Proves the point I've said for years.....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Royal Tee, Feb 13, 2022.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I'm 36 and my daughter doesn't care. I'm pretty sure at 21 I'd have felt the same way. I definitely felt that way in 2010.

Also I'm saying the year after, not the rest of my lifetime. If we win one and then take a decade to get back to that level... sign me up.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I think if you want to be able to expect to be in contention in most years, you need to retain most of your draft picks. That doesn't mean you don't trade one or two, but that should be done sparingly. As Br4d and you both pointed out, the Rams will be depleted in draft picks, and they could well be looking at a long drought ahead.

I still believe in Douglas's approach. That's conditioned on what he does this offseason and the results we see beginning next (2022) season. I'm cautiously optimistic that we're on the right path. I do want to see him be aggressive in FA, but not stupid. There's no way to get this team over the hump on draft picks alone, even if he kills the draft. For me, this year is the turning point - they don't need to get to the playoffs, but they need to be in the hunt to end and competitive with everyone...and yes, Zach has to show he's the FQB on the field.

boozer32, NY Jets68, SOJAZ and 2 others like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You should have been a fan of George Allen and the Redskins.

boozer32 and SOJAZ like this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Stafford is one of the most difficult players to evaluate for the HOF because he was on so many bad teams and his team was on the upswing to being a wild card team when they derailed that franchise terribly by hiring Patricia and letting him overpay all the ex Patriots so the franchise crash and burned.

Even still, he ended up being a bit of an empty stat compiler because of the situation. If he gets the Rams to the playoffs the next couple years and they stay competitive, I think he gets in as long as he plays well. But he needs a couple more postseasons.

Brees, Rodgers, Russell Wilson, and Favre are all better than Stafford with one ring and they’re all HOFers. We can probably assume Mahomes finishes with a better career.

Stafford is better than Flacco I believe and definitely better than Foles, Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Jeff Hostetler and Jim McMahon.

I never saw them play but I’d assume he was also better than Mark Rypien, Doug Williams, and Plunkett. Not sure how everyone feels about Theismann?

So he’s better than most of the guys with 1 ring that won’t get in and worse than most of the ones than will get in. Talk about a difficult evaluation.

I’m also a bit jaded because I’ve always rooted for him and think he’s a good guy. He donated $500K to underprivileged kids and schools when he left Detroit on top of all of the charitable work he and his wife did there over the years.

boozer32, papapump and NY Jets68 like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

The excerpt Connor posted from this is intriguing but I can't pay for news in 2022. Especially since I'm pretty sure video exists of that excerpt in one of the Jets docuseries they did in the offseason.

IIMeanDeanII and KingRoach like this.
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

Well yeah but the thing with SB winning teams is that they rarely come out of the woodworks to win one and then dump back into mediocrity. There are some exceptions for those that lost the SB - 2015 Panthers, 1994 Chargers, 2000 Giants, 1998 & 2016 Falcons, etc. The

So I think stringing together multiple good winning seasons and then winning a SB somewhere in the middle is usually what you see. Teams that come out of nowhere like the Bengals usually lose the game and crawl back into their gutter thereafter so it’ll be interesting to see what happens with them.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. NCJetsfan

Sorry, I didn't pay any attention that it was from The Athletic. I couldn't read the whole thing either, but here's an excerpt that someone else posted on Twitter:

KingRoach and Rockinz like this.
  9. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

If he plays for 3-4 more years he's going to push into the top 5 or 6 in passing yards and passing touchdowns. Add on another 2-3 postseason appearances and a win or two and he's a lock for the Hall of Fame in my opinion.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Nah, I'd rather have them be marginally competive for another 40 years.... ;)

11. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Eagles, Seattle, Broncos

Don't think any of them would give up their superbowls to have had continued success/good team.

Win it, enjoy everything about it and then try again.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Eh the Seahawks have been a playoff team for the majority of the decade though and the Eagles have been to the playoffs in 3/4 years after the SB victory despite the coach and roster turnover.

The Broncos went 5 straight years although they’re a peculiar case in the growing trend of hitting the HOF QB lottery at the end of their careers.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  13. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Aaron Donald, Kupp...the biggest playmaker for the Rams. It takes a mix of everything but it starts with nailing the draft picks

14. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I mean from a stats, wins, playoff appearances, and championship perspective, Flacco is as good or better in most:

Wins:
    Flacco- 98/78
    Stafford- 86-95-1

Yards:
    Stafford- 49,995
    Flacco- 41,269

Comp. %:
    Stafford- 63%
    Flacco- 61.7%

Playoff Appearances:
    Flacco- 6
    Stafford- 4

Playoff Record:
    Flacco- 10-5
    Stafford- 4-3

SB Record:
    Flacco- 1-0
    Stafford- 1-0

It would take a lot more winning to turn the narrative, but it’s just my opinion. The other thing is Stafford had 9 years of Calvin Johnson Jr., and as far as I remember the best WR Flacco ever had was 30 year old Anquan Boldin, or maybe 34 year old Steve Smith.

Obviously I’m not making a case for Flacco but to me it’s a sure no for Stafford as of now.

apjbfc and KingRoach like this.
  15. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I think Joe Douglas will eventually think like this once he has built a foundation for the Jets. He needs to re-build the roster first though, so going all in on the draft has made sense so far. Once the core is set, he will start picking up more proven players. At least that is how I view the Jets' plan.

16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Stafford is far superior to Flacco. Not even close. He is better than Eli Manning too. You don't need stats to show you that. Just watch them play. The bad luck for Stafford is he was on a terrible team for so long. It's truly a team sport and the Lions have been run just as bad as the Jets, if not worse.

17. Jonathan_Vilma

With Brady and Roethlisberger retiring, he’s the active leader in 4th quarter comebacks (T-5th all time) and game winning drives (T-7th all time). He lead the league in 4th quarter comebacks twice and game winning drives three times.

I don’t feel like running the numbers but I’d be interested in how many times he finished Top 5 in the major passing categories. He’s also only thrown for less than 4,000 yards twice in the past eleven years and one of those years he was hurt. Flacco only threw for over 4,000 yards once.

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  18. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I agree Stafford is a better QB but I don’t think you can avoid the impact of Win% in HoF voting for QB’s especially modern era QB’s. I think he has a shot with a few more really good years but if he retired say after the 2022 season, I don’t think he’d have a shot unless he won the SB again and sailed into the sunset off of that win.

19. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

I told my sons to support another team and suggested the Chiefs. Classy organisation, good team, great young QB.

Best thing I ever did as a parent.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. Centiment

Centiment Well-Known Member

At least u didn't suggest the Patriots lol