Positives From Todays Titans Loss....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Run_N_gun10, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

This is the type of season I expected we'd have. One step forward two steps back.
    Rookie QB, unstable running game, lack of offensive playmakers, poor ST, I mean what did you expect.

Sure we'll win some games and look like world beaters at times but this is what you're going to get with this Jets team.
    This is a year of evaluation from the HC right on down to the 3rd stringers. The most we can hope for is seeing steady improvement in Geno as the season progresses and in our young defense.
    The FO knows the offense needs a major overhaul next season and beyond.

Buckle your seatbelts fellas, it's going to be a bumpy ride.

2. LIJetsFan

LIJetsFan Active Member

I expected Geno to concentrate ball security same as he did in WV. He's playing worse than Sanchez at Sanchez worst. I didn't see him throw one ball away against the Titans and that was the one thing I was happy with up to now. Rookie mistakes are one thing but completely going away from your own self is another. Yesterdays game WAS too big for him. The entire game. The only other time I saw that from him was 4th quarter of the Pats game. This is very alarming. I want him on a short leash from here. I'd give the next man up a chance sooner rather that later if he continues to implode. I hope Rex and co don't intent to give him several years. Those days are over. Next man up sooner rather than later. How much worse can it be. Short leash from here, please!

3. Brian McFan

Brian McFan Member

LOL. So true

4. Brian McFan

Brian McFan Member

After five games? Really? C'mon already..

This is a bit better post. But let's face it, five games isn't a fair barometer. The JETS offense is devoid of any legitimate "game changing" talent (exception: S.Holmes if he's motivated). This is going to be a long overhaul. Defense looks promising, next up, rebuild the offense with a good RB and some receivers. Then, make a fair judgement on our QB. Just my opinion, of course.

#64 Brian McFan, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  5. I'm usually pretty optimistic even in the roughest times..but yesterday really hurt. I've got nothing. I dunno how many more like that I can take.

It's the same bullshit year after year.

When's the last time this offense made a big explosive play on the road?A decade?

6. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I agree. Next offseason will be key. The team will have a lot of cap room and a lot of draft picks so expect many changes on offense and a move towards increasing depth all around.

7. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Yeah, I mean the turnovers are a huge concern but it's fixable. He just needs to learn to protect the football when he is holding it so those fumbles don't happen.

The picks...he's just gonna have to learn from them as the season goes along. Obviously he has to stop throwing them but they are gonna happen. If he can throw less in the last 8 games then he finishes the first 8 with, i'd be happy.

8. mj2sexay

mj2sexay Active Member

Obviously then you don't remember the frozen ropes thrown to Braylon in multiple games (Miami his rookie year, 4th quarter against the Texans, I could go on...). I'm not even disagreeing with you on any point about Geno except for the statement that based on yesterdays game film you think he'll be a better QB then Sanchez. You said it, I didn't and that statement is a fucking joke. He looked awful yesterday. I don't think its fair to be like most and make determinations of the kid's future based on 4 games of football, but if after 16 he doesn't show progression then it's very viable to go out and get a guy in the 2014 draft. His contract doesn't preclude us from doing that like Sanchez's did. Judging by his college career, I genuinely do believe that the turnovers will be cut down. While I DOUBT we win Monday night, it'd be a good place for him to start showing well because Atlanta's defense is banged up and really not that good to begin with.

To say that we would've been a 14 win team with an average QB in 2011 is questionable at best when Mark played at league average. Don't come at me with whatever statistic ESPN made up last week. He had a 17:13 int ratio, and if you go back and actually look at the games, we all remember a QB and team that was resilient and had the ability to come back and play from behind. In fact, his worst year statistically outside of his rookie year came when we had no weapons whatsoever and quite possibly the worst offensive coordinator the NFL has seen of the past 10 years.

9. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

Nobody will take on Mark's contract because he has another two years left on it. But the Jets can cut him next year without a huge cap hit. He is also out for the season. There are no positives from yesterday's game. Hopefully the team is better than that and can rebound and play better. Obviously any team facing the Jets is going to try and rattle Geno. They will put on a big rush so it falls on the OL to pick it up and play better. If not it's a long season. As for Geno improving, it usually takes a new starter 10-12 games before things slow down. We see a big skill set but now we know why the org was not overflowing with praise for Geno and never really named him the starter. Becaue they probably saw the same thing in practice, etc. Definitely in pre-season. I think if this happens on Monday night they will bench him for Simms with Quinn as the backup.

10. displacedfan

displacedfan Well-Known Member

Positives for me:

Powell, Kerley are stepping up as very reliable players. Neither seems to have an explosive ability for TDs, but both are reliable and playing great for us.

DL as usual stuffed Chris Johnson. Speedy/shifty backs were once a problem but the Jets have done a good job limiting RBs.

Nick Folk

Time management was spot on. Granted we didn't use it effectively, but we had the time.

Kellen Winslow is definitely Geno's safety valve it seems. When Geno was struggling he locked onto Winslow and Winslow always made the catch it seemed.

Kyle Wilson didn't play much, only 39% according to Cimini, but I didn't hear his name in a bad way.

The Fullback Tommy, the few snaps I really focused on him, I think he does a good job. I think he's doing a good job as a FB/RB tweener.

11. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

why would a jets game be blacked out in los angeles?

el taco was not even playing.........:rofl:

12. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

All fair points. The only other thing I'd add is that as bad as Geno looked he at least showed some resilience in coming back to make some plays toward the end when the game was looking all but lost.

The unfortunate thing is that the list of negatives would be about 5 pages long...

13. roboz08

roboz08 Well-Known Member

Positives I took from this shit-show:

-Nick Folk
    -Ryan Quigley
    -Jets run Defense
    -Bilal Powell

and that's just about it.

14. joe

joe Well-Known Member

No increase in INTs from last week (2/2)

Penalties cut in half from last week (20/10)

Titans titanic cheerleaders (*)(*)

Idzik didn't deal for Kenny Britt while in Music City :)-o

15. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

All this crying, c;mon now.

A - This is a rebuild year
    B - No one with an ounce of sense knows we're not a SB team yet.

16. inactive23

inactive23 New Member

Sorry if this was already posted, but I wanted to highlight one positive surrounding our d-line:

https: // www .profootballfocus. com/blog/2013/10/01/race-for-rookie-of-the-year-week-4-2/

According to PFF, Sheldon Richardson is the leading candidate for DROY based on their metrics. Whether or not you put stock into their grading scheme is irrelevant - the simple fact is that yesterday's absolutely dominant run d, in addition to the elite interior pass rush that we are starting to develop is a testament to the growth of our defensive line. I'm sure I don't need to count them off for you again, but between Wilkerson and Richardson we have two home runs in drafting first round interior defensive linemen, and Snacks' growth has been phenomenal. I think the dropoff in play has been insignificant much of the time when Douzable subs in, another credit to the staff for finding what I naively suspected to just be training camp fodder - he has been great so far. And of course credit the LB's - between Barnes, Pace, Harris and Davis, our front seven has been fantastic. Davis was all over the field again on Sunday, and it's becoming harder for me to believe he made it all the way to the middle of the third round last year. His development has been just what we needed, giving us a young, athletic presence in the middle of that LB corps.

Overall, what we have is a very versatile group of talented players capable of both stuffing the run and rushing the passer at a high level, a tremendous asset in its own right, but this is coupled with the fact that this group is young. That means this level of play is reproducible - our play is not predicated on a 30-something year old overachiever in a contract year, but rather hinges on the reliable abilities of a group of young, hungry, talented teammates. And they will only continue to grow.

It's interesting to see the pendulum of young, high level talent oscillate every several years. Not to knock the Giants, because I think they are better than their record indicates, but it's interesting to watch the rise of our d-line cast against the backdrop of the "decline" of theirs (I don't think it's a total decline, but their level of play has dropped significantly). It takes a lot to field a talented unit: a combination of home-run drafting (it would appear Richardson, obviously Wilkerson, and hopefully Coples if his career follows the same trajectory), high level play from rotational guys (Douzable), and the occasional diamond in the rough (Snacks - can't believe this guy's rapid development). And we haven't even seen a healthy Coples or Ellis yet this season.

So amidst all the negativity, I just wanted to cast a positive light on a very bright spot on this team. And it will not only be bright for a while, but it should also pay dividends for us as we get the rest of our act together.