Ravens going to kick the Patriots ass again?

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by soxxx, Nov 30, 2014.

1. GoPats

GoPats Well-Known Member

There was a pretty funny rebuttal to that piece:

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/10/...pygate-in-anticipation-of-jets-patriots-game/

Points out, among other things, that the Flutie rumor is impossible because if Tom Brady was getting information about "the exact defense he was about to face" through a "secret frequency," he was apparently about to snap the ball without his helmet on. (Since the rumor stated that Flutie was on the sidelines, grabbed it, and put it on.) Kind of a big "whoops" on that one, huh?

I wonder if all 110 of his twitter followers bought the book. If they did, he's only about $28,000 shy of earning back the $30K he spent to publish it!

To the point about the Super Bowl... the Patriots have won three by a combined 9 points, and lost two by a combined 7. The difference between them being 0-5 in these Super Bowls and 5-0 is about a half dozen plays. So yes, they haven't won a SB since Spygate. Undeniable fact, but highly deniable factor.

To the point about the punishment for Spygate... the Broncos were fined $968,000 (close to the $1M combined for the team and Belichick) and had a 3rd round pick taken away for circumventing the salary cap from 1996-1998. They were caught making deferred payments to John Elway and Terrell Davis. If you take either of those guys off those teams, do they win back-to-back titles? Don't know, but this never gets a lot of traction because it happened in the pre-social-media era.

This is fun!

2. JetsVilma28

JetsVilma28 Well-Known Member

^ lol yeah, there was nothing going on lol. The league punished Belchick and the Pats for no reason. It was just a misinterpretation of the rules, you can't video tape another teams signal caller lol "misinterpretation" lol.

Doug Flutie is a liar. Ted Johnson is a liar. Bob Harlan is a liar. The late Senator Arlen Specter was a liar.

Nothing to see here folks, #Patriotway

3. GoPats

GoPats Well-Known Member

Like I've said, go by what you see on the field.

The Flutie story was presented as a rumor. Let's not pretend he actually said any of that.

Ted Johnson said they got a list of audibles before the game. What does that have to do with filming signals during the game? Teams (still) steal other teams' audibles if they'r'e not smart enough to change them up. The Dolphins famously did that to the Patriots in 2006.

I don't see your point with Bob Harlan. His story is actually one that holds up. No one has ever denied the filming.

Arlen Specter? "Magic Bullet Theory" originator? Yup, hitch your wagon to that guy!

You watch football right? I mean, like, sometimes maybe? A little?

4. JetsVilma28

So what's your point? You agree, right? The Patriots were, knowingly, cheating for years. The league punished the Pats and the vast majority of evidence was destroyed.

That's your favorite football franchise. It must feel a little dirty

5. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Yeah, haters reviews from amazon reinforce your point. If even 1/5 of the shit in that book were backed by any credible evidence the book would have made huge waves and lots of people would have read it. It was debunked and died.

I'm sure in your little hater world everything in the book is gospel. If it makes you feel better and helps get you through the football season, good for you.

6. JetsVilma28

Pff I'm sure in your little #patriotway world everything is pink ponies and leprechauns.

7. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

JV28, you suck at making this argument.

This is coming from someone that thinks you're a good dude. The over the top shit does nothing for you.

8. JetsVilma28

It's just facts bro. Thanks though

There really is no argument. They got caught, they were punished, it happened.

soxxx likes this.
  9. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

If it didnt help the Patriots, then why were they doing it. It clearly was giving them some sort of advantage, and it was clearly huge considering the NFL destroyed the tapes...

I believe it was so bad to the point that it would have tarnished the NFL, like a player gambling on his own team sort of level.

10. abyzmul

Come on, man. That book is fucking questionable as hell. There are enough facts and there is a logical argument against the Pats' fans defense of Spygate without mentioning that bag of dry leaves that you are touting as gospel.

Do you really think it's a coincidence that the Patsies latched onto you instead of responding to displaced or myself? They are going after the easy argument. And if you haven't figured it out, that's you.

11. JetsVilma28

Wait, when did I say the book was gospel? It probably is a rag. I wouldn't buy it or read it. I'm sure 90% of it is complete bullshit, mostly baseless allegations.

12. abyzmul

You quoted 13 article segments that were based entirely on that book.

There may actually be some damning info there, but it's hard to find a good nugget in a giant puddle of mud.

And seriously, the Post?

13. JetsVilma28

Haha the golden nugget was the Greenbay game. There was some flakes at the bottom of the senator findings.

14. abyzmul

I give up.

15. strngplyr

strngplyr Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but they were leading in both games with under 2 minutes to go, the Giant's made 2 incredible plays to beat the Patriots' in those games, along with the Patriots' failing to make one play (Wes Welker) drop in the 2nd.

What does cheating or not cheating have to do with that? There is no coincidence, the Giants had a little bit of luck on their side that New England had in prior years. There is absolutely no coincidence, coincidence would be New England falling apart after the scandal, they didn't, they arguable became a better team who just hasn't been able to win the SB, something 26 other teams haven't done either.

TL;DR
    They appeared in 3 of 4 in early 2000's, won all 3, difference was execution in critical moments

Appeared in 2 or 4 a decade later, lost both, Tyree catch, Welker Drop, Manningham catch. Any of those 3 plays go in the opposite direction and NE wins one or both of those Superbowls, would taping defensive signals have made any of those 3 plays execution end up differently? I highly doubt that.

16. abyzmul

Your post is frantic and all over the place, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that you're under the influence.

You give the Giants credit for making incredible plays. Is that to make you feel better about the overall game? The Pats were steamrolling every team they faced for both of those seasons. Why did they all of a sudden fall prey to a couple of "amazing plays"?

You are rattling off a litany of excuses that rivals what Pats fans used to ridicule Colts fans for in the glory years.

Taping of signals alone wouldn't have made the entire difference in those games, but the offensive roster for the Pats was leagues better after those Super Bowls than it was before. The Pats had ALL WORLD teams on offense in those two SBs. And failed, when it counted.

Belichick's legendary clutch teams fell on their faces with about the most amazing talent on offense. AGAINST ELI MANNING. He's a HOF QB, right?

Of course, we are relegated to believing that it was chance, that a couple of AMAZING plays was the difference between the Pats achieving NFL legend status and just being the Patsies, but I think we both know that the talent level on those two offenses was head and shoulders better than the talent level of the three defensive units that were the supposed edge for the 01 03 and 04 SBs.

The Pats, since Spygate, are as legendary as the Colts teams of the early 2000s that Pats fans were so eager to denigrate when their team was winning questionable championships.

The only constant is coaching in the Super Bowl. Beli didn't have all the answers, and hasn't for years. That's why he broke the bank in FA this year. We both know it.

17. strngplyr

strngplyr Well-Known Member

Wrote a pretty long response but I don't really feel like having this conversation, fans of teams that are bitter rivals simply aren't going to agree on the matter, its an argument and not a debate, arguments usually aren't won by either side and you're one of the people I respect more around here so I'm gonna drop it.

abyzmul likes this.
  18. abyzmul

I agree. Whenever this topic comes up, I'm a sucker for it, but it never gets anywhere.

Thanks for being the bigger man, because I just can't help myself.

And you're turning out to be one of the Pats fans I really enjoy reading, thanks for that as well.

19. abyzmul

Final note of the night, and it's sad.

The NFL forum is officially the most enjoyable sub of this site.

BS is a fucking turd, and the Jets forum is a haven for trolls. The draft forum is steady, but mostly an argument about a couple of guys that play against each other soon.

Digging the NFL forum, and still don't understand why the TT Forum hasn't been resurrected, because it could solve a lot of bullshit in the Jets forum.

Fart.

74 and displacedfan like this.
  20. GoPats

GoPats Well-Known Member

It's true, they cheated.

What few know is that they also regularly put "Liquid Heat" in the jocks of opposing teams playing at Gillette, just like the tri-Lams.

[​IMG]