Proves the point I've said for years.....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Royal Tee, Feb 13, 2022.

1. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

That was never an option!

2. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Let's not ignore the money aspects: Seems to me teams "build" not just to win a championship, but to sell seat license for their new palaces. Take a look around the league and you'll see that. Jets and Giants included. Falcons, yes. I mean, it's not perfect, but it's wrong to ignore that aspect of the game plan. Organizations really try for "high tide" to roll in with the new stadium seats and suite sales. We all went through it. Jets just came up short.

3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The Rams are an inspiration, they raised the bar, losing has been unacceptable since McVay got there and went all in on winning. No BS rebuild, "lets be patient" crap. I wish the Jets would take note :(

papapump and PJ4Ever like this.
  4. BrowningNagle

The Athletic
    is worth paying for IMO its super cheap. I subscribe and read the article, it wasn't particularly groundbreaking though.

The jist is that the coaching staff told the front office (over zoom) the types of players that they want for their scheme. If the staff wasn't full of rookies maybe it would hold water, but IF the front office listened (a point not particularly made clear in the article) then they are putting a lot of faith in rookie coaches.

I've never been a believer in putting too much stock in scheme fit myself. I think you acquire as much talent as possible and the coaches' jobs are to make the scheme fit the players.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  5. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

I agree, this is the main thing I do not like about Saleh.

6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I think if the scheme is proven to work then it absolutely makes sense to draft players for that scheme. I know they are rookie head coaches but they are running a system that has been proven time and time again for going on like three decades now? I have no concerns whatsoever with the coaching staff showing the front office who they want and why.

now take it back two years when we were trying to fit players into a scheme that has been dogshit for most of the time it’s been run… That’s how you end up with Perine, Mims and Perryman.

7. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

My sons are 3 and 2. I’m hoping for the Jets turnaround by the time they are old enough to care ha

NCJetsfan and Centiment like this.
  8. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

When my son was 5 or 6 years old he was a huge Peyton Manning and Colts fan. I worked on him relentlessly until he finally changed to the Jets. I feel like I've committed child abuse.

9. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

If my future child isn't a Jets fan I'm finding a way to return them.

NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  10. BrowningNagle

ok but drafting for a scheme is how you end up with safeties (Sherwood, Nasrildeen) trying to play linebacker and the single worst defense in franchise history.

see what I did there? You cherry picked a couple small moves and so did I -
    --

I also dont think Saleh (42) and LaFleur (35) should get the credibility of a scheme working for "three decades now", unless they were coaching up their fellow kindergarteners.

Red Menace likes this.
  11. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

You REALLY cherry-picked though. Nasrildeen missed 5 games and was thrust into a role he probably would have never had if 75% of the guys in front of him didn't go down. Sherwood played 6 games total. Just not a good example, which sucks because there are definitely examples you could make throughout the course of history. And of course Saleh/LaFleur don't get credit for the system but I think common sense would dictate them having a strong case to draft players that fit the Super Bowl winning scheme they are running.

12. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

For God’s sake man, save them while you can! People were saying that 40 years ago!

13. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

The problem is that Jets CS believe Sherwood and Nasrildeen are a fit for this scheme as linebackers, it does not work, no team has LB that are 215lbs, the minimum weight for a LB in these schemes is 240lbs.

Jets have a bad CS, just because a scheme that other teams have used successfully is being used by Jets, doesn’t mean it will translate into success for Jets.

This year is the pivotal year for Jets and CS, a good draft with a core of good players on roster, some key FA signings should put this team in play for a winning season and possible playoff contention, if Jets win 4 games again this year it’s because of the CS.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It’s nice to read and all, but honestly, don’t all organizations do that stuff? Do you guys think that scouting departments don’t talk with every coaching staff in every franchise in the league?

That almost felt like more of a marketing plug for Zoom than it did as a ground breaking Jets insider report.

“With the power of Zoom.”

Ralebird and HomeoftheJets like this.
  15. BrowningNagle

That's exactly the point, they weren't on the field because they were injured a lot. You didn't read the article so it's hard to follow, I get it, but the article cited the coaching staff not evaluating specific draftable players but the "traits" of the types of players that excel in their system. The staff would obviously not be evaluating Nasrildeen's durability, they would look at positive traits for their system.

Sherwood & Nasrildeen might easily have the traits they coveted - quick, smaller linebackers that can cover. Ulbrich might've shown them video of Deion Jones in Atlanta "look what he did in MY system" (laughable if he used that term but maybe). If the Front office took that to heart and they let talented capable guys go (Neville Hewitt 134 tackles with the Jets in 2020) chasing system traits, then they end up putting everything on the shoulders of Sherwood & Nas because of their system fit.
    --

IMO Douglas should be evaluating a Neville Hewitt without regard for Jeff Ulbrich's dumbass scheme. And he should be looking to get linebackers that can actually play linebacker and if Ulbrich can't make it work? well then find a coach who can

ColoradoContrails and Red Menace like this.
  16. BrowningNagle

Speaking of their scheme, I don't watch other teams closely enough anymore to know, but is it common for other coaches to keep their single high safety like 30+! yards back from the line of scrimmage like Saleh/Ulbrich does?!!?

Because that is pretty stupid, especially when the safety they are using (Ashton Davis), doesnt understand angles anyway. No wonder we suck on 3rd downs, the pass reciever is just trying to pick up 7 yards and the safety is coming up 20 yards behind him trying to stop him. In a race to the spot, gee I wonder who is gonna get there first

17. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I’ll let them choose, I’m just hoping by the next 2-3 years the Jets will actually be fun to watch

18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sorry, Red, but you're mistaken. Taking a look at the SF 49ers Roster, following are their LBs and their weights.

Starters are bolded

Fred Warner, MLB - 230 lbs.
    Azeez Al-Shaair, WLB - 228 lbs.
    Marcell Harris - 215 lbs.
    Curtis Robinson - 235 lbs.
    Dre Greenlaw, SLB - 230 lbs.
    Demetrius Flannigan-Fowles - 223 lbs.

Not one single LB on their roster is 240 lbs. You're thinking of a 3-4 D alignment, not the 4-3 that teams that use this system. They want lighter, faster LBs with sideline to sideline speed.

19. cval

cval Well-Known Member

I agree that constitutes child abuse. :)

bicketybam likes this.
  20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member