Report: Matt Barkley met with Bills, Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by neid92, Feb 25, 2013.

1. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

exactly what I was thinking. Just because the jets interviewed him doesn't mean we're drafting him either.

2. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

There is a huge disconnect in your logic. You explain the QB is an important position which is true. Then you make this big leap of logic that QB is so important we should draft it as soon as possible which is not true. If that logic made sense then there would be 4 QB drafted by the time Jets even get to pick.

3. jetlife21

jetlife21 Well-Known Member

Yea I think it's a good idea to draft a QB when your starter is Mark Sanchez and your backup is Tim Tebow. If they want to sign a guy this offseason and wait til they cut Sanchez to draft one that could be a good strategy but who knows if we're going to get Johnny Football or Teddy Bridgewater if we wait a year. We might just wait until the 2nd or 3rd round to grab someone this year but if Wooy/Idzik/Rex think they have their guy in Barkely or Geno Smith if he falls to 9 I'm not going to be upset we took a chance of getting a franchise QB over drafting a Chance Warmack or Cordarelle Patterson.

4. cbman13

cbman13 Well-Known Member

If we go all in on any qb. It should be Geno Smith at all cost in my opinion. But I don't look at either of the two and think "man, they're gonna be way better than Sanchez."

5. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/0ap2000000145244/Barkley-gets-put-to-the-test

Real smart kid right there.

Pass.

Jesus. It was such a simple concept too. (I grasped it at the FIRST sight, mind you. If a layman like myself can do it, QBs that have been doing these for their entire lives should have NO problem grasping it.)

Check down at the right - either Z runs corner or out. That was option route for hot. Slot WR (F) shoots across the field, gunning at FS. TE first picks the defender, then is on a shallow cross. If it's a zone play, he sits squarely, and if it's a man coverage, he drags along the LoS. X runs Post - corner - post route. Mariuci even gave him the drop count (seven - so, unless blitz is coming, it's three vertical release play, with one short release. This also means, this is 6 man protection scheme. From the way it was drawn up, this was from 11 personnel.) The play was 2 Jet Dino Y shallow cross - Mariuci again gave what Dino was (route for X; the concept behind post - corner - post route was to evade the corner on X. As Mariuci would put it, that route will 'spin' the CB.) The read is on FS - if FS bails, F is the check down. (Mariuci gave this as well - with TD/Check down mnemonic.) If FS bites F, then primary read is X - if all else fails, Y then Z. (Hence the checkdown)

And this whizkid somehow missed most of the intricacies of the play.

Sure, he was asked to "flip" the play, but 1. he totally butchers the play terminology (Y is on SHALLOW CROSS, son. Not on Dino.) and then 2. puts X on simple post. (This was the meat of the play, mind you.) I don't think I saw the drop count or read progression, or primary read either. Sheesh! (Maybe he told Mariuci about it - but at least on board, they were not written. And they should have been, especially the read on FS.)

Hell, Mariuci even asks at the end of the review - "How do we teach this route?" and Barkley again butchers the concept. Mariuci intervenes when Barkley tries to bullshit his way out with "Sluggo special" (Sluggo is a slant - then release deep, depending on how the CB reacts. Nothing like Dino Mariuci ordered.) Double whammy right there.

Do you STILL want another dumbass from USC? Spare me.

#45 Zach, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  6. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

No thank you.

7. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

I don't necessarily think there's a correlation between USC QB and NFL failure (other than maybe pointing to aggressive offensive style combined with a lot of athletic talented weapons), but I do think that drafting another USC QB would be yet another unnecessary distraction for the NYJ.

Having said that, how many big college football programs (like UF FSU and USC that routinely net five-star recruits able to out-run everyone on the field) have produced starting NFL quarterbacks over the last 10 or 15 years? Possible candidates for that qualification since Peyton Manning: Cam Newton, Mike Vick (?), Tom Brady (although he didn't get to play much), Sam Bradford, and Matt Stafford.

#47 VanderbiltJets, Feb 26, 2013
  8. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

So Barkley is going to be bad just because he went to USC

The difference between him and Sanchez, Leinart, Cassel and Booty(hahahaahahhahahahahahahahahahaha) is simple, he has the IQ to be a stud QB, with proper coaching and grooming and building the team to his strengths unlike what we did with Nacho after his 1st 2 years.

Barkley is going to be a stud if he goes into the proper situation

9. xBleedingGreen62x

Amen. If he went to ANY other college the tune on him would be very different. I would not take him @ 9 but if hes available in the 2nd id def take him. I think hes gonna be a very good QB. The only QBs I like from this draft are him and Glennon. If either of them are there in the 2nd we should take 1 of em. I like Glennon a lil more tho

10. SoulFood

SoulFood Active Member

I don't care that Matt Barkley went to USC, I do care however that he was never very impressive at an elite school with elite talent. He carried a lot of hype into college that amounted to one very good season and a few other decent ones, and now he's carrying hype into the draft. He has tools but if you want to show me something, show it to me on the field.

11. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Are you suggesting Sanchez was in the proper situation?

Schotty cough cough....Sparano....cough cough.

Sanchez gets a pass, until this season is over.
    The Gholston waste was bad enough, now you want to waste a five overall pick, be ause you can't admit the offensive systems sucked?

Let's set the team back three more years.

12. Jeti

Jeti Well-Known Member

Sanchez was in a great environment his 1st 2 years, then all hell broke loose.

The team was built around the run game and the defense then we tried to go vertical and that was just plain bad. Then with Morono, we tried to mix it up but his play calling was bad as well(2nd and 10 runs, 3rd and 3 passes)

Barkley is coming into a better situation. Marty Mornhinweg is great with Quarterbacks, Idzik seems to know what he's doing and has a plan in place. Barkley's arm will improve after his rehab but again we wont be going vertical all that much. A methodical offense, working the clock, eating up yards in small bunches, keeping our defense fresh is what we should do if we have Barkley under center.

In my eyes Barkley will be a notch under Luck at their peaks. If we draft him and I hope we do I think he'll do wonders with us, I'll also take Geno Smith.

At #9 thats who I want Barkley or Smith

13. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I didn't say I didn't like Barkley because he was from USC. (Well. I did earlier, but then I was not impressed with this kid either. From talented USC squad, notwithstanding.) Read what I wrote above. I don't want him because he looks like a total dumbass.

Since he flipped the play, the protection might now be 3-Jet. (I still think it's still 2-Jet scheme, but whatever. I'm going to give it to him for brownie points, if anything.) Ok. So far, so good.

He then went on to butcher the next part - mini dino, Y dino - this is when Mariuci intervenes. Look. Y is on a SHALLOW CROSS. Dino is the route for Z.

He then fantastically fucks up the next part, where he completely butchers up the Dino part. Like I said, Dino is about the Z route (post - corner - post). Barkley draws it up like it was a simple post (which is wrong) then is caught bullshitting out of his ass when he tries that stupid 'Sluggo Special' shit.

If I am not mistaken, it would have been 3-Jet, Y shallow cross dino. (X is now the hot/Y remains the same/F remains the same/Z route changes) It is a bit odd, since the formation call is missing - but since Mariuci didn't give it, he didn't test Barkley with it either.

P.S. Ok. It is one interview. Maybe he was nervous. But consider this. If your QB chokes for a FUCKING INTERVIEW, do you want to imagine what will happen in a playoff game? I'd rather not. On top of that, he SHOULD know these plays by heart now. He played in WCO for good 4 years. I didn't. So how come his playing experience is not showing in there?

Compare that with this: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-combine/09000d5d82742179/RGIII-shows-his-smarts

RG3 missed the FORMATION (given formation was Brown - RG3 had it at Blue. What that means is... the placement of RB is wrong. That's all. He had it on the wrong side, by the terminology, not by the drawing.) Other than that, he nailed every salient point a QB has to know. (Protection scheme, route progression, and read progression.) The given play was Brown Right F-short 2-Jet Flanker drive. (Mariuci gives what each term means in the video, with drop count. RG3 nails nearly all of them.)

PS2. Just for the interested: If what I have known all these years are not wrong, the terminology for any WCO goes like this:

[Formation] - [Pre-snap motion] - [Protection Scheme] - [Route combination]

In Barkley's case, formation call and pre-snap motion calls are both missing. Pre-snap motion can be missing; probably there is no pre-snap motion. The formation, from my book, is Zebra (That book refers to F as Zebra - I don't know why) but other than that, there is not much missing. Barkley somehow misses most of the points in the play anyway. Go figure. Smart kid? Yeah. Real smart. Just like Nacho.

PS3. Now I know it - I remembered Favre once mentioned that play in one of his interview. It is Double Wing Right 2 Jet Dino Y shallow cross.

#53 Zach, Feb 26, 2013
  14. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Geno Smith butchered a Mooch play also.

15. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I know that the mere fact that Barkeley came from USC does not mean he must fail in the NFL. But I do think the pr angle on it is enough for the Jets to look elsewhere.

And in fairness to the naysayers, the whole "playing in the cold" business is, at the least, something a USC Qb is not going to have a track record of doing much of. Again, that doesn't mean there's a destiny to fail, but it is a factor.

Bottom line, I doubt the Jets go this route.

16. BeastBeach

BeastBeach Banned

True about the cold. The QBs are also coddled and deified at USC so they don't learn how to become real leaders. Sound like anyone you know? USC is big shit in that part of Cali.

I think a lot of you guys are overreacting though. Interviews don't mean shit. And plenty of times teams end up drafting guys high that they never interviewed at all.

17. neid92

neid92 Well-Known Member

I sure hope they don't waste a first round pick on a QB. I just don't think this year is very strong at the QB position.

18. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

So just why do you think I am screaming "NO QB THIS YEAR!!!" ? Do you see a good one coming out?

19. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I don't follow closely enough to have an opinion on later round guys but based on the breakdown of the plays I don't think Geno or Matt are the answer.

Other years when I watched Qbs break down plays they nailed it and some of those Qbs struggled. Long road for Geno and Matt.

20. wildaces

wildaces Banned

I don't like him from what I saw watching some youtube video's, but that was just bad. I hope that smug attitude was not his attitude with teams.