Preseason Schedule Announced

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nyjunc, Apr 4, 2012.

1. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

I disagree, I REALLY think Rex thinks Tebow can take the Jets to the Super Bowl. I think he thinks Tebow can become a great QB.

2. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

It is going to be a loooooonnnnnnngggggg season on this board with stuff like this to contend with.

Let me explain something to you. Tebow was signed to be the back up and he will be the back up barring an injury to Sanchez. Sanchez will get most of the reps in practice and will be the QB with the first string in the preseason, including 2-3 quarters of the third pre season game against the Panthers.

Nobody on this board who is a die hard Jets fan gives a rat's ass about some perceived Tebow-Newton rivalry. In fact, most of us who have been around a long time know not to give a rat's ass about preseason football.

As for us not having football knowledge, you are forgetting that the NFL is a national sport and all of us saw plenty of Tebow last year, including a full game of him against the Jets. I know enough after seeing him play for two seasons that he is not good enough to start at QB in the NFL. He was brought here to be a situational player. That is what he will be.

Sanchez is still a young QB and is going to need and get most of the reps at QB in practice. Tebow will get reps for the wildcat package or whatever package the Jets are designing for him and that is it.

I was not in favor of this trade just because of attitudes like yours that the legions of Tebow fans bring to the table. I hope it works out and Tebow adds a dimension to the Jets offense that makes them a better team for the 5-10 plays I expect him to play each game.

Jets fans root for the laundry, not one or two players. If you want to come here and post intelligently, learn about the Jets and players besides Tebow and realize that we don't care what he did in high school or in college or last season. If you want to come here and post about Tebow and how he will or deserves to be the starting QB, be prepared to take a ton of crap from the real Jets fans.

3. JetsFanatic

JetsFanatic Active Member

Sanchez/Tebow vs. Newton
    McElroy vs. McCown

4. GreenMachine

I like Carolina as the 3rd game. No Giants or Eagles to try and take out bounties on the starters

5. CONN-JET.2.0.3.

CONN-JET.2.0.3. Active Member

I might try to make it to the Jets vs Giants preseason game. That is one of the best games all year to go in my opinion. The seats are cheap and the atmosphere is fun. The last time I went I ended up taking beer bongs with a jets fan who was hanging out with a bunch of giants fans who were too pussy to do it, found out he actually lived in the same city as me and ended up meeting a very hot girl in a farve jersey who I smoked a J with on the exit tunnel while heckling giants fans and then got invited back to party with her friends but I had to work the next day...still a huge regret... :.-(

6. whichfan

whichfan New Member

Ok well let me explain something to you too. You should at least try to get past your own bias because I think you've developed a case of tunnel vision, denial, and are so closed minded, it might be keeping you from seeing the big picture and making logical arguments. A "back-up" in the traditional sense, which is how I sense you expect Tebow fans to look at Tebow, ONLY comes in due to injury or to replace a starter. That's NOT what Tebow is and that has already been made official by the staff.

This is a day 1 starting co-quarterback for all intends and purposes. Tebow will play and will train with the 1st string as well because those are the guys he will play with in the regular season. Try to realize Tebow isn't your typical "back-up". Nor should you expect anyone to talk about him as such. He's not going to be treated as a traditional "back-up" in pre-season because he's not going to be a traditional back-up in the regular season. He also needs to practice with the 1st stringers, because when he comes in off the bench for Sanchez in game 1 he's not going to be playing with the bench. This isn't basketball and your argument makes 0 sense.

Now I don't know what to tell you about how you feel about the Entertainment side and the rest of the NFL and your personal issue with it. Not all die-hard fans ignore it. If you don't care about it, that's fine, but I guarantee you the reason that's a prime time game is because of Cam Newton and Tebow, not because it's Carolina and the Jets. They're also both big time dual pass/rush QB's and Carolina's defense will be a great test for Tebow because they've been practicing against Newton's rushing abilities. NBC chose to make it a prime time game because of that and they got it right because some of us do care about that and there are a lot of college football fans who follow their star players in the NFL. So whether you give a crap about it or not, the point is it's a prime time game because of that potential rivalry. And there's a good reason to believe Tebow's going to get a lot of playing time. But die-hard fans, as you proclaim, don't get their information about their own players from national, mainstream media. And that goes twice for a guy like Tim Tebow who the media couldn't possibly have it more wrong. Die hard fans of football, do know about rivalries such as Tebow/Newton which date back to college. And if you are a die hard Jet fan, then realize Tebow is going to play quarterback for you, and this your co-quarterback and you should start treating him as your own because everyone else will.

And I'm sorry but Sanchez is not a young QB who needs time to grow. How much longer are you going to keep saying this? He's a vet, entering his 4th year as a starter, and Tebow or no Tebow, when you have a career passer rating of 73.2, you're on the hotseat. They were looking to replace Sanchez with Peyton way before Tebow came here. He's way beyond the waiting stages at this point in his career, especially for a guy who's already been to 2 AFC Championship games. He's experienced and his level of expectations are the same as for any other 4th year starter. He's not a baby.

As far as rooting for the Jets? I'm a Patriots/Panthers fan. When your winning has no bearing on Brady getting his next ring, I'll happily root for Tebow to succeed. And that's about the best I can do. And even that makes me feel dirty. I already had to watch Pats and Patriots in a Super Bowl gonna have to watch Jets vs Panthers and the last thing I wanna see is Patriots/Jets in a championship game. Personally I'd rather not have any of it happen but I'm not the one that had any choice in it. The Jets traded for him and I blame the Jets and Sanchez, because if he would have performed well enough last year none of this would be taking place. He wouldn't need "wildcat help". If the Jets didn't butt in, he would have ended up with the Jaguars, as far away from the AFC East as possible and back home where he belongs or better yet, with the Pats and our OC's draft choice, and I could easily go on about my life of rooting against the Jets. So unless you can think of some kind of plan on getting Tebow traded to the Pats or Jaguars before pre-season starts, none of us have any choice in the matter, and being more open minded might just help everyone get accustomed to this entire idea.

PS: Some of us are more than die-hard fans of a team. Personally I'm a die-hard fan of football. Period.

7. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/ad-hominem.html

8. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

Since I live inside the Charlotte market, my obvious first reaction to the Panthers game being national is that I`m pissed because I would have gotten to see that game anyway. To me, that means I have to watch 3 games on a shitty internet stream instead of 2. Hope we at least get this as an annual game, like with the Eagles and the Giants, but I doubt it.

9. laxin

laxin Active Member

Well that “co-quarterback” crap got really old, really fast. Its just wrong. See, thats the problem that everyone has with fans of Tebow. They are not accepting the fact that Tebow is JUST a wildcat QB. And you fall into that category.

Tebow’s role was made clear by everyone in the organization as all that came out of Woody’s mouth was “Mark is out starter”... IMO, Tebow will get on average 10 plays a game. Thats it. Yeah, its a good chunk, but he is NOT a co-quarterback. There’s never been such a thing in the NFL for a reason.

And yes, Sanchez is a young QB. He started one year in college and then was put in the biggest stage in the NFL as the starting QB in NY. He handled it well with a revolving door at WR and RB and a playbook/OC that did not fit his strengths, to say the least. Many Jets’ fans sentiments were to just get a new OC that would give Sanchez a better chance with a playbook that fit his strengths; we got that when Schotty was fired and have hope that now with a new OC Sanchez can reach his full potential, but if he doesnt this year (or potentially next year bc of contract situations), we move on and can at least say we gave him our best shot.

Now when you take away starting reps (as you say) because of a wildcat QB, from the actual starting QB in a new system, you are asking for trouble. Sanchez needs all the reps he can have, and his reps with the starters are much more valuable than Tebow’s, being that he is the starting QB.

As for the Cam vs Tebow, honestly, who gives a shit behind the story? What does it matter. Tebow is playing the Panthers’ defense (in the 2nd half) and Cam is playing the Jets defense (in the 1st half). The are not playing each other. Thats just another bs misconception that the media throws out to try and draw more attention. You can buy into it, but it honestly doesnt matter; its a preseason game. If anything, this just seems like it could be an anual thing being that we played them two preseason’s ago with the Eagles... Are you going to say that the Eagles game is going to Tebow vs Vick... Maybe like God vs the dog killer or some shit like that?

And hahaha and being a Pats fan... it comes out. And obviously you hold something against Sanchez, so it nice to confirm that. If you are fan of Tebow, and therefore the Jets, please hold back some of that bias when talking about quarterback position because Sanchez is the starter, its not a co-quarterback gig.

#49 laxin, Apr 5, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  10. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

This says it all right here. Ill have tickets to this game but I might find an excuse not to go. Gut wrenching

11. NYDeadEye

NYDeadEye Member

You're a Patriot Fan and a Tebow fan -- yet we're suppose to take your criticisms of Mark Sanchez and say they're not biased in any way?

12. whichfan

whichfan New Member

Ok well first of all most people understand there is a difference between "official statements" and reality. They are not always one and the same. You have to be somewhat naive if you cling on to "official statements" to the media as proof of solid evidence of security. And second if you are hell bent on sticking to "official statements" the number they actually spit out, which in my opinion, is just a number to satisfy the media, was 20 and they also said if the offense gets going who knows how many he'll get. They clearly left it wide open. But if you ask me, they have no clue how it's going to pan out without actually seeing implemented and seeing how everything actually turns out. And it will change anyway depending on what defense they face and what game plan they design, week to week. They're just telling you something to satisfy you for the moment. They don't know what this final offense will look like any more than you do at this point and they won't until the regular season begins. That's why they have training camp. By day 1 of the regular season they might scrape the entire idea and trade Tebow again or Tebow might end up being the unquestioned starter. No one knows.

But you also have to think it through realistically. Say Sanchez starts a football game, he throws a pick, doesn't score a touchdown, maybe fumbles the ball and Jets go into half time down 0-14. Say they decide to start off with the "wildcat package" in the second half. Tebow goes down the field and scores. What do you expect is going to happen? After Tebow's "10 plays" are up, they're going to pull him back off the field and put Mark back in? Probably not, and if they do, God forbid Mark blows it. In reality, they would probably let Tebow finish the game.

As far as "rhythm" and "missing snaps", that's clearly an argument and topic that was debated on ESPN and people once again don't stop and think things through. There's some truth to it, but not as much as its being made out to be. First of all, that means we should just throw the whole Wildcard idea out the window from the get go, because if that was true, wouldn't that also apply to Tebow? Better yet, Sanchez fans should have little to fear, because if that is true for quarterbacks, then there should be no way for Tebow to be able to come into the game and score touchdowns since he would never be "in rhythm". Right? How are we to expect Tebow to come in and perform if he's not in "rhythm"? This excuse isn't going to fly.

In reality, in football, QB's are often sitting on the bench in between possessions. And sometimes, depending on the number of 3 and outs, or how the game unfolds, they sit on the bench a lot and get out of "rhythm" whether they like or not. This isn't anything new and if you ask me, throwing a pic, a 3 and out, or generally turning over the ball usually gets a quarterback and an offense off-rhythm. They're still expected to come off the bench and perform when it's their time to play even if it means they had 15, 3 and outs in a game. And as most know, Tebow is a guy that can do that. Heck he sat on the bench for 5 games, let alone possessions when he came in and took over for Orton. So Sanchez, shouldn't have an issue with it either.

Finally, unlike most Pats fans, I hold nothing personal against Sanchez, other than obviously I pull for Brady and am accustomed to a certain level of QB play. But I don't have a problem with him and think he's got a pretty decent arm and try to look at this situation as objective as possible. I actually feel sorry for him and believe he's somewhat of a victim because of his race/background and the stereotypes that go along with it and him being in NY. But as I have said before, he's done himself little favors, both in terms of standing up for himself, or recent playing or off the field "endeavours". And I have always been a sole believer that a successful QB's primary qualities can never be measured by stats.

Now with Sanchez having had back to back AFC Championship appearances, that's usually good enough in my book for an NFL QB to remain the unquestioned started for at least 2 more years even if he has a bad year. In his case however, because of his poor performance to end the season last year, considering all the publicly stated comments by his teammates, as well as this HUGE move by the Jets, when they could have gone for any other guy if all they wanted to do was run the Wildcat, clearly brings up a huge red flag about the Jets' FO faith in him. In the end, this whole popularity will dictate the starter thing is a bunch of nonsense anyway. I think chances are the better guy's going to win the job as is typically the case. Now if they are very close in what they show, then yeah, maybe then, and only then do I see things like popularity come into play. And since ultimately I understand the NFL is a business, and that does play a role, I don't see a reason why anyone should have a problem with it in the first place. We're not talking about an elite QB at this point or a Super Bowl winning QB. And sooner or later even those get the boot. Not even Joe Montana was exempt. Neither was Tebow.

#52 whichfan, Apr 5, 2012
  13. NYDeadEye

NYDeadEye Member

I feel like there's no where lower you can go in terms of Bangwagoning in terms of this guy. A Patriots-Tebow fan? It like epitomizes the definition of bangwagoning.

Are they winning? Are they popular? THEN I'M A FAN!

14. davecrazy

davecrazy Active Member

Don't sweat it whichfan. Most of the people here have drank the kool-aide and think that Tebow is only going to be a backup. Most rational people who understand that everything that comes out of Rex and Woodys mouth is basically a lie get it that they brought Tebow in to compete for the starting job and push Sanchez.

You'll get your wish to see him as the starting QB of the NYJ, because Sanchez is garbage and he won't last 2-3 games before the tebow chants and tebow articles and talking heads on TV and sports radio callers do the same thing they did in Denver, which is to force their hand into going to him.

15. whichfan

whichfan New Member

Not that I feel I should defend myself from being a "bandwagon fan" from a guy whose username is PriasebetoRevis, but actually I'm a Panthers/Patriots fan and became a Tebow fan because I followed John Fox over to the Broncos and he happened to be there who caught my eye as a perfect back up for Newton because of the style of offense the Panthers were running. And while the Panthers have done OK the past decade, I'd hardly call them popular or a team worth jumping on the bandwagon. I'd have a hard time calling anyone a bandwagon fan that's been keeping up with teams for over a decade.

Not to mention, I became a Patriots fan before Brady won his first SuperBowl and before anyone ever considered him "elite". I actually liked Brady back when he looked like this:

[​IMG]

And everyone kept talking about how there's now way he'd ever be in Peyton Manning's league.

I've actually always been a fan of the ultimate underdogs who over achieve and become great leaders with great characters for their team because that's what the teams I've liked have always had. Best real life story in sports and something a lot of people can relate to. And all of them did it the right way by overcoming criticism, seizing their opportunities, and making the best of it. Tebow's no different. He might not be a late round QB pick like Tom or had to play in NFL Europe like Delhomme or bagging groceries like Warner but he's certainly been treated like he shouldn't even be in the draft, and I think he's faced more criticism than those guys combined.

#55 whichfan, Apr 5, 2012
  16. NYDeadEye

NYDeadEye Member

Yeah. A bangwagoning Jets fan. That's almost like an oxymoron. Who the fuck bangwagons the Jets? I grew up in NY, and considering I could have easily been a Giants fans, I was raised a Jets fan, and that's what I am today. So stop making yourself stupid because you just don't become a Jets fan, you're usually, more often than not, raised to be a Jets fan. In fact, I'm starting to wonder if it might be cruel to raise my kids to be Jets fan..

But yeah, you're right -- it's obvious I'm bangwagoning because I choose a username ON A FORUM, based on the best Jets player on the team. Do you think before you talk?

And let me guess, you're from New England, right? right?

But yeah, I'm sure you've always been a Patriots fan. You were diehard before they started their dynasty, and you even followed Tom Brady through High School! God, you're such a good fan.

You see this is why the Mods are giving you warnings and etc, because you get into an argument, WITH EVERYONE. Do you see how that might not be conducive to a forum?

#56 NYDeadEye, Apr 5, 2012
  17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I'll be honest I usually skip right over the crap "WhichFan" spews out because I know he's not a real fan and a Teblower, but I actually took the time to read in this thread and yeah he confirmed he's just a pathetic Teblower..

I've understood my fellow Jet fans being annoyed with these Teblowers but I've also have thought its unfair to judge people based on the "March 2012" join date, but IDK anymore...

This totally sucks because I was excited for Tim Tebow, I like Sanchez but like most of the people on here I root for the team above any/all players that may come or go and I felt/feel like Tebow makes the Jets better as a team in a defined role. But my god I guess I didn't realize the extent of teblowers this guy brings with him - really, really annoying.

Fortunately, I don't think Rex Ryan is going to make any decision based on these people's cries. I KNOW Rex isn't going to give 2 shits about whether or not they are playing a guy who once was a teammate of Tebow - especially in a fucking preseason game.

#57 BrowningNagle, Apr 5, 2012
  18. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Any news that a new season is getting closer is good news. That Eagles game is always must-see TV.

19. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

I never put any stock in a preseason match up it is meaningless.

20. NJGREEN

NJGREEN New Member

This post touched me... This post needs to visable before you can create an account!