QB options for next year

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 73klecko, Jan 3, 2017.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

He would be a big upgrade, but at what cost? What would the Jets have to give up to get him? And at that cost, he would have to be guaranteed to start, which would again be a roadblock to Petty/Hack. Of course if the Jets have decided that Petty and/or Hack really aren't going to be the Answer, then there''s no real harm in blocking them. But still, what are the Jets going to give up? Draft picks? Most likely, and good ones too, which is something they can't afford IMO.

They're not even close to contending, so getting a top QB like Smith is a waste of money and draft picks. Look for a cheaper option to be insurance; draft Watson or Mahomes, and keep looking for their own FQB instead of over-paying, or getting somebody else's OTH player.

PulseJet and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Someone else called Alex Smith a bad QB,

I just provided evidence to not only prove otherwise but to also make the point that we should at least kick the bricks to see if we can get him on reasonable terms. If Romo goes to the Chiefs, Smith becomes expendable and possibly cheap.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

If we could get him "cheap", it might not be a bad idea. I could see letting Petty go (for draft pick?), keeping Hack to let him continue his development, assuming they think he can still be a FQB, but also drafting Watson or Mahomes for sure.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

First you tell me that you may answer, then you tell me that you already answered twice.

There's plain English for you.

If you're a retard.

Sucking media dick is what stupid teams do. And it's what stupid fans think they should do.

Look at the dumbass Texans. They just made a declarative statement about their terrible decisions at the QB position. That'll end well, lol.

Your obsession with the media is dense and weak.

5. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

You asked me for a logical reason why the Jets would want to build up the QB's. I give you two reasons. You don't engage the reasons, you just criticize how I write like some faggot message board english teacher.

And then you say it's "sucking media dick" when it isn't about placating the media at all.

The Jets need to manage their messaging to the league, by way of the media, about the QB's on roster. You think its worthless, or what dumb teams do. But sorry to say messaging matters in this world. Other teams GM's, Coaches, Players and Agents read media reports too. It frames their opinion of what you intend to do.

The football media has made the Jets GM and Coach look clueless about how they are managing the QB position. Like it or not, beyond just wins or losses, what the GM and Coach say or don't say influences the fan base. The same fans that flew banners over the Jets training facility that helped get the prior GM fired.

All the Jets have to say is, "both guys are working hard and making progress towards becoming NFL starters. We will give both QB's every opportunity to become the starter next year." It would do wonders. Listen to Brandon Marshall from 14 minutes on in this interview with Mike Francesa. He doesn't want to get involved, but he ends up doing Mac and Bowles job for them..Too bad he didn't do his own job by actually getting open and catching passes from Petty.

Anyway, your pretty funny. It must be amusing to watch you buy a car.

Salesman: So I see you looking at that Sux2000 sedan, are you interested in buying today?
    Abyzmul: Boy am I! My car just died on me this week, and if I don't have a new one by Monday I won't be able to get to work and I'll get fired!
    Salesman: Excellent... Well, we gotta move fast, that Sux2000 is the last one on the lot and some other guy just called in an offer.....

#285 PulseJet, Feb 4, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  6. James Hasty

Who else thinks Pulsenet and Abyzmal need to get a room?

7. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

I would like to see Petty and Hack battle it out for the starting job, but it won't happen. If the winner goes on to play well, we've found our QB. If not, we draft high next year. Now I'm never a fan of tanking, but with next year's QB class, having a bad season might not be the worst thing in the world. There's at least 4 QB's I can think of worth a 1st rounder in 2018 as of today.

This won't happen though. Bowles wants to retain his job which means he needs to win. We'll probably bring in some scrub and try and pass him off as a stopgap. That is until he also fails and we continue our cycle of bringing in retread after retread for seasons that result in nothing more than a mediocre record and missing the playoffs.

8. ColoradoContrails

This is the continuing misplaced hope: that the Jets will suck enough this year to "win" a high - top 4 - pick in the 2018 draft. The last time the Jets had the 1st overall pick was over 20 years ago (1996)! Since then they've only had as high as #4 twice on their own "merits" (They traded up to #5 to get Sanchez). Last year, as bad as they were, they still only got the #6 pick. And this year, assuming they improve somewhat, AND they have a softer schedule, the odds are that they'll have an even lower (worse) pick. Hoping for a crack as the supposed better QBs next year is wishful thinking at best. It's actually running a HIGHER risk to wait, than to pull the trigger this year on Watson or Mahomes. And if whoever they pick doesn't work out, then they can hope to snag another QB next year, and the next year, and son on until they strike pay dirt.

#288 ColoradoContrails, Feb 4, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  9. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

Shit......watch the pats deal garappollo and end up with a top 5 pick, ahead of the jets. LOL.

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

OMG! I hadn't actually thought about that, but it IS possible!:eek:

kevda5n9ne likes this.
  11. James Hasty

Da Bears!

12. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

I'm not a huge fan of either's pro potential but wouldn't mind them if the value is there. And I'm not.really hoping for a high pick. I absolutely hate losing. I don't want to tank ever. I'm saying the worst case scenario of letting one of our current guys start is a chance at a top tier QB prospect next year. Rosen, D'arnold, Jackson should all be coming out next year (plus many think Josh Allen can be a first rounder). Shaping up to be a pretty strong QB class.

13. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

If we could get Alex Smith somehow for not a ridiculous amount, I'd be thrilled. With his efficiency, our offense would actually be good for once.

James Hasty likes this.
  14. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Uh no it wouldnt. He can't throw the ball deep and you absolutely need an offensive minded genius to make him look good. Huge pass on Alex Smith

FJF likes this.
  15. ColoradoContrails

And we're not going to get him cheap, let alone "ridiculously cheap".

Look, if all you want to do is get to the playoffs, lose and out, never get to the SB, then keep trying to get away with other people's cast offs or OTH FAs. But if you want to go to the SB, and hopefully win, you need a FQB, and they don't grow on trees - you need to grow them yourself. Maybe Petty or Hack are FQBs, but I doubt it. I think the Jets need to grab every potential one they can get until they hit. Start now with Watson or Mahomes, and see what happens.

PulseJet likes this.
  16. PulseJet

Agreed. Though I don't like Watson at 6 and think he is overrated. However the most important thing that is needed, which you seen from nearly all the playoff teams, is a nice clean pocket for the QB to operate. Brady and Ryan have a lifetime to throw back there. And look how the Jets D made opposing QB's look like all-pros cause they couldn't generate any pressure. It starts with the OL.

17. ColoradoContrails

Agreed that you need a good OL, but that's not going to happen overnight, so what should they do, wait until they have a great OL in place before adding the QB/RB they need?

And as you know, I disagree on your assessment of Watson. This guy has all the intangibles, beginning most importantly as being a winner on a big stage under pressure.

How about looking at him this way: If Cam Newton were in this draft would you take him with your first pick? Most people would, and here's an article that compares Newton and Watson:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/co...watson-compares-cam-newton-carolina-panthers/

It's only using 2015 season stats for Watson, but he did improve on 2016, so the comparison is even more in his favor.

Now if you gave me a choice between a Cam Newton and a Tom Brady or Aaron Rogers, I prefer the more "traditional" NFL QB as opposed to the more hybrid style of Newton, but I wouldn't pass up a chance to get a FQB just because of style. Maybe you're right that Watson isn't enough of a slam dunk to warrant such a high pick, but all QBs are overdrafted, and he's not going to be there in the 2nd round - in fact, I doubt he even falls to the Jets. But if he does, they need to roll the dice on the most important position on the team.

18. PulseJet

My point was that Brady and Ryan have had success because they have stout OL's. QB's have been ruined if they aren't protected or have enough weapons. And we really don't know what we have in Petty because he didn't have a very good OL or vet WR's. Yes, keep drafting QB's. But I don't think the rookie QB should replace Petty or Hack, because their story really isn't written yet and Watson isn't a layup by any means. And three high draft picks of QB's in three years starts to cut into your talent level. But in case they don't work out, you have a QB in the pipeline.

And you may be right about Watson. But you know as well as I that College success doesn't necessarily transfer to the pros. He has made great plays but he hasn't shown the accuracy necessary for the pros and throws a lot of INT's. It's a crapshoot. But I would be very hesitant to draft him in the early first and push him ahead of Petty and Hack.

19. ColoradoContrails

My thought would be to draft him and have him compete with Petty/Hack and the best man wins. Most likely Petty - not so much Hack - will beat him initially, but if Petty proves to not be the answer, we have Watson to turn to. It might mean cutting Hack or Petty and signing a vet for insurance (cheap), but they're never going to get where they need to taking half measures.

My thoughts about the OL - because I agree that means upgrading it - look to take an OL with the 2nd pick, preferably a LT, but whoever the best OL is a that point, and signing the best FAs we can, and hoping that Mangold can give them at least 1 or 2 more years. I know that's not the "instant upgrade" you and others want, and it's not really what I want, but we can't do everything in one draft/FA period so priorities have to be set. IMO upgrading the skill positions on "O" is paramount.

nicg4360 likes this.
  20. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

I don;t get he obsessions with not throwing picks. Count the TDs, I say. Think Brett Favre worried about this stuff ? And he is HOF material. Lots of famous guys threw picks, and bad ones.

ColoradoContrails likes this.