Re-Evaluating Pennington

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 3rdAnd15Draw, Oct 29, 2006.

1. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

With the way our OLine played yesterday I would say young legs may serve us better ala Vick/Young then say a statue like Penny sitting back there

2. championjets69

Sorry to disagree but we have been the same as the Cards/Lions to name just 2 for the last 37 years now.

3. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

The pass protection was fine yesterday. Pennington was not under abnormal NFL pressure considering the hole we were in. He was sacked once and was pressured hard on a couple of plays but overall the pass blocking was fine. He just wasn't hitting the recievers.

4. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

I.S.

Im not saying that buddy. Im not saying he mentally check out. Nothing about my post says anything about his mental toughness..in fact..Chads mental toughness is probably what keeps him in the league..and has him as one of the top 15 qb's in the NFL.

The one dimensional comment was made because imho, Chad can throw a bomb every 3 or 4 games. Teams will not prepare themselves on what Chad can do 4 times a year. They will prepare themselves on what Chad CAN do everytime with the ball...which is touch pass all day long.and keep the passes within 5-15 yards of the line of scrimmage..which makes him for the most part..one dimensional.

Great defenses eat that stuff up..and lets face it..Chad tanks games against great defenses. Hey...most qbs do.

I still think this team can win with chad...hes just not a qb that the team can jump on his back and carry them..especially in big games.

5. 3rdAnd15Draw

3rdAnd15Draw Well-Known Member

This is Eli Manning syndrome. On the opening drive Pennington went 4-6 for 51 yards. The rest of the game he was 7-22 for 57 yards and 2 ints. There's no whitewashing that. He was scared to throw the ball and the way he looked yesterday I can't really blame him. The only thing I don't understand is why he wasn't pulled.

6. LI JET FAN

LI JET FAN New Member

Pennington had a BAD GAME! He also was terrible against Jacksonville. You can hang these losses on him in terms of the offense. Fans demanding that Ramsey or Clemens play are ill informned. Ramsey is a turnover waiting to happen. Clemens while a unknown commodity is a rookie and most likely would be eaten alive by NFL defenses. 2007 will tell the tale if Pennington is the Messiah to get us to a SB!

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

No way in hell. You're totally offbase in comparing the Jets to the dregs of the NFL cellar.

The Jets have actually oscillated back and forth between being marginal contenders and being cellar dwellers for most of their history.

For every very bad team, as in the 1975 and 1976 editions, there has been a playoff team within a half decade on each side. The latest edition of the terribles, the 2005 Jets, had the team right before it go to the divisional playoff round and had other teams make the playoffs shortly before too. Even the 1995 and 1996 teams, which were the worst in Jet's history, had a team closely following them go to the the AFC Championship game.

The Cards and the Lions have had bupkus for 37 years. The last Lions team to make the playoffs was in 1997. That's going on a decade ago.

The Cards? They've had ONE playoff appearance since 1976. They've had THREE teams win more games than they lost since 1976.

The comment you made above is indefensible in ANY context.

8. jaywayne12

Many of us, after a good start..and good games by Chad, praised him.

Im not sure what you want us to do..ignore the bad ones? Is anyone demanding Chads head on a platter? OR...or...are we having an honest discussion on how Chad is the type of qb that most good DCs can come up with a gameplan to neutralize him..or even shut him down.

9. championjets69

Sorry I saw it as he constantly was under pressure or just plain afraid for whatever reasons. How did you like that wounded duck that Penny threw up to JMaC?

#69 championjets69, Oct 30, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2006
  10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He wasn't pulled because Mangini wants to win more than two games the rest of the year and the odds are that Chad is the only hope to do that.

We can't even say that Clemens would be a more mobile option for the Jets and give the offensive line some relief because truth be told Chad is pretty damn mobile for a big slow guy.

11. championjets69

H'mm all I equate is CHAMPIONSHIPs & to my knowledge us the Cards & Lions amongst others have not won a CHAMPIONSHIP in 37 years so that puts us in the same bottom cellar ranking as them no matter how you wish to color it

#71 championjets69, Oct 30, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2006
  12. LI JET FAN

LI JET FAN New Member

I'll take a crack here and defend him to a point. He's no Joe Montana ,that's for sure.:lol: But he also isn't terible. He's missing :martin: and has no reliable running game. Chad isn't a 300 yd "put his team on his back" QB but he is a servicable one when he has the right weapons.

13. jaywayne12

Not sure about that 3rd. Many times over the year you see a qb that struggles all game and then puts it together for a final drive.

The Jets have nobody that could have come in and showed less fear or whatever it was.

Let the Jets get under 500 with 4 games to go..if the coaching staff wants to take a look at this kid then..against an easy schedule..I guess thats ok.

But if they are looking at revamping the defense next year and making a playoff run...with Chad as the qb..it might be difficult to make that change at all this season.

14. jaywayne12

I know Im beating a deadhorse here...:lol: ...and will repeat it one more time...Dilfer and Johnson won superbowls...with the right surrounding cast...chad can too.

15. 3rdAnd15Draw

Mobility isn't my concern with Chad or any future QB the Jets might have. I think the pass protection has been pretty good this year and that includes yesterdays game. We know that Chad can be successful my concern is the pattern of poor play against certain types of defenses that stack the line against him.

Any halfway decent defense or defensive coordinator is able to figure this out. Personally, I think finding out what we have at the QB position behind Chad is of greater importantance then winning another game or two this year.

16. championjets69

While what you posted is true then we really/truly better hurry & get the talent cause the Penny window is quickly closing. Also while what you posted is valid how do you find so many talented players so quickly since they just do not fall off trees before the Penny window has closed?

17. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Someone else must have made the "mentally check out" comment, maybe it was 3rd. Chad was just off for most of the game yesterday, plain and simple. He threw long, just didn't connect. Coles beat his man on a 1st and 10 and Chad overthrew him, it happens. If anything they've been throwing too long on 3rd and short this year. Chad has also completed a good deal of long balls this year too---McCarens last week for a TD, Coles the week before, just off the top of my head.

18. championjets69

Yes I fully agree with this as we have to find out if Clemens is the real deal or do we have to again waste a pick on a QB in the future. Also, while we not get to the MIA record which should 1-7 after this weeks game the more losses as everybody knows means a higher draft pick that will help us get well quicker

19. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Pulled for whom? Chad is our best QB by far, even on a bad day. Again, he threw the last ball for what was really the game tying TD, you thought a rookie or Ramsey was going to do that? I'm not saying Eli Manning is a HOF QB yet either, but to have a guy who can brush off a bad day and give you a chance to win at the end is what you want. That's Manning's best quality, in my opinion, except has has a lot more tools at his disposal right now than Chad has.

20. 3rdAnd15Draw

It was me. Chad is usually the first guy on the sidelines trying to fire a team up, cheering etc. If you taped the game yesterday watch after the Miller TD when he's halfheartedly giving high fives and pouting on the sidelines. Now, there was certainly a physical component to his struggles yesterday, there's no questioning that, but something was clearly in his head yesterday as well. From a QB with a skillset like Pennington lapses like yesterdays in the mental department are absolutely inexcusable.