rate positions by positions

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ajetsfan4ever, May 15, 2006.

1. vilmaisabeast

vilmaisabeast New Member

Im going through all of the positions.

OFFENSE
    QB:B If Pennington cant go, than Ramsey is a solid starter with a good arm and Clemens has good potential.
    RB:B Martin will not carry as much as he did under Herm, therefore he will get more YPC. Blaylock can hopefully return to how he played in K.C. Houston will be more a short yardage back and Washington is a back to create off of screens and tosses.
    FB:D Askew is not proven. Pociask is a big body but is used to play TE. Hopefully he can make the transition a smooth one.
    WR: B+ Coles is a good reciever with great speed and quickness. Mccareins is vastly underrated here and makes some good catches. Coles said Cotchery could be a great WR, he just needs to show more of what he can do. Dwight is mostly a return man and has good speed. Hopefully Smith can make the conversion to WR.
    TE: C Baker has good potential but sometimes drops easy ones. Jolley had about 27 catches last year. Not horrible but he needs to HANG ON TO THE BALL. Have not seen Dreesen in a game so not sure how he is.
    Tackle: B Jones is a solid Right Tackle, Clement is a good backup. I gave this position a B because Ferguson has an unlimited amount of potential but hasnt played in the NFL yet. Maybe a cuple years from now it will be an A or A-.
    Guard: B+/A- One of our best offense positions. In the other postions, it is a lot of "if he can do this' or 'he has a lot of potential, but hasnt shown..." Kendall and Moore have PROVEN themselves to be pretty good Guards. Kendall has the versatility to play center or guard. Some depth would be nice.
    Center: Mangold has a lot of potential, not many centers are taken in the first RD. Teague is a great backup with a lot of starting exp.

DEFENSE
    DE:B-/C+ Kimo was a very solid DE for the steelers last year and helped that defense alot. Ellis was disappointing last year but had 11 or so a year ago. Thomas may be moving to OLB pass rusher. I think that is a better move for him. Johnson is not really good but he is depth.
    NT/DT: B Dwayne Robertson dealt with double teams all last year with Reed on the other side, i think he can handle the 3-4. Pope was some good depth. He can play either DT or DE in 3-4 and will probably sub-in for a couple plays to give guys rest. Pouha is a big body and hopefully he can perform better than he did last year. He will be a good NT.
    OLB:B/B+ Barton is a very good linebacker, he may play in the middle of the 3-4. The only bad thing about Barton are his injuries. Bryan Thomas is said to be experimenting playing the outside in the 3-4 as a passrusher OLB. I think he will do much better at this position than he did as a 4-3 end because he can use his speed more. I dont think he will play all of the snaps there. Hobson may play outside or inside in the 3-4. Look for Hobson, Thomas and Chatham switching. Chatham supposively was a very good back uo for the Patriots. Hopefully he will do the same for us.
    ILB: B+ Vilma is obviously a great 4-3 MLB not so sure about the 3-4 MlLB. Kassell will play the other MLB in the 3-4. He is big and can take on Guards. Hobson might also play at this position, he is built more for the ILB position. Schlegal will be a good back uo
    CB:B+ Dyson is a pretty good corner. He and Barrett will most likely start opening day. Miller might beat out barrett after that. Miller will contribute in the return game. Strait is ok, and is a good 4th Corner. Drew Coleman will be the 5th CB.
    FS:Rhodes amd Coleman or Rhodes and Washington will be the Opening day starters.Maddox and Smith are good backups.

Towards the end didnt go into as much detail,im gettin tired.

2. Buttle

Buttle New Member

I based my statement on a position by position analysis. Rather than look at 2002 lets look a better team the 2004 team. The 2002 team had 7 defensive starters that if not on the Jets would have had a hard time making another NFL roster. We did not have a NFL backup worthy DB. The only players that could have started for anotehr NFL team were Cowart, Abraham, Ellis and Ferguson. BTW I didn't say the 2002 team was the least talented team in the NFL I said it arguably was the least talented team in the league that year. As was the 2003 team. Rather lets look at 2004. By 2004 we had time to rebuild the team a little on defense. I consider the team that started the 2004 season to be the most talented team we have had since 2000. Comparing our team this year to 2002 and 2003 is ato weasy we are betetr now than at almost every position. 2004 is much more of a close call. So comparing next years team to the 2004 team looked like coming into the season position by position below is how I have us rated with upgrades and downgrades. I also don't agree with your analysis of out OL. Our OL has been horrible for years. We have not been able to proect any QB behind center. How many times have you ever seen Pennington with any time to throw in passing situations in the last 5 years. Almost never. He is always forced to throw to a checkdown to advopid a sack. I amgine if we actually tried to apss more how bad it would have been.

Regardless here is a position by position comparison between the 2004 and 2006 teams prior to the season starting.

Defense:

1. Dyson over Abraham
    2. Rhodes over Toungue
    3. Coleman over the rookie Coleman
    4. Vilma over Cowart
    5. Barret over the Barret that started 2004 coming off a very bad 2003 season.
    6. Hobson over Hobson More experience and better player.
    7. Robertson over Robertson Robertson came off a very disappointing 2003 season.

Offense

8. Coles over Moss
    9. McCairens over Mcareins Although McCareins While not coming off a good year he has much more experience and is more proven than the player who entered the 2004 season.
    10. Ferguson over Fabini. Anyone over Fabini is an upgrade. His entire career he has been a walking turnstile.
    11. Moore over Moore. While neitehr are good a 2 year bad evteran is better than a player coming into a season with no expereince.
    12. Nugent over Brien
    13. Graham over Gowin

Tie.

Barton vs Barton. Coming off a dissapointing 2003 season ve coming off a injury riddled 2005 season. Expections are not good for either season. Arguably we have higher expectations for Barton this year in 2004 but the difference is neglible.

Downgrades

1. Ellis over Ellis
    2. Ferguson over whoever is our NT
    3. Abraham over whoever is our DE
    4. Pennington over Pennington or Ramsey
    5. Martin over Martin
    6. Sowell over Askew
    7. Becht over Baker and Jolley
    8. Mawae over Mangold or Teague
    9. Kendell over Kendell
    10. McKenzie over Jones

13-10-1

We have more depth now than we have had in a long time and better starters. Both teams were very young but we have more talnted younger players now. The younger players we took a chance on in 2004 now have more experience. But like I said in my previous post better talent doesn’t win games without good QB play. With a new system, question marks at QB and a new inexpereinced CS the odds are against us. But good QB play can solve a lot.

#22 Buttle, May 15, 2006
    Last edited: May 16, 2006
  3. 28rogerblaze51

28rogerblaze51 New Member

I agree except for the linebackers i would give them a B-

And the QB i would give them a C+ because of chads shoulder ramsey yet to throw a pass for the jets and clemens being a rook, bollinger is still bolly.

4. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Coaching staff - ??????

QB - B

Three quarterbacks with starting experience.

RB - A

Curtis Martin, Blaylock, Houston, Washington. Deep, ability and speed.

FB - A

Askew will EXPLODE if given the chance.

WR - C-

Coles and not much else that scares a defense. Not enough speed or ability.

TE - D

No playmakers here.

O-line - B-

Ferguson and Mangold will help a lot.

LB - B

Vilma, Hobson, Barton, Kassel etc.

Deep and good.

DL - C-

Ellis was awful last season but he's a much better player than that he should have a big bounce back season in 2006. Kimo will help against the run but he's not much of a pass rusher. Bryan Thomas hasn't performed like a 1st round pick. Dewayne Robertson how will he fit in a 3-4?

John Abraham will be missed.

No true 3-4 NT on the roster, not enough size at DT.

DB - B-

Andre Dyson is a playmaker. Justin Miller, Derrick Strait were high draft picks. Barret brings solid depth.

No elite safeties.

ST - B+

Graham is one of the best punters in the NFL. Tim Dwight will be a huge upgrade in the return game. Once Nuge becomes more consistant this will be a A unit.

#24 WarriorRB28, May 16, 2006
    Last edited: May 16, 2006
  5. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

QB: C
    RB: C
    WR: C
    TE: D
    OT: B-
    OG: C+
    C: B-
    DE: C
    DT: B-
    NT: D
    OLB: B
    ILB: A
    CB: C
    S: C+
    K: B
    P: B+
    KR: A-
    ST overall: B

Explanations later...

6. Nesquik

Nesquik Well-Known Member

I know he is good but he isnt better than Trufant, thats all i said.

7. Mexican Buc

Mexican Buc Well-Known Member

Those who just post letters are pretty much just wasteful. Back it up with reason or ATLEAST opinion...

QB: C
    No QB on the roster has a set spot, anywhere. That is a bit scary. I mean having 2 or 3 #1 QB is a good problem to have, but having 2 or 3 #2 QBs is not. Hope you won't have many games where you need a 4th Qrt comeback.

RB: B
    Why is everyone hating here? Granted youth and the future need to be addressed, but that can be effectively taken care of next year. For THIS year the RBs you have will suffice. Lets not cast off Martin just yet guys.

WR:C+
    Both have underperformed. Sure you can pin it on the QB play, no arguement there. But WRs dependent on QBs isn't a good thing. Sure you can say every WRs is dependent on its QB, duh! But even with bad QBs, rotations, shuffles, etc, the great/good WRs (the A and B ones) find ways to make up for it.

TE: C
    Just don't see anything here. It's just there... No stand out, not future project being groomed, nothing.

OL: C+
    Becuase of youth and hope. Since none have proven anything and all you rookies could end up being Kenyatta Walkers, giving more than a B is overconfidence mixed with a little homerism. At THIS point in time, a C+ is the best it can get. And that's actually very good for guessing.

DL: C
    Losing Abe hurts. Even if he doesn't fit the new system. Roberston has underperformed. Overall there is no Big Name player on this line or big game threat.

LB: C
    I would've given it a B+ if it was a 4-3 scheme. But with everyone here predicting to 3-4 I don't like it. Jets LBs always been less bulk more speed. Kind of mosh mentality, abush type. Helping and feeding off eachother. 3-4 usually carries bigger guys (see Pats). Overall, imo, the Jets don't have the right set of player to run this well. Atleast not this year.

DB: C
    Why is everyone so none concerned about this position? I think people are expecting too much from Dyson. The "future duo" as been labeled of Straight and Miller are still inexperienced and far from being considered solid. So reverting back to Dyson and Barret, not as young, pair of CBs. Most A and B rating CB dous have either two #1s or a standout #1 and a solid #2. That just doesn't exist here.

The safeties are "young and comming" so you can't really hate on that. But that doesn't make them any better. Lack of experience hurts, and having these kids as the Support to the already questionable CBs isn't comforting.

Overall, no Big Name DB here either. Dyson is well known, but that's it. There is no solid down, opponent-must-adjust-for presense in this secondary.

8. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

Not true. Dreesen is a guy the Jets drafted last year, and is being groomed. I see a lot of potential, decent hands, big body, good tackler, LSer.

9. Mexican Buc

Mexican Buc Well-Known Member

Expecting many turnovers?