QB options for next year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 73klecko, Jan 3, 2017.

1. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Oh please let reports of the Giants meeting with Geno be true. He needs a fresh start, and the Jets need to move on.

Freddy Mondo likes this.
  2. rsc1589

rsc1589 Active Member

It's clear it's going to be Watson, Turbisky, or Hack

3. JetDan

JetDan Well-Known Member

If the Jets sign Cutler or RG3- I'd be fine with it but I would have to see the contract.

I think the Jets know that neither of these QBs are the future. As it is right now, the Jets are going to be atrocious next year, unless they shock the world. They have to at least compete-and I think Cutler and RG3 would be able to do that. Fans will look at this like another stop gap QB similar to Fitzpatrick but I don't think thats the case.

4. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

There is another way. It's called practice. If they're not impressing coaches enough on the practice field, the chances they are going to succeed on Gameday are exceedingly slim. Coaches want to win, that's what they're paid to do. If they have a guy who is practicing well, they'd be stupid not to give them a shot in a game situation, especially when the top guy is not winning. It's easy for fans to insist they play a guy on the bench, but we're not privileged to see how Petty and Hackenberg are evaluated on the practice field. The fact that Bowles was reluctant to use Petty or Hackenberg, even when the team was performing poorly, says volumes about their readiness. Nothing I've seen from Petty in the three games he started changes that evaluation. This is it for Petty. If he is given the chance to start, he must show something this season because he's in his 3rd year, and with a team purged of veterans, he'll have quite a task.

Snoopdogg likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. If the Jets sign Cutler, I think fans would stay away in droves because they know how that would turn out. With our young QBs, no one knows how things will turn out. I think that would be a compelling reason to go to games, to see Petty or Hack and the other young players develop and see who is going to be able to help the team long term.

Pags2112, PulseJet and Freddy Mondo like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree with all of this except the parts about cutting Petty and/or Hack if they aren't ready to play or play well.

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

hey, you're preaching to the choir on this. i stated earlier in the year all this. unfortunately, i don't think the jets are going to roll with a 3rd,2nd and rookie qb. i am in acceptance stage now

8. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

No they'll come. It's like a highway wreck. You know how it turns out, but you want to see it anyway.

9. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

If you want someone who can be a mentor, is a good team mate and can go out there and actually give some effort, Case Keenum would be a solid pick up. Foles would be my second option. After that, just go with Petty or Hack and draft another QB.

PulseJet likes this.
  10. thankyourevis

thankyourevis Active Member

I hate culter.. i am on board with that. The young qbs no one know how it will turn out part. Everyone knows how that will turn out.

11. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I'm so very looking forward to watching Petty play under not Gailey. And now with Beachum in place, I have some hope that he won't be killed on the first snap. It would be nice if Hack also doesn't get killed.

Anything beyond that is pie in the sky at this point.

Dibben and PulseJet like this.
  12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

As far as options for this year, the most sensible approach is to draft whoever they think can be a 1st year starter - not necessarily Day 1, but doesn't need to sit for a year or two "developing" - and go with Petty, Hack, and the Rookie. Why spend money and waste time and block the development of guys you hope will become your FQB by signing an over the hill retread? We've seen that movie before and know how it ends.

If you really HAVE to sign a vet, talk Peyton Manning into coming back, purely as an emergency starter, but more for his mentoring ability. If he's interested in coaching some day - and I don't know that he is - this would be a great opportunity for him to get experience. And with his knowledge of the QB position, it would be great for the young guys. I know it's an extreme longshot, but if I were Woody, I'd check into it.

13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

So it's come to this? Osweiler? Of course it has! These are the Desperate Jets who will clutch at straws, even used ones that have been stepped on on the dirty floor of your nearest fast food joint.:

http://nypost.com/2017/03/14/brock-osweiler-perfect-for-jets-if-theyre-honest-with-themselves/

Please, god, no!

Draft the best QB you think is there, and let Petty, Hack and the Rookie fight it out. Deny Bowles any chance of playing a washed up bum because "He gives us the best chance to win".

Dibben likes this.
  14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I would not mind Osweiler, provided he is cut by Cleveland. Not because I believe Osweiler is all that good but because you'd be taking a flier on a young QB who has shown some promise in this league and would be extremely easy to keep on the bench if he isn't good. basically not much to lose with an Osweiler. He is also a big body that can play in cold weather

Osweiler, Hack, Petty, may the best man win and we'll sort it out after 2017 - basically what Costello said in that article.

NOVAJET likes this.