Resigning Fitz

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Thewatchfuleye, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Ubiquitous

Ubiquitous Well-Known Member

Long story short: Fitz had a hell of a year. Other teams will have interest. Sign the bastard.

TurkJetFan likes this.
  2. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I think it's kind of a symbiotic relationship.

I don't think there are a ton of teams out there that are going to want to pay Fitz HUGE money (i.e., significantly more than what the Jets would prepare to offer) and the Jets don't have many options that would be significantly better than Fitz, especially for what they might be willing to offer him.

I think this is an easy negotiation.

_

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  3. Thewatchfuleye

Thewatchfuleye Active Member

If Manning retires I could see the option for Fitz in Denver at least for a season. Their offensive line is not great and Fitz is fast to release and has no fear of running. If he wants a Super Bowl ring and not money that would be a tough choice for him should it present itself.

I can't see Manning back in Denver even if he wants to play because I don't think they'd start him and because of the money involved.

Cleveland is so messed up in the QB spot they'd probably pay handsomely even for 2-3 years to have someone competent in there.

Eagles, Rams, Texans likely could use help in the QB stop. There are a few teams that need backups.

There are few viable options around right now, they'd be better off getting the contract done sooner rather than later.

4. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

I think Fitz loves this organization. I don't see him leaving. He made his big pay day and the Jets will pay him fairly. I don't see him leaving. After all the places he's been the Jets could offer stability for once.

westiedog1 likes this.
  5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

How cool is it that this thread exists though? For Fitzpatrick at least. A journeyman that no one believed in. When he was acquired via trade and no one really cared except for the "anyone but Geno" fans. Now? He is loved by this fan base and the majority would like him back on a 2-3 year deal.

74, Footballgod214, TNJet and 3 others like this.
  6. jco2007

jco2007 Active Member

It's awesome. I was actually pretty pumped with the signing and was hoping we gave him a chance to start. I watched him play well with the Texans last year before he broke his leg. He finally had legit threats in Hopkins/Andre and played his best ball. I had a feeling things would click with Fitz and Marshall/Decker. Turned out even better than I thought.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  7. Thewatchfuleye

Some players hit their stride at different times, and I never thought he was that bad but more careless for his limited arm strength at times in his earlier seasons especially because he likes to try and make tightly placed throws into coverage. I think he's matured to the point where he's not going to be that careless anymore and happened to land on a team with talented players and get repaired with Chan Gailey. That's why I'd like to see this deal wrapped up sooner rather than later so they can work on other stuff like addressing the number of dropped catches and perhaps trying to find a tight end that can catch.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  8. jco2007

jco2007 Active Member

I think your numbers are low. Probably looking at closer to 2 year/$24 million. I hope you're right, but I don't think there's any way we get him that cheap.

9. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Fitz will stay even if he has to take a home town discount. This isn't Peyton Manning going from team to team looking for the best Budweiser Distributorships to invest in. He's a career journeyman who's found stability for the first time. He's also got 5 kids to raise. This should be a slam dunk move.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

westiedog1 likes this.
  10. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

He's got nothing on Cro.

_

NYJFOREVER and TNJet like this.
  11. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Cro's out his entire retirement because he didn't like latex on his junk.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

TNJet likes this.
  12. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure Brock will be their QB...... There more interested in keeping their D togather than paying Brock...,,, and they don't have a lot of money as it is..... If he wants more money they may tell him to walk. If that happens, I could see them turn to Fitz...... If they do, I'd go after Osweiler.

Br4d likes this.
  13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

QB is a leadership position and Fitzpatrick gave us great leadership last year. If he can keep doing that while we find the franchise QB it will be a great blessing.

The Dark Knight and Brook! like this.
  14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

It's possible they won't re-sign Osweiler but he'd likely be a huge bargain for them on the cap moving forward and nobody in their right mind is going to give Osweiler franchise QB money off of his half season of play, however good it was.

I'm guessing the Broncos and Osweiler work out a 5 year deal at $10M a year with some escalators and also the chance for the Broncos to get out of it cheaply in a couple of years if he doesn't produce for them.

15. Thewatchfuleye

I guess this depends in what Osweiler thinks he's worth. There are a couple of teams that have been mentioned here that would likely take a shot on him and have more cap room even if it's only a bit more than Denver would possibly be able to pay even if it's only a 2 year.

Some teams are in need of backup QBs at this point as well. If Matt Hasslebeck retires I don't think Indy will go in with just a Clipboard Jesus, even though he's a veteran unless they draft a low round QB. EJ Manuel, unless he shows major progress, did nothing backing up Tyrod Taylor even though he's under contract the Bills may try and trade him because of lack of salary cap space to bring in someone more reliable.

Which brings me to the idea that Jets may try something like that with Geno. If they're going to try, and they know he's not the guy, this is the time to do it. They still seem committed to him though.

One thing I didn't think of before is always the possibility Peyton doesn't hang them up but takes a backup role somewhere to help train a young QB. I don't think it's likely but anything is possible.

16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Osweiler is a great fit for their offense whereas Fitz has the same shortcomings that Manning does. It worked out for them because of their elite defense but they took away Manning's strengths by forcing him under center in a zone blocking play action offense that Kubiak runs.

Osweiler holds on to the ball too long but he'll learn and he throws a nice deep ball that is perfect for their offense. Run, run, run, run, play action bomb to Sanders and Demaryus (Demaryus who drops an incredible amount of short throws).

I don't really care what Fitz did with this team last year and I'd like to see him stay. But if Brock hits the open market I hope we're players.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It'll definitely be interesting. Does he really want to commit that long to a bargain deal that brings him into his 30s or does he want a short term prove it deal so he can cash in?

18. Thewatchfuleye

If he's confident of his ability to run the team I can't see why he'd take a low long term contract on the cheap. It makes sense on the Broncos side given their lack of cap wiggle room vs some other teams, but does it make sense to Osweiler? There are other teams that could potentially offer more. Thats assuming Denver wants him to stay, which I presume they do. I'd say a 2-3 year deal seems to make more sense in his part if he thinks he's the franchise QB going forward.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree that either a 2-3 year deal or a longer-term, incentive-laden contract makes more sense. I'm sure that he wants to make big money, but unless he cares more about the money than getting to play in SBs, I can't imagine Osweiler leaving the Broncos unless they either make it clear they don't want him back or really insult him with a lowball offer. If he stays with them, he would have a great chance of playing in multiple SBs over the next 4-5 years.

Thewatchfuleye likes this.
  20. Thewatchfuleye

As long as Denver can maintain that defense they're going to be a legitimate SB contender. The cap numbers though give the Browns, Texans and Eagles a lot of room and they all really need a QB. Drafting a QB is not a guaranteed to produce an immediate starter. If they want that now could throw money at someone, particularly the Browns, who need immediate help. None of them are particularly pressed in the cap dept. I wouldn't be surprised at this point to see Tim Tebow signed by someone. Things are going to be interesting this year because of the lack of viable options and the need for QBs.

I wouldn't mind the Jets trading Geno if he really isn't the answer (I personally don't think he is) if there was some definitive answer on Bryce Petty or the option to draft a QB. That's also assuming they can sign Fitz who was apparently working with Petty or could mentor someone for 2 maybe 3 seasons. The thing is they still really need a 3rd stringer even if that happens and that's if Bryce has shown more progress than Geno, so you wouldn't want to trade Geno unless you could draft a QB for it or had some veteran option already secured.