ProFootball Weekly 2009 Preview... Jets dead last

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Petrozza, Jun 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

The only none injury QB year under Herm was 01 when we were 2 and 2. More excuses, in 02 when we backed into the playoffs we had the division sown up when he lost to a 4 & 12 Bears team when the team came out flat.

2. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

I took the liberty of bolding your factual statements that you pride yourself on.

Dang, how can argue against all those facts?

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

We backed in by beating up NE in NE then thrashing the great Brett favre and his 12-3 Packers?:rofl2:

4. nyjunc

At what point did I say those were facts? That is my opinion. Not every statement made is a fact, it's really not that hard to distinguish the two.

5. The Uniform Bomber

Ok, fine. I have no doubt he still would've Hermed the game away even if he was in the NFC Playoffs.

6. nyjunc

I don't think herm ever lost us a game in postseason but maybe a blunder would have cost us. Unfortunately we'll never know.

7. The Uniform Bomber

Word is born.

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Born? Are you trying to say 'Word is bond'?

9. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Taking 2 knees to lose yards before the FG attempt in Pittsburgh could very well have cost us that game.

10. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

But the bottom line is the better team won, despite the QB! Or do you still refuse to grasp that concept?

11. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

You are the only one failing to grasp any concepts here. You said:
    Which prompted a debate about taking Ben's performance, rather than just his statistics which never tell the whole story, and replacing it with Penningtons.

You are the one failing to understand that I've never once subscribed to the theory that the QB is the only position that matters. You continue to apply that position to me because it's the only way you can attempt to debate with me.

You are the one failing to grasp the concept of analyzing an individual performance despite the fact that it's a team game.

Stop embarrassing yourself. It's truly amazing how bad you are at this. I don't think you even realize how foolish you look.

12. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

this guy is totally retarded. when you continuously back shit up with stats in football, without using anything else, your credibility is shot.

13. The Uniform Bomber

Nah, I actually borrowed it from Rage Against the Machine ("Know Your Enemy"):

14. The Uniform Bomber

Ben got his team to a Superbowl. Twice. And made bigtime plays along the way.

When Pennington does that [which will only ever occur in LALA Land), his stats won't matter.

15. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

Ok I'll translate, the rest of the 04 Jets weren't good enough to win a playoff game. With either Ben or Pennington.

16. nyjunc

I don't think it was a good move BUT he missed by inches from 47 moments earlier, if he kicks the ball the same way he makes it from 43 but he tried to overkick it and he went wide.

Remember, our O scored 3 points, we were playing a 15-1 team, a top 5 D, the top seed on the road and we lost in OT. That is a great coaching job just to have the game close let alone a game we should have won if our K makes a kicks.

17. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Buying hot dogs and foam fingers at Giants Stadium has no effect on the team.

Excuses, excuses for Edwards. Last year the Patriots went 11-5 after losing Tom Brady. There are quite a few instances in NFL history where the starting QB was lost to injury and the team still won. Edwards has to take some blame for not being able to win when Pennington was out. What you wrote above implies the Jets success was all related to Pennington and that Edwards was just sort of there taking up space.

Edwards W-L-T record, no matter what the excuses are, indicates he was nothing more than adequate. The guy was below .500. Do you expect me to consider that to be great or even good? C'mon now.

18. nyjunc

I don't eat at the games and i don't buy merchandise but my thousands of dollars every year on tickets and other crap not at the Stadium entitles me to call MY team "we".

The Pats went 11-5 and missed the playoffs, right? They had a team around the QB that went 16-0 the year before. The QB makes that team go BUT they still had more talent around him and still missed the playoffs. You don't get bonus points for finishing w/ a better record and still missing the playoffs.

Which record would yopu rather have. from 2001-2005

Reg season record:

NY Jets: 39-41
    KC: 44-36

Posteason apps:

NYJ: 3
    KC: 1

Posteason wins:

NYJ: 2
    KC: 0

I'd rather have down year or 2 in the reg season surroudned by playoff apps then a bunch of 9-7 years like we had last year where we didn't make the playoffs.

19. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

We beat the Chargers in 2004.

You should stop posting.

20. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

That is fair enough. I would use "we" or "us" with my alma mater, but not with pro teams unless I was on the payroll. But again, fair enough. No need to go any further on that debate.

The point was that, although it was not good that they lost Brady, the Patriots were still good. The head coach still had the team competitive and playing winning football. They lost out on a tiebreaker. They had a better record than several playoff teams, including one that went to the Super Bowl.

But, I'll have to use more examples because you don't want to recognize the 2008 Patriots as being good.

Donovan McNabb went down to injury in 2006 and the Eagles still made the playoffs. Bob Griese-Earl Morrall 1972. A green Vince Ferragamo taking over for Pat Haden in 1979 and then playing well in the Super Bowl.
    I can't continue. Have to eat breakfast now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.