Ratliff: We have our future QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by david1023, Aug 16, 2008.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Clemens was not that bad. First 2 drives were rough, after that he was solid. Can't say the same for his WR.

2. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

the wow I saw was him to Clowney against the Browns. I was saying Wow. I think today we saw more "it" with the 1 minute drill he had. Props to Posiask and Chatman for churing out YAC.

3. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

lol - good point.

That 2 minute drill there - he checked down the first play, then threw to Posiask about 10 yards down field I started wondering if it was going to be a CP style 2 minute drill. Posiask made a great play there.

Whoever #2 is that dropped the winning TD is getting cut.

Ratty is cool, calm, and collected back there and making good decisions. Meanwhile our 2nd string guy is tripping over himself. I know Clemens had a lot of drops but he just doesn't look comfortable like Ratty does.

I would feel much more comfortable seeing Ratty in a real game than #11 at this point after all the TC reports and 2 preseason games. I know it's not much, but you just see something in the kid.

I really hope Clowney is OK.

4. HCoftheNYJ

HCoftheNYJ New Member

ok, now this is just silly.

5. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

^ Clowney could take #3, which would be fine if Coles has a day where he can't go- Favre has a repore with Clowney and he'd do great set wide and going deep with Brett's arm strength.

Ratliff in a real game would interest me. A lot of rookie mistakes, but I think a fun resiliency that would keep us in games. But, with Favre at QB for this and maybe next year, Ratliff should be ready to go in a Pennington sense i.e. 2002 and lead the team successfully. All of this is hypothetical, but it makes preseason that much more fun.

6. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Rob is the biggest optimist here, smile and respect the posts as you wait your turn in line to take your grain of salt. :)

I buy mine in bulk...

7. kennyo07

kennyo07 New Member

Ratty is the #2 if you want to base the decision on facts and actual pre season game performance. No question about who has played better and done more with the situation they are given.

An aside, but Clemens is too short, how many batted passes did he have tonight in key moments? At least 2 that I saw. At 6' 2'' which is probably generous he is having trouble getting it over the d line.....which is yet another reason to bench this guy.

I can't believe most of this board wanted him over Penny and actually believed he was better...paleeaazz put him on the practice squad and develop Ainge as the number 3.

8. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

he is showing good ability but he is far from our future qb

9. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

He's been impressive so far. I have to think the reason they haven't even let Ainge touch the field is because the coaches are trying to figure out who our #2 should be.

10. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

I didn't see the game tonight so I'm only taking the word of the people that are commenting, but how funny would it be that that the 2 guys we had going into the season that were battling for the #1 spot are, either released or holding the clipboard in the #3 position on the depth chart 2 weeks later?

11. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

They were both quick slants and EVERY QB telegraphs those throws including Favre. He got off his initial read several times and went through his progression.

12. pimentel79

pimentel79 Member

BR is amazing. From what I've seen so far, I would feel more comfortable with him as the number 2 guy over KC. And I can't wait to see what EA has in store for us. If EA is anything close to BR, he might just be our number 3 guy. B.t.w. Jessie Chapman was incredibly solid. Loved what I saw in him too.

13. steviep

steviep Active Member

Not only that. He treated it like a REAL game -- which meant going for the FG

14. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Looks like a veteran out there.Great command of the offense. Moves the team consistently. Looks comfortable in the pocket.
    The future looks bright.

15. Popeye's Army

Popeye's Army New Member

Ratliff has the moxy, the charisma. He's a guy a team can rally around. And he has made very good decisions with his throws. Great awareness in the pocket.

Ratliff does lock-on to his primary receiver too much. But that can be fixed. He definitely has potential.

16. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

Yeah, I think Ainge is headed for that pinkie hospital on IR. Kellen looked goddamned snake-bit tonight.

I guess he needs to play with these slew-footed second and third team OLs more so that he learns how to keep out of the way of their shoelaces...

What is with everybody's focus when Kellen's throwing...?

His passes were fine, the wide-outs were sleep-walking -- not his fault.

17. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

I really like Ratliff. Petro, rookie mistakes are just that-rookie mistakes. You expect that they can be fixed. The problems with Clemens run much deeper, from his height to his lack of poise and accuracy. Ratliff doesn't have these problems, and in fact, the opposite, he has really impressed me.

Favre, unless we are cursed as a franchise, won't miss any time anyway, so why not have a guy that has potential and see where he will be a year or two from now? I for one am really optimistic on Ratliff.

18. sunnygs97

sunnygs97 New Member

Absolutely. I was watching the game tonight and the whole second half I was thinking, why the hell is Clemens still the backup? Ratliff has played exceedingly well the past two games, and honestly, I am very impressed. Kellen sucked ass tonight.

19. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

It looked more like he was tripping over his own two feet to me. That shit was awful.

20. JetsLookingforDWare

Dude has talent, but lets not get ahead of ourselves. I'd still trust Clemens way more in an actual NFL game.