POLLL: So how did the Jets do in 2024 Draft?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Apr 27, 2024.

?

How do you grade 2024 Draft?

1. A+ to A-

9.9%
  2. B+ toB-

72.5%
  3. C+ to C-

13.2%
  4. D+ to D-

4.4%
  1. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

Well said, I actually came on here thinking I would regurgitate what I had said previously but not sure whether it's the alcohol or the decades of false hope that I've continued to pass along but your logic is sound. I could just be throwing my money away but it's kinda fun so fuck it, let's all continue to throw shit at a wall and call it Picasso.

Sundayjack likes this.
  2. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Just feels like a strange draft. Two runningbacks, a quarterback and CFL cornerback who never played college football in the middle of the draft after three consecutive trade downs.

Does Joe feel that good about the future of the interior offensive line or defensive line, linebacker and safety?

Maybe I’m dumb but also… couldn’t we have just signed the CFL corner?

Jets81, mezzavo, REVISion and 4 others like this.
  3. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Woody Johnson: "OK I'm going to hand the phone to my brother Chris. "

Every player we draft: "Um. Okay?"

5. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

In a few years I’ll probably only have three remaining takeaways from this draft.

1. The missionary position of drafts.

2. Missed opportunity on a player I’m no longer going to mention by name, so I’ll just refer to him or her as Cock Powers.

3. The Van Gogh of draft boners the Patriots pulled by picking Joe Milton in the same draft as their Round 1 QB of the future. I think that one is gonna be a lot of fun.

REVISion and James Hasty like this.
  6. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Meh. Some head scratching moves for sure. You just can't WASTE picks in the NFL draft and I thought several of Douglas' picks were exactly that. He has done that shit his entire tenure here. And I'm not talking one pick, we're talking several wasted picks.

I would've liked to see the Jets take either Roman Wilson or Jermaine Burton instead of Corley in Round 3. Burton can stretch the field like very few others in college the last few seasons and he's a dynamo. Comes with a little baggage and that's why he slipped but I would've much rather had a deep threat like him to pair with Wilson and Williams. We already have Gipson on the roster who I think could be an effective slot guy for the Jets with good explosion.

Roman Wilson was one of the team leaders at Michigan and their "glue" guy. He played primarily in the slot but he had 12 deep ball catches last year which was amongst the tops in the country. He can easily move from slot to the outside as already proven and again like Burton he did it against much of the best competition in the country. He had a great season for the national champs last year.

Corley's production looks good against mostly weak competition but Burton's upside and explosion are greater and he did against the best comp in the country. And Wilson is the most complete receiver of the three. I felt we could've done better here.

I have said this every year Douglas has been here and I'll say it one last time. Why don't the Jets follow the Eagles and Ravens blueprints in the draft? They clearly have killed it for several years now and it's no coincidence that they're amongst the best organizations in the league.

The Jets could be in that group if they learn to draft better. I've also said on here many times that you almost always go with the players in college who were proven against the best competition. Corley is not that. Hope it works out but hope is not a strategy.

For all the talk on this board about how vulnerable the OL is and one bad move away from a big hole along it I felt Douglas missed a golden opportunity to find another top college OL in the draft.

So many on this board bitched and moaned about the OL and needing to go that direction in the first round but Fashanu is only one guy. The Jets could easily suffer injuries to multiple starters across the line this year given their injury histories and older age.

Made little to no sense to draft two RB's when the OL could've used another piece.

Fellow board members, Joe Douglas is a mediocre GM at best. He will never get another GM gig after the Jets. Do people on here realize the litany of recent Jets GM's and how bad they are? Not one of the recent ones even came close to another GM gig after failing hard here. It's not a coincidence. I don't want to hear it. The Jets will never build long term success with the way that he drafts.

You can't continually miss on better prospects with better track records from better schools year after year and expect to be a consistent playoff team.

Get a proven commodity or an up and comer who has clearly demonstrated his value within a winning organization when you make your next hire Woody "Dopey" Johnson. You'll probably be looking for a new one sooner than you think.

Joe MUST Go.

AndyDrums, mezzavo, REVISion and 3 others like this.
  7. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

B -

I like the first round pick, am skeptical about the YAC King only because from highlights I saw they ran a TON of bubble screens in his college offense and that explain all the yardage. But, do like that they traded up for him which means they love the kid. After that, only the Braelen Allen pick has me excited. IMO these three players are our draft.

James Hasty likes this.
  8. LogeSection2RowJ

No. Since he didn't play college football he had to enter the draft. Never knew that before. One cool thing - he played in the Senior Bowl wearing a Toronto Argonauts uniform.

9. AndyDrums

AndyDrums Well-Known Member

It has gotten to the point where the draft is actually more important than the season! I mean it is more scrutinized, critiqued, and covered than the games are. Having said that, this draft for me is a big meh, kind of like last years. Loved the Fashanu pick. The rest? Who the heck knows. We always seem to draft the "steal of the draft" (Corley) yet when the games actually start, lose much more than we win. With zero faith in our idiot CS, I have no more faith in this team now than I did a week ago.

Sorry

10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Exactly!

11. LogeSection2RowJ

I have similar feelings. Draft coverage is WAY over hyped. I've been to a Radio City Draft, had a media credential for it, and was still bored out of my mind. Do not attend one of these road show NFL draft events. It's the most boring thing you can go to in sports. Stay home and watch on TV. I dislike draft discussion in the season being played. (Maybe December is OK). One thing I noticed this time around was wondering if the fellow TGG who clamored heavily for JD to trade up into round two would next be the same ones pissed and blaming him for not having picks a year from now. Obviously draft weekend means everything. Even the new attention put on "Mr. Irrelevant" means little to us geezers who know the term was coined back when there were what, 12 rounds not 7? 14? I forget. We see how many undrafted FA's make teams now (We had two WR's last year) that the later rounds in the current draft are even less significant.

12. Kronoking

Kronoking Well-Known Member

That's easy. Aaron Rodgers. That is how we got there. And a whole to of standing ovation cheers and "who cares about future 2024 costs or sacrifices. it's a GFIN team!!!" claims coming out of those same shallow outlook people/fans then who now want to gloss over that happening before and simply make the same exact claim today while shitting on this year's draft results. Or any team building approach aspect for that matter that refuses to foolishly pretend that this team is set up in a manner it simply is not. On multiple fronts at that. I mean FFS for somebody who didn't actually follow the NFL you'd legit think that our unquestionably well coached and successful track record franchise was actually coming off a just missed AFC Championship game loss listening to a lot of those isolated logic GFIN takes :)

Overall they get a very solid and encouraging B grade here from me. With a very refreshing approval nod baked in over (shockingly) not allowing themselves to get too caught up in the above BS. Staying out of our own way at #10 and swapping out for a more exciting 3rd next year were great GM'ing moments. To echo some of the others before me I could start my own nit pick player preferences on what WR i'd of liked to see go at 3, but not to a point that loses sight of Corley really being no less of a opportunity fueled crapshoot there then any other WR still left on the board. Which obviously can extend out from there while still not really calling foul on any pick that was made.

That said I do believe Joe got overly cute with all the trade down "value chasing" after cashing in on a layup the first offered. Which ultimately knocks this below an A grade for me. Would of been a bigger overall fan of seeing us just stand pat (again other then getting that next year 3) and play the board on pretty much every one of those picks. I don't believe a trade up was needed to get Corley. Or really anybody we ended up with. Which bigger picture play out ultimately cost us the chance to take the Rattler flyer over Travis, and who i was personally a lot higher on. I'd have also preferred a number of other guys and positional picks still on the board at the time over doubling down on that second RB pick.

All and all and after letting the final results product stew in my brain over night I'm sitting here pretty optimistic over how things turned out. And more so on the 2024 season outlook then I've been at any point before today.

13. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

The Jets by all counts had a winning roster last season, minus QB. Now we have a QB (hopefully) so there weren't that many holes to fill. I believe as most people that the Jets have to win this season, not only that, but go deep into the playoffs to make this whole Aaron Rodgers extravaganza worthwhile. Therefore, I was hoping for a game breaking WR in R 1, however, they were all taken early, so JD did the right thing going for the next best OT in Fashanu. The receiver came in the next pick in R 3, not a game breaker, but seems to be a solid addition to the WR room. I really loved the next pick in Braelon Allen, because I like big backs to wear down an opposing D. The rest of the picks are probably what JD considered the BPA and that's okay because they are interesting, especially the Stiggers pick. Therefore, by the power invested in me by nobody, I hereby award an "A."

Brook!, KingRoach and BradysTornACL like this.
  14. onefanjet

onefanjet Well-Known Member

I voted B'ish because I don't have all the information they do, and I am not qualified enough to judge the workings of an NFL raft/war room, but I do stand by a personal conviction that there is no position more important than an O-Line, and the fact that ours is still patchwork, causes me happiness that they took Olu, but dispirited they didn't supplement the line with more...

tomdeb likes this.
  15. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

This is exactly how I feel.... I really wanted another IOL guy.

Borat likes this.
  16. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I really liked this draft.. A blend between the now and future, Is the responsible way to build teams. Pipeline of players leads to better potential, more competition, and far better depth than we've had In over a decade.

If I had to knit pick, I think two RB's In the same draft Is confusing. However, I don't mind doing things like that In the later rounds. The more you swing, the more chances you are to hit. Odds are far better that at least one of the two turns out to be a real asset to this team.

JT Is the perfect QB to develop, sitting behind A-rod. Can this coaching staff actually develop this kid? Probably not, but In theory, It's the smart approach.

Allen has been an absolute stud In the BIG10.

Stiggers looks like he has some real potential, I love his body control and movement in between breaks.

There was obvious emphasis on power offensive football In this draft as well. We went hard on the offensive side of the ball for once.

Plus. Corley will hopefully bring an element to this offense we aren't used to seeing, I still think If he Is coached up properly, he can be a steal from this draft.
    I also think KEY was very underrated coming out of college, he was overshadowed In that defense, but still was really good.

I think the only pick that I didn't care for was Isiah Davis. Hopefully he turns into a stud for us though. Never know.

I really liked this draft.

Borat likes this.
  17. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Totally agree w your point on 2nd RB when OL was still needy. (????) Head scratcher for sure.

18. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Of course it takes two or three seasons to evaluate a draft, but Douglas really hung his ass out there with most of his picks. It’s one of those cases where he’s either going to look like a genius or a fool, no in between.

19. NOVAJET

NOVAJET "2020 TGG Fantasy Football Champ"

PFF gave us an A, so did I;)

KingRoach likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

With a night to sleep on it, I'm lowering my grade on the draft to a B. Again, I really loved the first 3 picks, and that part of the draft is an A- or B+ for me. (An A+ would have been Alt and Leggette.) The only reason it wasn't an A, was the fact that JD tried to trade up for a WR. WR was a need, but not a bigger need than LT. Trading up would have been an unforgivable mistake imo. Not only could the Jets not afford to give up picks in this draft and/or next year, it would have left the team without a competent backup for Smith, and more importantly would have left the team without a starter-level OT on the roster for next year. We would also have had to give probably our 3rd and one of the 4th round picks, so would have had a smaller draft as well. If JD had succeeded in trading up for a WR, I would have wanted him fired on the spot, and definitely would have rooted for an 0-17 season for the Jets to help ensure that JD never worked in the NFL as a GM again, and that Saleh would never have worked as a HC in the NFL again.

I lowered the overall grade to a B for the main reason I listed above, but also because I really don't understand the last half of the draft. Having 3-4th round picks should have been ideal imo. The Jets could have addressed other needs or double-dipped at WR and/or OT. I don't understand trading two of the 3-4th round picks (which they wouldn't have had if JD had succeed in trading up rather than trading down with the Vikings, and especially the one traded to GB for only a 6th round pick. It was great to get 2-5th round picks and a 3rd round pick in 2025 with one of them, and that's a plus because it gives the Jets an extra early pick next year or as some of the announcers point out, it could be used at the trade deadline this year to acquire a player. Also, if they saw all the picks in the 4th and 5th rounds roughly equal, it gave them another bite at the apple by acquiring an additional pick, albeit lower in the draft. But with other needs, I and quite a few other Jets fans don't understand not addessing those needs. We thought that the Jets needed IOL depth, maybe a 2nd WR, a S and/or a DT. I loved the Allen pick, but don't understand the Davis pick. At first I thought that the Jets didn't think they had a need at SS or DT, but yet they have focused on those positions with their UDFAs. Granted, we don't know everything that the Jets do and don't know their plans or how they evaluated certain players that were avaiable in the last 4 rounds of the draft.

I loved the Stiggers pick as well, but don't understand passing on several prospects and positions of need for the Jets. I'd really like to see their ratings on those players and hear their rational for passing on them. The players they passed up that I question are: Devontez Walker (WR), Erick All (TE), Tanor Bortolini (IOL), Cade Stover (TE), Giovanni Manu (OT), AJ Barner (TE), Jaden Hicks (SS), Sedrick Van Pran-Granger (IOL), Anthony Gould (WR), Hunter Nourzad (IOL), Kitan Oladapo (SS), Sataia Laumea (IOL), Khristian Boyd (DT), Christian Mahagony (OG), Brenden Rice (WR), and Ryan Flournoy (WR). I'm also curious what they see in Jahylen Key that made them use the last pick in the draft on him rather than drafting Leonard Taylor. Not that they have to answer to me or any other Jets fan, but I'd like to know just as a point of learning to better understand what qualities they look for and how they make their decisions.

#40 NCJetsfan, Apr 28, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2024
    tomdeb likes this.