QB options for next year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 73klecko, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

He's looked good plenty before but hasn't had a genius helping him yet.

2. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

I don't know that Watson beats Hack out. Hack is familiar with the West Coast offense. Watson may take a year just to learn how to huddle and identify the Mike. For Petty, this is the make or break year. He is 25. He needs to show improvement in TC. I think the best thing for the Jets on offense is to add more weapons, Fornette, Cook, a TE and more young OL. Start Petty, evaluate his growth and if needed turn to Hack. No stop gap QB solution. It won't get the Jets to a Super Bowl.

Agree on Mangold.

3. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Just make a push for Tyrod Taylor when he becomes available and end the madness!

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Of course you don't want your QB to throw picks, but you have to look at them in context. Was your QB constantly under pressure? Was he forced to throw because his team was behind? How good was the other team's "D"? I don't like to see my QB throw an interception, but even Brady does. I do draw the line at 6 in one game! Actually, I would probably yank my QB after his 3rd pick in a game (unless he was Brady), but that doesn't mean he would lose his job off one bad game either. You're right to point to Favre as an example - he's a HOF competitor, and that's not a bad role model.

PulseJet likes this.
  5. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Lol totally in your world he has looked good.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Right. I guess Jim Harbaugh and Andy Reid are ignorant doofuses in your opinion.

7. NCJetsfan

I'd be willing to bet that the Jets take a CB with their 2nd round pick. It's too important in Bowles' D, and the Jets desperately need help at CB.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

If they fail to take a top QB (Watson, Mahomes), I agree completely with your approach. Adding offensive weapons will really reduce the pressure on whoever the QB is.

Despite my repeated calls to draft Watson or Mahomes, I'm hopeful that Petty can step up and be the guy. He showed flashes, but it was really hard to evaluate given the lack of talent around him and the poor coaching decisions. As for Hack, it really bothers me that a guy taken with their 2nd pick has been so coddled and protected, and if that's necessary, that's a huge red flag for me.

9. ColoradoContrails

I think you're right, but it doesn't make it right for them to do that.

10. NCJetsfan

Why doesn't it? It's a HUGE need. Bowles' D is dependent upon a strong #1 CB to shut down the opponents' #1 WR. Even though this is a great class for CBs, that doesn't mean you'll get a great CB in the 3rd round or lower. FA CBs are very expensive. We could find a #2 CB in a middle or possibly even lower round, but we won't find a #1 CB that low. In fact, I think we're gonna be very lucky if Mac doesn't take a CB in round 1. Assuming he can find a trade partner, I could easily see him swinging a trade down to the late teens or early 20s, getting a 2nd round pick and maybe a 4th, taking a CB in the 1st round, nabbing an OT in the 2nd, then grabbing a TE and RB in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

#310 NCJetsfan, Feb 5, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    TwoHeadedMonster and nicg4360 like this.
  11. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Harbaugh has been a great coach...in college. Overrated as coach in the NFL. He received a stacked team and rode it until the talent was no longer there then bailed. He had Smith who was efficient, a RB duo that was solid, Vernon Davis was still kicking ass, and an elite defense. Then by 2014, he had run Smith out of town and tried to run with Kaep, who did okay. But he was nothing without a dominant defense. That defense hid his inefficiencies on offense. Smith didn't have good seasons there as a result of Harbaugh, that's for sure.

Tbh, Philly overreached beyond Reid's talents. He cost them a Super Bowl with piss poor time management. But he's not some QB guru. He had McNabb for so long, he was lucky to have a franchise QB.

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is kind of a unique take on a team that went 21-27 with no playoff games in the 3 years before Harbaugh and 36-10 with 8 playoff games in the first 3 years he was there. Note that the GM who basically ran him out of town after 4 years for personality conflicts just got fired two years later which is one of the most appropriate firings in recent NFL history.

Reid is 173-114-1 after 18 years as a head coach. He's coached 23 playoff games over that span.

Neither Donovan McNabb nor Alex Smith were consensus Pro Bowl QB's except early in McNabb's career. McNabb was a very good QB but not a great QB in the way the other franchise QBs of his era were (Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Brett Favre and Drew Brees are the 4 QB's who most overlapped his career, making the comparison fairly easy.)

Alex Smith has been a game manager for two franchises now and the first punted on him and the second appears primed to do the same. You don't give up a franchise QB without having somebody who is clearly poised to replace him so if the Chiefs punt on Smith it will be a very revealing moment.

13. ColoradoContrails

Well I could certainly see Bowles pushing to take a CB with the 1st pick, but that would just be more Jets "D"-fixation. If I had to pick a "D" guy with the 1st pick, it would be Garrett - which of course he won't be there - or Hooker, who might be. An elite Safety would be more useful than a CB IMO. And if Bowles insists on running a defensive scheme that depends on a top player that he doesn't have, he's a bigger idiot than I I already think he is.

Your trade scenario is conceivable for the Jets, but again, I don't agree with that approach.

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  14. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

Apparently, while in college, favre didn't know that a nickel defense meant an extra corner on the field.

So it is safe to say he did not worry about that stuff. LOL.

15. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

Sure ur joking but seriously if it takes watson more than a week to learn the huddle and MLB, its a major, major flag.

16. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

I'm joking... but it will take him time to learn a pro offense. He would b better served with a red shirt Year.

17. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

Uhhhh high round picks with red shirt years don't we have a couple of those already.

PulseJet likes this.
  18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Prescott, Mariota, etc. did fine playing right away, and they weren't from pro offenses.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

If I thought it would take him that long to make a positive impact I wouldn't be calling for the Jets to take him. Sure, there will be a learning curve, but I think he'll be better right away than anyone the Jets have had in decades.

westiedog1 likes this.
  20. nicg4360

nicg4360 Well-Known Member

This red shirt talk can sometimes be taken a bit to seriously. Aaron Rodgers took 3 redshirt years. Brady took 1 as did Brees. The sky is not falling because our 2nd round pick took a year on the sidelines.

almbleamal, hwismer and PulseJet like this.