens up help for the rest of the team, have faith

15. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Except how much could Revis help this team with so many holes. He plays amazing at his position, unfortunately for him and us, excellent at his position is not as impactful as a great OLB, or great DL, or great QB or great RB. It was a move we had to make whenever Idzik found out Revis wanted 16 million a year, and he made the move. Good for us.

Coming off an ACL injury. We were in a tough spot and we pried a 1st. It sucks the trade didn't live up to the rumor, but this is much better than letting him walk for nothing next year.

16. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Based off what? How the hell is it a failure when we didn't even draft anyone with these picks?

For all we know that pick next year could be ammo if we need to trade up for Bridgewater.

Your jumping the gun with how your evaluating this deal. Give Idzik until Thursday(And really a while to see how the player(s) we get do in the NFL) to fully judge this deal. We could trade down from 13 to 23 and get a 2nd and 5th and swap one of those 5ths for Ivory and we could all of a sudden look brighter at the end of this week.

17. NYJETS4life24

NYJETS4life24 Active Member

Bucs win jets loss. I am beyond pissed! Who are we going to take at 13 that will be more valuable then revis? And the 3rd round player in next years draft. Terrible deal and shows how unloyal and arrogant woody is. He can give a guy like Sanchez a contract ext but can't give a proven/future hof player a long term deal. Wish I had the money I would buy the jets from him.

18. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

The problem you have is letting the media tell you we're gonna get so and so picks when that was never a formality to begin with.

19. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Ohhh did not know how that works. So we would have let him walk for nothing unless we decided not to sign anyone all offseason with then new cap space?

20. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

As much as I hate losing Revis and a 1st and 4th is not close to being payment enough I'm still somewhat happy with this trade after seeing how much Revis signed for. 16 million a year for a non QB is pretty crazy money.