Putting your Jets bias to the side, is Sanchez good?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Deathstroke, Jan 1, 2011.

1. gopats88

gopats88 Member

I think everyone is in agreement that he has improved... but I think the completion percentage/accuracy is one of the main lingering doubts that people have.

Also, while you can make a clear argument that Freeman's experience favors him, the argument with Bradford is more clouded. Bradford had 3 yrs college experience going into this year, while Sanchez had 1 yr college, 1 yr NFL experience (+3 post season games)... you could argue which QB "really" has more experience.

I think it is entirely fair to be optimistic, but I don't think that Sanchez will become much better while still completing 55% of his passes. It is something that definitely needs to improve.

2. gopats88

gopats88 Member

right, because everyone else on this board would be afraid to hurt my feelings

3. DRC™

DRC™ Active Member

By saying that I want to see more than 55% I mean more around 60% because that's about the average for an NFL starting QB. He has completed 60% or more of his passes only 4 times this year

4. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

True but youre comparing Sanchezs nfl #s to Bradfords nfl numbers, and Bradford only played in the nfl one year. And the problem with that is you HAVE to look @ Bradfords schedule.

He may have had the easiest schedule in the nfl by a mile, playing against some weak ass defenses

vs Ari
    @ Oak
    vs Was
    vs Sea
    @ Det
    vs SD
    @ TB
    vs Car
    @ SF
    vs ATL
    @ DEN
    @ ARI
    @ NO
    vs KC
    VS SF

Of the 16 games he played this season, only TWO were vs teams making the playoffs.

Of Sanchezs 16 games he played this year 8 of them were vs 10 top defenses, and at least 2 of them were played in basically monsoons

(he was 38/88 43% in the two "monsoon" games)

That said Bradford has looked very impressive this year, but you gotta take the competition into strong consideration.

Oh not to mention Bradford plays in a dome so I dont think there were too many monsoons or snow in there.

#244 dcm1602, Jan 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  5. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

I think a good deal of his bad Comp % is a by product of the game plan put in front of him. Sanchez is asked to make an assload of low percentage passes compared to other QB's.

WSW made a thread that broke down every Sanchez play this year and the fact of the matter is poor play calling on 2nd down caused bad 3rd down situations for him. That is not a good recipe for a 2nd year inconsistent QB.

Look at the Pats, Brady was having a more difficult time playing with Moss this year because he had to take low percentage shots downfield. This was either to shut Moss the fuck up or because of Moss's rep. They (Pats) saw Moss as shot, and correctly judged his continued presence and share of the play calls should be eliminated. It only took that staff 5 weeks to see this problem.

Now, that is not to say with excellent play calling Sanchez is going to be Brady, as that is folly. Nope, that example shows how the best QB's can be put in low percentage situations and suffer for it. Schotty, in weeks 5-14 continually put Sanchez in bad situations. Is it any wonder Sanchez suffers for it?

Sanchez has just played 2 top 3 defenses and had a completion % upwards of 65%. Why is it that when he played much worse defenses his #'s were just awful?

Now there are other factors as well. The Jets have a shit load of dropped balls. Is that a product of the new Meadowlands and the wind? It certainly looks like other teams have major problems in that building as well. Green Bay for example had butterfingers in the game where Sanchez got shut out.

There were several games where Sanchez flat out sucked. That was to be expected.

Anyway, at this point Sanchez is middle of the pack QB. He has improved significantly because there was no way he was sniffing the top 25 last year.

#245 Miamipuck, Jan 2, 2011
  6. gopats88

gopats88 Member

That would seem to put Bradford at a competitive disadvantage... i'm not sure I understand your point.

The schedule thing is noted though... I didn't realize that STL had it quite that easy.

7. gopats88

gopats88 Member

I'm not sure by which measure both CHI and PIT are top 3, but I guess it's not really that important

8. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Points per game......... Pit is #1 and Chi is # 4.....so 2 top 4 defenses....... excuse me, I guess I am a total liar.

BTW Last week Chi was a top 3 defense.......

#248 Miamipuck, Jan 2, 2011
  9. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Sanchez is a dick

10. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

The real question should be "Is he good enough?"

I think a lot of questions about this team will be answered week one of the playoffs.

11. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

The schedule was pretty easy but KC, NO, ATL all made the playoffs and TB and SEA can make it tomorrow.

12. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Bradford still wins.

Its about games started. Its about refining ability. Bradford is easily the better prospect because he's had more experience. He had the ability to refine his skills in college and his rookie year was about easy throws to gain confidence and a rhythm.

That's a horrible argument.

Its been reiterated a thousand times that Schotty's low percentage passes are the result of Sanchez's low comp %. I've watched the games.

In terms of "bad decisions" its been exponentially lower than last year. He's vastly improving from his rookie year to the next.

13. gopats88

gopats88 Member

So, everything else being equal, you would expect a QB with 3 college years to outperform another QB with 1 college year + 4 NFL preseason games + 1 NFL reg season + 3 NFL postseason games? I don't think that it is clear-cut in either direction. It seems like the transition to the NFL is a huge learning curve for QBs regardless of NCAA starts... I am tempted to go with the guy who has NFL experience.

Also consider that the NFL season is longer with a ton more time devoted to practice/study than college.

14. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

there are a lot more than that. you argue for arguement sake and leave out the actuall facts. harris, cro, smith, holmes and ?, can't think of who else, but much more than a backup lb as you cluelessly claim!

15. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

just those 2 or possibly 3 is a lot right there as far as hurting the offense.

16. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

hense why you're so clueless. supporting cast is everything when it comes to winning or losing.

the qbs listed above are all better unless you refuse to see anything but green.

17. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

a mangenious follower calling someone clueless, lol...

18. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

you're conversing with a jets fan that was all over the mangenious during his first season with the jets. funny how quickly they back pedal or hide from they're know it all predictions!

19. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

playoff experience? you say that as if the jets made the playoffs because of sanchez, istead of reallity which was inspite of sanchez!

freeman carried the bucs and had less talented team doing it with, same can be said of cassel. your blind homerism is showing.

20. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

pot calling kettle black, are we. can't you leave out the name calling when losing your poor arguement?