Reality Check: Jets can pass the ball

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Hemi, Sep 25, 2009.

1. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

All I'm saying is that passing the ball isn't what Ryan wants to do and it isn't what any fan should want to do either. If Ryan was content with the offense he wouldn't be calling the OL out like he is.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

If Ryan was content with anything, I wouldn't want him coaching the Jets. The OL isn't playing up to par as far as opening decent holes for the running game, but they are also playing the ground game against a stacked deck and we have to throw the ball until team start to respect Sanchez in their gameplans. The O-line had targets on their backs the moment Rex announced this was going to be a run-heavy offense. Now they have to answer.

3. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Some got the point I see.

What I am saying in a nutshell is yes, Ryan said he wanted a run first team. I think some of that was predicated on uncertainty at QB and WR. So far this season, when asked to make a play, Sanchez has delivered.

My point being don't be afraid, here early in the season, to let Sanchez make some plays and the running game will come as he proves himself a viable starter in the league. That being said, the ones that say the running game is struggling and that the Jets don't run enough, just look at the numbers.

vs. Texans.

31 passes attempted. 272 yards
    42 rushing attempts 190 yards

vs. Patriots
    22 passes attempted 163 yards
    31 rushes attempted, 117 yards

Looks pretty good to me so far, a good balanced offense leaning more on the run than the pass, even with a stacked box against the run. Once teams start to respect the pass, that can only help the ground game.