Ravens going to kick the Patriots ass again?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by soxxx, Nov 30, 2014.

1. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Hmm you would know better than me. I'm really only judging the offense/Brady over the course of the season and then the defense in the playoffs. I didn't want to say the 2010 team was as good just because it felt bias and I would come across as saying "yeah of course the Jets beat the best Pats team".

The 2011 I remember as Brady in a highly efficient form and a defense that was making key plays/stops. I remember the 2010 defense as a front running defense that was really good with a lead but struggled without it. I could be wrong on that, but those are my lasting impressions.

2. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

The 2010 offense was more lethal, but the 2011 offense felt like it had more control. If Pollard hadn't injured Gronkowski, the Patriots probably win the Super Bowl. The Giants dodged a bullet, Rob was nearly useless in the Super Bowl, he had one big catch I believe.

3. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Oh Denver has no chance against New England in New England. They don't have a backbone, unless things are going right, they fall apart. Recently they have had this trend of not being able to put teams away either. We saw it when the Jets played em, and the Bills last week, as well the Chiefs early on.

Broncos "blew it", that was their chance to win it, and Peyton knows it, and so does Elway and Fox. They won't get back their, and they are pretty much on the decline from here on out.

4. strngplyr

strngplyr Well-Known Member

I just love the media portraying what looks to be Denver's collapse as "a new way to win" aka running the ball because Peyton is having trouble slinging it.

5. strngplyr

I kind of feel the opposite about the offenses, the 2011 offense was more prolific but it was also a season where Brady was a little more Favre-ish, higher INT numbers, big play or bust kind of year (Though the big plays kept coming, making them very lethal). 2010 you never had a doubt that they were in control. 66% completion, record for most 2td 0int games in a row, record for most pass attempts without an INT, best turnover differential since the 80s redskins, i think 2nd best in history, etc. That was probably one of the best one and done teams in NFL playoff history, as bad as that sounds. If they played anyone but the Jets that day they probably win the superbowl too.

And Gronk's biggest impact in that SB was an interception in which he was targeted, the Giants' really did luck into that win, Gronk was having the best catching season in history by a TE and probably could be ranked top 5, at worst top 10 season by a pass catcher period, 1300+ yards, 17 TDs (+1 "rushing").

6. displacedfan

That's basically the go to everytime the Packers, Broncos, Patriots, or Saints focus on the run game. When the Pats rushed for 6 TDs on IND last playoff it started up basically the same talk, "they are going back to complete football, know how to win, playoff football". Whenever one of those QBs struggles, first you blame the WR when thy aren't on the same page, then you say the team needs to run the ball more and play better defense.

Nothing changes in the analysis, just switch the QB names. It's the same cycle. Luck will be throw in that talk soon. I guess it means you've made it when analysts make excuses for you. Doesn't happen for that tier of QBs right below them though.

7. strngplyr

I agree and disagree to an extent, you hear it for the others one or 2 games at a time, generally because the run is being so successful you'd be foolish to stop. In Denver's case I don't think they can win without it. Manning is throwing some of his worst balls in the past 2 years these last 4 or so weeks, some literally look like punts.

The other QBs you mentioned rely on the run as part of the gameplan because a team can't stop it. Denver is forcing the run even in situations its not working, and I may be, and probably am, jumping to conclusions here, but I believe theyre forcing the run because Manning is truly having issues. It's a little different from the other situations.

8. displacedfan

I agree you would be foolish to stop running, just saying if you are one of those 4 QBs the same exact talk happens when they have a good running game.

Manning's arm has been shot for a while, it's finally caught up to him. I was really surprised he performed as he did last year and still performing at a top level this year. He might finally be done or he might be going through a slump, we will see.

I think they're forcing the run because Manning is hurt. I think he blew way past what they thought he would be throwing and they tried to dial back dramatically in the attempts category.

I was more talking about the new way to win portion. For those QBs, when their team runs the ball successfully, everyone assumes it's because they are playing playoff football or whatever. In reality, it's partially because the run game can't be stopped partial the QB is having a rough day. But that rough day the QB is having is never talked about and if it does get talked about ,we blame the WRs,

9. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

I honestly think Manning may be done. A rough first round exit might be enough for him to call it quits. He just looks old finally.....

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

soxxx has just looked stupid for years. Hasn't been a catalyst for "quit".

BeastBeach likes this.
  11. strngplyr

Hey now, lets not compare Soxxx to Manning.

12. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Yeah that would be disrespectful to soxxx.

13. NJJ_Jersey_Jets

NJJ_Jersey_Jets Well-Known Member

14. strngplyr

Ravens are our most intimidating matchup based on history, but this isn't the same Ravens team realistically. Last time they played the Ravens suffered an embarrassing beatdown.

No Rice, no Boldin, Talib won't need to worry about icing up since he'll be in Denver. This Ravens offense is not that good, Mike Mitchell was the Ravens offensive MVP today.

But it still means something that the Ravens will be by far the team in the AFC that has the most confidence to go into Foxboro and win. PM plays scared shitless and the playoffs have arrived, same goes for Dalton, Pitt can't really win there, Indy just can't seem to beat Brady and Co.

The Ravens will get ready for this game and unlike the rest of the AFC they won't play scared. Still don't think they're good enough.

15. PickSix

PickSix Well-Known Member

The last two Paperweights playoff loses (both time the AFCCG) turned on injury by Talib. Should be interesting if it turns out to be NE/DEN this year

16. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

Ravens have a great shot of putting one of the pats stars on the bench (Gronk, Edleman). I thought Flacco looked poised last night, he's a different player in the playoffs. They managed the offense nicely. This Ravens team has a pretty decent offense smith, smith Flacco. I like the matchup way better than if it would have been the Bengals.

Let's go Ravens

17. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Too many people are calling it. And this Pats team is better overall (entirely because of their secondary) than any of the Pats teams that the Ravens have upset in the past. I don't see it. Hope I'm wrong.

18. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Pretty lulzy, I posted the same exact topic, the day after 45-3 in 2010, saying the Jets would go back to New England and win, it happened.

Its just felt like destiny that Baltimore would end up in New England and yes the stage is indeed set.

Axel3419 likes this.
  19. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

I just don't see it. The Patriots offense and defense are much better than Pittsburgh's. The Ravens had some BS calls go their way last night and that won't happen in Foxboro.

20. WhySoSerious488

WhySoSerious488 Well-Known Member

This is how I feel. The Pats D is considerably better than the Steelers D. People forget how bad this Ravens offense looked this season against good Ds and they were fortunate to play the worst D in the playoffs in the wildcard round. Won't be like that next week. Could be a close game though.

slimjasi likes this.